PDA

View Full Version : BOBBING A HAMMER

ZIPGRAVER
08-07-2002, 02:32 PM
What would be the result if I were to bob a hammer on a snubbie? Would I have to put in a heavier spring? would the hammer disintegrate?? would I cry if I make a mistake?

Big Mike
08-07-2002, 03:58 PM
Gary, the general wisdom is that if you bob the hammer, you may not have enough momentum to ignite the primer. You would probably need to increase the spring tension.

RSF
08-07-2002, 05:15 PM
gary i have done it a lot of times without ill effect! the worse that can happen is you need to get a new spring! big deal

glock99_10mm
08-07-2002, 05:50 PM
...the worse that can happen is you need to get a new spring! big deal

or that it becomes a collectors item and the traveling road show says it would have been worth $10,000,000 if someone woulda just left well enough alone :P

ZIPGRAVER
08-07-2002, 07:19 PM

or that it becomes a collectors item and the traveling road show says it would have been worth $10,000,000 if someone woulda just left well enough alone :P

Oh gee thanks for telling me that. :P I know what that can be like because I have 3 numbered Clary prints of the old Great Lakes boats, the City of Detroit III, the Tashmoo and the Put-In-Bay. Jim Clary is an old artist that lives in St Clair and has a studio in Port Huron. The three prints I have were worth about $6,000-$7,000 until my wife had them framed for me for a birthday and the idiot at the frame shop GLUED the prints to the backing. I took them to Clary and he just shook his head and said they were worthless. I was broken hearted but my wife was actually sick. Frame shop is out of business. I still love the prints though.

Did any of you catch the road show last week when they had a Texas made Colt Dragoon copy on it. It was pretty raggedy looking and broken in several parts. It would not cock, it had several broken nipples and it was pitted and worn. It was appraised at between $150,000 and $200,000. OH MAN! It was one of only a couple left in existance out ofd maybe 100 or so made during the CW. Poor guy that had looked like he stopped breathing. Appraiser said it was a national treasure and should be in the Smithsonian.

GunnFixr
12-28-2002, 06:41 AM
If you bob the hammer, take off as little material as you can and get the desiered apperance.

If it fails to ignite factory ammo, tighten the mainspring screw a bit before you go buy a new spring. Do the little things first. Often it will save you some scratch.

Ron L
01-03-2003, 08:46 PM
ZIPGRAVER, I saw that episode but couldn't remember all the particulars. It's one of the shows that I like watching. Raises my hopes that some of my old junk may actually be worth something. :)

There was a segment last week where some guy had a couple of Spencer Rifles and a bullet mold. The bullet mold was worth as much as one of the rifles! I was as surprised as the fellow on the show.

karcent
01-03-2003, 10:00 PM

Oh gee thanks for telling me that. :P I know what that can be like because I have 3 numbered Clary prints of the old Great Lakes boats, the City of Detroit III, the Tashmoo and the Put-In-Bay. Jim Clary is an old artist that lives in St Clair and has a studio in Port Huron. The three prints I have were worth about $6,000-$7,000 until my wife had them framed for me for a birthday and the idiot at the frame shop GLUED the prints to the backing. I took them to Clary and he just shook his head and said they were worthless. I was broken hearted but my wife was actually sick. Frame shop is out of business. I still love the prints though.

Did any of you catch the road show last week when they had a Texas made Colt Dragoon copy on it. It was pretty raggedy looking and broken in several parts. It would not c***, it had several broken nipples and it was pitted and worn. It was appraised at between $150,000 and $200,000. OH MAN! It was one of only a couple left in existance out ofd maybe 100 or so made during the CW. Poor guy that had looked like he stopped breathing. Appraiser said it was a national treasure and should be in the Smithsonian.

Gary:
Don't feel too bad about those prints. Clary tells that ******** story to many people.

The part about the glue is only half ********. The real ******** is the price he attaches to his own art. None on his prints have ever sold for any where near those figures, but he loves to tell people that.

(I have a "City of Detroit" myself)