PDA

View Full Version : Amazon lock box

tororider
03-14-2010, 09:04 AM
I just picked up a couple of these, one for the car and another for a easier access point in my house. They seem to be well made, secure for their purpose, and reasonably priced. Thought I would share in case anyone is looking for something similar.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HBB15U/ref=oss_product

RifleGuy
03-14-2010, 09:19 AM
I've got a couple for our cars; good product.

SavageDetroit
03-14-2010, 01:40 PM
I think there are running about the same price locally. You can get them in packs of 2, 3 or 4 that are keyed the same. I picked up the combination lock one for a few dollars more.

link523
03-14-2010, 03:43 PM
I have one works well in the car. Fireline in westland stocks them. I think there more money.

BigIrish
03-16-2010, 09:29 AM
i've got one in each car, but my experience with them is that the foam they put in them stinks badly, to the point of stinking up your whole car. I took the foam out and re-lined them with material from one of these:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0053984220674a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&Ntt=silicone+gun+case&Ntk=Product_liberal&sort=all&Go.y=0&N=0&Nty=1&hasJS=true&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form1&Go.x=0

The bore store gun cases are cheap and will cut down on moisture build up in the safe if you leave your gun stored in it for any length of time.

i also cut one up and use it in my main gun safe for any contact points with gun metal. Even though I have a heating filament and damp rid, the carpet they put in those gun safes can hold moisture and put a rust spot on a barrel if you don't use the gun often.

Daniels
03-16-2010, 09:45 AM
I saw them at Magnum Force this weekend too. I think they where $25 there as well.

SavageDetroit
03-16-2010, 09:53 AM
i've got one in each car, but my experience with them is that the foam they put in them stinks badly, to the point of stinking up your whole car.
Yeah, very stinky. I hand washed them with detergent and that worked a little. Put them in the dryer (no heat) and that helped a little more. Lined both sides of the case with dryer sheets and after a day the bad smell was gone.

snapshotdod
03-16-2010, 12:47 PM
I have the combo lock one as well, nice toolbox for the car.

76white02
03-23-2010, 09:34 PM
you weren't lying about these things smelling.

My car smelled like exhaust all day...Couldn't figure it out since it's brand spankin' new. Then the smell followed me all day... I was going to complain to the dry cleaners thinking it was my shirt I had picked up that morning and was wearing....

Then, I smelled my holster.. Sure enough, the holster and gun smelled like exhaust. I opened up the safe and BOOM! it hit me..

schnogg
03-24-2010, 06:35 PM
So can you get these in Lansing?

76white02
03-24-2010, 08:38 PM

i got mine from a gun shop. I am sure there is one around that has them. I paid $30.

RifleGuy
03-24-2010, 09:05 PM
you weren't lying about these things smelling.

My car smelled like exhaust all day...Couldn't figure it out since it's brand spankin' new. Then the smell followed me all day... I was going to complain to the dry cleaners thinking it was my shirt I had picked up that morning and was wearing....

Then, I smelled my holster.. Sure enough, the holster and gun smelled like exhaust. I opened up the safe and BOOM! it hit me..
Pull the foam out, soak it with Febreeze, or similar odor eliminator, toss it in the drier with a Downy sheet and tumble on Delicate cycle until dry.

It helps.

sse
03-25-2010, 07:58 AM
What do you guys use to secure them in the car? Bicycle cable?

RifleGuy
03-25-2010, 08:26 AM
What do you guys use to secure them in the car? Bicycle cable?
Yeah, they come with a cable very similar to a bike cable. I have one wrapped around the seat mount in my car, and another woven through the holes in the trunk panels.

Won't stand up to bolt cutters, or a really determined thief, but it's far more work than a casual smash-n-grabber would care to dedicate.

sse
03-25-2010, 08:31 AM
Thanks.

BigIrish
03-25-2010, 10:54 AM

I suspect you could find them at a lot of sporting goods stores, but if you don't want to look around, just go to cabelas.com and order one.

76white02
03-25-2010, 03:54 PM
I emailed the manufacturer to ask if they had any fixes for the smell.

I read on some other forums some companies have been sending out new foam free of charge.

If anyone has a Secure-It brand, they will send you new foam.

76white02
03-25-2010, 07:51 PM
that went real far. How can they NOT know they smell?!

"Zachary,

Thank you for your inquiry. I am sorry that you are unhappy with the smell of the NanoVault. The only thing I might suggest is to use Febreze on the foam. I am unaware of any other complaints regarding the smell of the foam.

Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.

Amber N. Topoleski
Sales Assistant
GunVault, Inc."

Korey5640
06-07-2010, 08:31 PM
I suspect you could find them at a lot of sporting goods stores, but if you don't want to look around, just go to cabelas.com and order one.

Just bought one at Double Action. Keyed one is $24.99 and the Combination one runs $29.99 (I believe). I bought the keyed one for my truck, so far I love it. Just the right size and enough to keep away the casual theft from the vehicle without being obvious or too large.

For what its worth mine had a slight smell but not too bad...maybe from sitting on the shelf at DA for a while?

baddubbin
06-07-2010, 11:41 PM
I bought two of the secure it combination lock versions from midway when they had a sale for $22 a piece. Foam smelled horrible, as expected. Sprayed a bunch of febreze on them and threw them in the dryer for an hour. The smell was pretty much gone at that point, but I let them air out overnight anyways. Worked wonders.

Also, one of them had a defective combination lock. I called the company and an actual human answered the phone on the second ring. They mailed out a replacement lock the next day.

So far I am pleased with them.

06-24-2010, 07:02 PM
I got the Nano 300 safe by Gun Vault ...... they need to get the supplier of the foam to supply a no stink foam or change the formula / process . Nice product but the smell takes away from it !!
Hope the foam is not from China like the dry wall that corrodes everything metal/electrical in the homes it was used in.

Any one used theirs for several months ? Any problems ?

MLG
06-25-2010, 06:43 PM
I got the Nano 300 safe by Gun Vault ...... they need to get the supplier of the foam to supply a no stink foam or change the formula / process . Nice product but the smell takes away from it !!
Hope the foam is not from China like the dry wall that corrodes everything metal/electrical in the homes it was used in.

Any one used theirs for several months ? Any problems ?

I have used 2 of them for over 2 years without issue. The one in the vehicle I use the most, the cable is starting to fray at the box exit point but not too bad. Someone on the forum said the spot welds for the hinge broke but mine are still okay.

FWIW, I would buy the product again without hesitation.

LOL, I have a poor sense of smell so I didn't notice a bad smell from the foam. Makes me wonder what some of my passengers might have thought during the past couple of years!

YZR
07-06-2010, 08:26 AM
I just got the "secure it" from Cabela's for $20 (regularly $30), not a bad deal. I did the Febreeze and drier sheet trick twice and it took the stink out of the foam. Thanks for the tip!

DocCasualty
09-13-2010, 08:05 PM
Just got one from Sportsman's Guide. Soaked the foam liners in Odo-Ban for a couple of hours, ran them through a rinse cyle in the washer, then into the dryer on low with a dryer sheet and the para-dichlorobenzene smell was gone. Good little product for the price!

Stevie-Ray
11-03-2010, 06:49 PM
I got mine a year or so from Top Gun in Taylor. Cost me less than 30, I believe. Nice for quick-hiding when you unexpectedly find yourself at a CEZ. Mine's under the back seat.:grin:

tcb
11-04-2011, 01:34 PM
I have a combination one, but with only 3 numbers it would take someone determined about 17 minutes to open it if they try one number a second.

Farmer Dan
11-27-2011, 11:31 AM
I've got one in my truck. Very handy. I'm sure there is a better safe out there but for the money it would any casual smash and grab thief, if he even knew to look under the seat for it.

04JRB
01-03-2012, 02:47 PM
I use one in my vehicle. I cant remember if the cable came with it, or I bought it separate, but I lock it to a secure point. It is unassuming enough that if I expose it briefly to a passenger that may not know I carry, they wouldnt notice it.

It was an inexpesive simple solution that I have not found a need to upgrade...yet. Im always looking for a better mousetrap!