PDA

View Full Version : RE-Fletching(?)

bluethunder
09-30-2002, 02:48 PM
Well, after too many years of storage,my arrows have lost the fletching. They were some kind of plastic, but I guess they dry rotted or something. All I have is shafts and a bunch of little plastic "fragments". My questions are: First, can I have new fletchings put on, or do I have to spring for new arrows? Second, are "real" feathers any better? If not, what is the prefered material. And finally, who does Re- Fletching locally?(Waterford area) Thanks in advance.

Rob
09-30-2002, 02:53 PM
Well, after too many years of storage,my arrows have lost the fletching. They were some kind of plastic, but I guess they dry rotted or something. All I have is shafts and a bunch of little plastic "fragments". My questions are: First, can I have new fletchings put on, or do I have to spring for new arrows? Second, are "real" feathers any better? If not, what is the prefered material. And finally, who does Re- Fletching locally?(Waterford area) Thanks in advance.

Yes you can have them re-fletched or you can do it yourself, your more than welcome to borrow my tools for doing it.

Feathers fly true'r than plastic veins, but for hunting the plastic is more realistic, feathers are subject to rain and moisture affecting flight :twocents:

bluethunder
09-30-2002, 02:57 PM
Thanks, Rob! I hate to sound stupid :oops: , but , what kind of tools does this involve? Is it something that's reasonably simple, or should I "leave it to the professionals?"

Rob
09-30-2002, 03:01 PM
Its a simple jig to hold the flething in place while you glue them on takes about two seconds to put on a fletch but they have to dry in place I have 6 jigs so you can do 6 arrows at a time.

when the one dries you rotate to the next vein and do those six and so on piece of cake

bluethunder
09-30-2002, 03:03 PM
piece of cake

Are you surre,I do want them to fly true. :wink:

RSF
09-30-2002, 03:04 PM
i use nothing but 4 inch feathers on all my arrows! with a 3 degree offset! the new feathers are almost weather proof never had a lick of trouble with them in the rain either you can hairspray a spray sealant or a powder they make for natural feathers! i use fake feathers so there id no issues

Rob
09-30-2002, 03:07 PM
piece of cake

Are you surre,I do want them to fly true. :wink:

I have all the different angle and twist jigs just tell me how you want them set up and I will let you use the right jigs.

Your knock lock it into the jig so that you can't make a mistake, or better yet get with Deputy and have him show you how to do it, I would but I am a bit to far away

bluethunder
09-30-2002, 03:11 PM
Thanks, Rob. You're a gentleman and a scholar. (But I won't tell anyone,cause I know you have a image to maintain.) :wink:

marine
01-03-2003, 04:41 PM
Thanks, Rob! I hate to sound stupid :oops: , but , what kind of tools does this involve? Is it something that's reasonably simple, or should I "leave it to the professionals?"

Now bow hunting is one thing I know about! The MOST IMPORTANT thing about refletching is the PREPARATION! I suggest you take the arrows to MJC Archery, 3001 Rochester Rd. between 12 and thirteen mile rd. in Royal Oak and talk to Jim Morrow about it. What Cris and Steve are to pistol training, Jim is to archery. Archer of the year (some time in the 90's ) and a Mathews factory shooting pro, Jim has a shop and range specializing in equipment for hunting, 3-d, and target. He is known as the "Bow Daddy" by his friends and regular customers. He specializes in Mathew's bows but is knowledgeable about all things archery.

I'd have a professional refletch your arrows. After while, if you want, you can do it, but it takes experience to do it right, not to mention the right equipment.

Tell him Uncle Walt (a name he dubbed me with) sent you.

MJC Archery
3001 Rochester R.
Royal Oak, Michigan
248-589-2480

bluethunder
01-03-2003, 04:48 PM
Thank you, Sir. :D

CnA
01-05-2003, 09:40 AM
I have a Bitzenburger fletching jig and love it. Years ago I got one of those plastic things that put all three feathers on at once. Big mistake!

Get someone who really knows what they are doing to show you how to do it right the first time. It will save you a lot of aggravation. You might even want replace the old nocks to better ones.

tb
01-08-2003, 12:33 PM
[i use fake feathers so there id no issues]

I must admit in 20 yrs of making arrows I have never seen a fake feather

bensonj
01-11-2003, 11:48 AM
assuming from the nature of replies, you are shooting a compound bow...

when shooting a bow, it is reccomended that one "bare shaft" the arrows being used to make sure that they are the right ones for the bow. This is very important with traditional bows (recurves and longbows), but also applies to compound bows.

in preparing to refletch an arrow, it is important to prepare the arrow so that the best contact between the shaft and the feather or vane is possible.
you should remove all traces of the old vanes from the shafts--light scraping with a blade followed by steel wool should work well. then wipe them with a degreasing solvent such as acetone or alcohol.

you do not need a jig or any tools if you have a decent "eye" and use fletch tape. Fletch tape is a special product available from most archery shops that carry arrow making supplies, or mail order places such as Three Rivers. This is a two sided glue tape with a backing on it. Lay a piece of tape the entire length of your feather or vane, run your thumb nail over it to ensure good contact. Then peel the backing off and lay it on your arrow and again run findernail down entire lenght of vane to make contact. Some people using fletch tape add a drop of glue (ducco) to each end, but i have never found the need. Depending on if you 3 or 4 fletch, you repeat the process till your arrow is fletched. The following vanes or feathers fletched are layed down using your "eyeball" judgement as to spacing. If you are uncomfortable doing it that way, by all means use a jig. I have done dozens of arrows while riding in the passenger seat of someones vehicle while traveling.

the really nice thing about fletch tape is that it is fast and it does last. i have a number of broken arrows used as tree markers that have been out in MI weather for over 5 years now....the feathers look ratty, but are holding on for dear life!

if you are getting back into archery, check out http://www.bowsite.com
you can get answers from some of the most fanatical bowhunters in the country, and it's a great internet resource.

jack
MBH, TBM, MLA

[/url]

bluethunder
01-11-2003, 11:53 AM
Hey, thanks for the info, Jack. Yes, it's a compound bow. I'll look into the fletch tape.Re-fletching arrows while riding in a car? You must be real serious about bow hunting. :D

bensonj
01-13-2003, 11:43 AM
i am ;o)