PDA

View Full Version : Gun Cleaning

bluesoftail
10-24-2002, 09:23 PM
I've been reading about "Gun Grease", and it sounds like it would protect better than oil. I clean my guns regularly, and after every range session, and I'm wondering if "grease" might make cleaning a little more "messy". However if protection from wear is far superior, than I would like to use it.

Does anyone use "grease"?

Also what is the consensus on "M Pro 7, and "Shooters Choice" cleaner/degreaser? I have also read some people use "brake cleaner", but that might not be wise to use indoors, or safe on polymer.

karcent
10-25-2002, 07:56 AM
For me, it depends on the gun. I use Tetra grease on some parts of my 1911s. My Glocks are oiled very sparingly. No grease. Revolvers are also oil only.
The advantage of MPro7 is NO odor and it works. Shooters Choice is also a great product, but it smells.
Brake cleaner is an outdoor use only product and it will get very expensive if used regularly. It is a very good degreaser for crusty old guns.
All of the above products will still require a little elbow grease to do the job right.

LivoniaDan
10-25-2002, 10:09 AM
Combo for me...

LIGHTLY - Grease the slide, rails and hammer where slide contacts, Oil sparingly everwhere else.

M1911A1
10-25-2002, 10:18 AM
I do the combo too. The exposed nature of the 1911 is suited well to grease. I've noticed that cleaning grease is no harder than cleaning an oiled gun.

ZIPGRAVER
10-25-2002, 10:18 AM
Get yourself a can of Gibbs and soak it all down and let it work. This stuff is unreal. :!:

bluesoftail
10-25-2002, 03:43 PM
Thanks for all of your input. I was toying with the idea of grease, mainly because I have a NAA Guardian .380, and the slide has a very large "contact" area, versus the normal slide. The barrel is part of the frame, and it is squared on both sides. The slide rides on these, and it takes alot of oil to cover. I figured this slide definitely needs a little grease, rather than alot of oil.

alex-vitek
12-28-2002, 02:02 PM
Also what is the consensus on "M Pro 7, and "Shooters Choice" cleaner/degreaser? I have also read some people use "brake cleaner", but that might not be wise to use indoors, or safe on polymer.
I just step out the door with the stripped down gun and the can of brake cleaner or carb cleaner. I use these generic cleaners to flush the solvents from the gun and to flush crud out of hard to get to areas.

I have tried the M-Pro7 bore cleaner and it does work; not as good as Ed's Red, but for those people who do not like using home brews it is probably one of the best substitutes.

So far I have not noticed any problem with the Ed's Red or the brake cleaner on the Glock frames or the grip panels for the Ruger autos. I do not think it would be advisable to use either home remedy on any wood grip.

GunnFixr
12-28-2002, 11:48 PM
...The advantage of MPro7 is NO odor and it works... A word about MPro7, while it is a fine cleaner, you should be aware that it has absolutly no lubricating properties. It will strip any and all of the lubrication from you gun (just like GunScrubber). Make sure you reapply whatever your lubricant of choice is after using MPro7.

My personal favorite lube is FP-10 (http://www.fp10.com). It is a fairly decent cleaner, and a top shelf lubricant. It kinda smells like cinnimon so after I use it, I spray the gun down with sheath so my guns smell like guns and not a tasty breakfast treat.

Smokepole
01-14-2003, 08:49 AM
Formula for: "ED`S RED"

I found his little recipe up at our local Sportsmen`s Club.
It`s recommended for defouling black powder firearms,removing cosmolene,and general cleaning.
Here`s the formula:

1 Part mineral spirits
1 Part Transmission Fluid
1 Part Acetone
1 Part Kerosene

NO OLIVE!

mitommy
01-14-2003, 09:04 AM
SigArms recommends to use TW25b from mil.com The people on sigforum all swear by it also. I just completely srtipped the frame and used the TW25 on all the moving parts and rub points and everything sure feels smoother.

alex-vitek
01-14-2003, 09:17 AM
Formula for: "ED`S RED"
I found his little recipe up at our local Sportsmen`s Club.
It`s recommended for defouling black powder firearms,removing cosmolene,and general cleaning.

Invented sometime in the 1970's or thereabouts by Ed Harris, the guy who used to write for the NRA magazine RIFLEMAN. He has also worked for a number of gun manufacturers and written a few articles for some of the other gun magazines. Not sure if he is employed right now or retired but he still participates in a few gun forums and gun email lists.

The formula is excellent for general cleaning as Smokepole mentioned. It is probably the best thing out there for removing lead fouling in centerfire barrels. And, it is under $10 per gallon to mix up.

It does not strip bluing off of guns but will strip the finish off of wood grips. So far I have not heard of anyone having any problems when cleaning Glocks or most other handguns with plastic grips or frame parts. However, there are plastics that will be affected by Ed's Red so always test first.

This stuff can be used to clean loading dies and some metal parts of reloading presses. Do not use on the plastic parts in the progressive presses.

Smokepole
01-14-2003, 09:35 AM
Thanks for the "History lesson"!

Nobody I talked to at the club could remember who "Ed" was.