PDA

View Full Version : Homeland defense rifle

olechopper
11-13-2002, 09:40 PM
I have a question for you all It may sound dumb but i will ask anyway.
i have an ar15 lightweight sporter chambered in 7.62/39 and was wondering if i could change the upper asssy for a .223 assy to make it a
two caliber rifle with a change of a upper assy??

steve

Glock23
11-13-2002, 11:41 PM
Yep, as far as I know. Never heard of caliber-specific AR-15 lowers. I believe Colt sold 7.62x39 uppers as a drop-in component for 5.56x45 (.223) AR-15s for some time, maybe they still do. Only other part I could see looking into would be the recoil spring. Of course you will need new mags.

olechopper
11-14-2002, 09:23 PM
Thanks for the input greatly appreciated,
it's kind of a big expense for me and would like to be sure,
it would be my luck-------

steve

GreggB
11-15-2002, 03:51 PM
You may want to post your question on the AR15.com boards. I am sure someone there would be able to provide with an answer. I have found them to be very friendly and informative boards.

bluethunder
11-16-2002, 11:15 AM
I have a question for you all It may sound dumb but i will ask anyway.
i have an ar15 lightweight sporter chambered in 7.62/39 and was wondering if i could change the upper asssy for a .223 assy to make it a
two caliber rifle with a change of a upper assy??

steve

Should be no problem. Does it have the large or small front pivot pin?Most of the "old Colts" have the large pin with a 'flat blade screwdriver screw on both sides.(but I never saw a 7.62X39 in real life).I replaced my upper( I have a old Colt slabside,no forward assist made in 1976) with a new one. The lower had a large hole and all new uppers have the small hole. But they make a 'offset pin' that makes it all come together. Hope this makes sense to you. If not e-mail me,I'll try to explain more.
Kent