PDA

View Full Version : Can You Explain Choke and Choke Tubes?

LivoniaDan
12-04-2002, 08:24 AM
We have been having a discussion at work about what Chokes are what. We are finding that there is a difference in what we have been taught. This include the basic verbage to describe the various chokes. Open, Full, Half, Quarter, Modified, Improved....

So can some one tell me what is what? :cannon:

GreggB
12-04-2002, 09:15 AM
I am not sure if this is the actual definition of what a choke tube is but I look at them as a device to tighten up the shot pattern for a longer distance. In other words the choke tube help keep the shot closer together for a longer range thus helping to reduce the number of cripples that you have. Hope this is of some help.

LivoniaDan
12-04-2002, 10:06 AM
Thanks.... I guess I should have clarified....

What would be the differences in Patterns B/W chokes at say 40 Yards?

Are some of the term differences due to the manufacturer just wanting to have their own term for their guns pattern at a given distance?

Engsetter
12-05-2002, 01:50 PM
We have been having a discussion at work about what Chokes are what. We are finding that there is a difference in what we have been taught. This include the basic verbage to describe the various chokes. Open, Full, Half, Quarter, Modified, Improved....

So can some one tell me what is what? :cannon:

You mentioned Half and Quarter which I had never heard of and found out why...they are a European term.

Here is a site that explains the differences in chokes fairly well http://www.gunshop.com/choke.htm for a 12 Gauge.

I would say a 20 Ga. choke system should also provide similar patterns at 40 yards. I think manufacturers try to get shotguns to pattern fairly close to the same at 40 yards. (Edit...and that is what the site says...***The 12ga, 16ga, and 20ga. are all patterned at 40 yards for choke evaluation. Also Open and cylinder I have always understood are identical)

LivoniaDan
12-05-2002, 03:13 PM
Excellent.... exactly what I was looking for.

THANX