PDA

View Full Version : Steelhead Fishing

Pnab
03-16-2010, 09:09 AM
What is the best bait and setup for for steelhead? I have read plastic worms and night crawlers are great, but what's the best way to jig them?

Being from the westside I have never fished for steelhead or brown trout so I can use some advice.

Done Deal
03-16-2010, 01:32 PM
Drift wigglers on a bobber

Drift spawn or flies

Cast hardware....

Note: Hardware flingers and drift fisherman don't do well on the same stretch of water.

I dunno how you would jig steel....spring rains bring a river run.

Otherwise, if you are off shore.....trolling.

CnA
03-16-2010, 01:39 PM
Is there any other sites that show a steelhead newbie like me where to go for fishing from a river shore or lake pier?

Both the better half and I want to do some fishing this year.

fbuckner
03-16-2010, 01:43 PM
Michigan sportsman.com

Teamster
03-16-2010, 05:28 PM
goggle a steelhead site,flint steelheaders is one,

who dat
03-17-2010, 11:20 AM
What is the best bait and setup for for steelhead? I have read plastic worms and night crawlers are great, but what's the best way to jig them?

Being from the westside I have never fished for steelhead or brown trout so I can use some advice.
Steelhead-
Fast water...chuck and duck set-ups.
Slow water...fly fish with nymphs
River boat...drop back to the holes with nymphs or hardware
Sight fish on beds...anything to aggravate them
Pier...alewives on the bottom with slip sinkers

Brown-
Big edible stuff

CnA
03-17-2010, 01:25 PM
Steelhead-
Fast water...chuck and duck set-ups.
Slow water...fly fish with nymphs
River boat...drop back to the holes with nymphs or hardware
Sight fish on beds...anything to aggravate them
Pier...alewives on the bottom with slip sinkers

Brown-
Big edible stuff
No huge weighted treble hook option? :nono:

Done Deal
03-17-2010, 03:07 PM
No huge weighted treble hook option? :nono:

That has never been an option.

But, if you have fresh fish and want to take the hen....you drop a spinner right in their mouth if conditions are right.

That is a one shot deal though....and you just lost all your males.

POLISHALE
03-17-2010, 10:14 PM
[QUOTE=Done Deal]Drift wigglers on a bobber

Drift spawn or flies

Cast hardware....

Note: Hardware flingers and drift fisherman don't do well on the same stretch of water.

I dunno how you would jig steel....spring rains bring a river run.

Otherwise, if you are off shore.....trolling.[/QUOTE

drifting a wax worm on a tiny hooks is a good option also. don't forget a 1/4 oz pencil sinker about two feet above the hook.

G22
03-18-2010, 04:54 PM
Ive always used Wobble Glow's in the rivers.

When you see the cars and people start stacking up at Yates Cider Mill, they're in.

http://www.michiganforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5290

sullyxlh
03-18-2010, 05:18 PM
Panther Martin 15
black and yellow body
Brass blade.

who dat
03-18-2010, 09:37 PM
So many browns caught off the pier today the water level dropped. All 2-5 pounders. Great eating.

Pnab
03-19-2010, 07:44 AM
So many browns caught off the pier today the water level dropped. All 2-5 pounders. Great eating.

Ok stooooopid question, where the heck is the peir? I am still finding my way around here. Are you talking about the lighthouse pier?

who dat
03-19-2010, 07:51 AM
Ok stooooopid question, where the heck is the peir? I am still finding my way around here. Are you talking about the lighthouse pier?
That be the one. This time of year the browns are cruising the shallows and you can get them in 5-10 feet of water off the beach side of the pier. I have even caught them in the river although the concentrations are in the valleys between the sand bars along the beach.

I met a guy yesterday who pulled a 7 1/2 pound yellow belly perch in this week, I believe. The DNR is checking it for records. It could be a big deal.

Pnab
03-19-2010, 11:28 AM
That's one big perch!