PDA

View Full Version : Savage opinion needed

Rupestris
12-18-2002, 09:26 AM
I've been looking for a centerfire deer rifle for a while now and still need a little help. What I'd like to get is a Remington 700 ADL but the price is just out of range. I've seen the Savage 110 and 111 packages for around $350-$380 with the scope, sling and case in the caliber I've decided on (30/06). I plan to use a rifle like this for deer season only. I'm sure I'll put several boxes of different ammo through it the first year just to see what it has a taste for, but after that probably only 20 or so rounds per year.
Does anyone have experience with the Savage rifles? I've seen a couple magazine articles that give the savages high marks but I'd like a down-to-earth opinion.

Thanks,
Rupe

RSF
12-18-2002, 10:12 AM
i have had several savages over the years they are very underrated! ! yes a little rough on the finish and actions but that can be curred with ease! my 270 110 shot great! i have abuddy who uses there police rifle the 110fp in 308 he had a the trigger tweaked and the action smoothed up and it is an awesome shooter ! belive me you cant go wrong with the savage!

Maranatha
12-18-2002, 01:04 PM
I Have a Savage 110 in 7MM Reg Mag it has the Heavy Barrell. w/ Harris Bipod and Nice scope....Shoot real nice.

Just a bit Heavy carrying in the woods.

karcent
12-18-2002, 04:10 PM
Savage was recently acquired by Lazaroni of the Warbird cartridge fame.

He is a nut for accuracy and has made some great improvements in the Savage line.

In January, they are going to introduce a new adjustable trigger to their line.

RSF
12-18-2002, 06:28 PM
you can keep that damm lazzaroni rifle i had nothing but trouble with thatdamm rifle in 7.62 warbird/patroit ! aghhhhhhhhh! crooked chambers!

Renegade
12-19-2002, 03:39 AM
We have sold several Savages and have not had a problem with any of them. They are very acurate also.

Dave
12-23-2002, 12:32 AM
Both of my varmint rifles are Savages and I have been very happy with them. I think it is Sharp Shooter Supply that makes an after market trigger for the Savage if you are unhappy with the stock trigger. I found instructions on the internet for tuning my trigger on my 110 and am happy with the results.

Rupestris
12-23-2002, 08:44 AM
Thanks for all the help folks. I don't get to shoot nearly as much as I'd like to and have been happy with the factory triggers on all my guns. Probably tells ya that I wouldn't know a bad trigger if rust fell out of it when I pulled it. Maybe I'll get out more next year and learn the difference.
Looks like it will be closer to May before I get it anyway. There's a Buckmark .22 on the top of the "must have" list. After that I can start working on the Wifey about the Savage. :lol: She likes handguns more than rifles so I have to make her happy first and buy more handguns. :mrgreen:
Rupe

mohavesam
01-08-2003, 10:32 AM
Keep up your info searches on Savage rifles. You'll learn they are some of the absolute best vaules out there, and out-of-the-box accuracy puts some 'Big Green' and 'Bird' guns to shame! I used to shoot alongside a varmint hunter who made 400-yard shots on prarie poodles with boring accuracy using a 110FV in .243. When he fired, they fell, period.

Savage is also 100% American-made and I believe the CEO turned it privately-held again. They'll stand by anything they make.

Their Accu-Trigger design looks like a hit.

Lazzeroni buying Savage? Nope. The Savage Arms Co. IS however building model 16LZ rifles in 7.92 Patriot Lazzeroni caliber, a SS/synthetic model retailing for a VERY reasonable $550!

goldwing2000
01-08-2003, 10:58 AM
I have a 112, which is identical to a 110/111, in .308 with a heavy fluted barrel that will group 10 shots in less than an inch at 100 yds with Federal hunting rounds.

You can't get a much better hunting rifle than that, no matter how much you pay.

:sniper:

Rob
01-09-2003, 12:11 AM
I have a savage markII in a .22LR it's a stand up little rifle.

I use to have a savage 12 ga., it was a decent shotgun.

I would not hesitate to buy a savage product.