PDA

View Full Version : Walleye time!

Shyster
03-16-2010, 01:41 PM
When is the earliest reasonable date to go after walleye in the Trenton channel? Starting to feel the fishing pressure!

fbuckner
03-16-2010, 01:42 PM
when there isnt any ice flows to dodge !

Daniels
03-16-2010, 01:42 PM
When is the earliest reasonable date to go after walleye in the Trenton channel? Starting to feel the fishing pressure!

Right now or earlier.

Daniels
03-16-2010, 01:43 PM
when there isnt any ice flows to dodge !

Unless fishing off the shore. LOL

Ruger
03-16-2010, 04:03 PM
Yesterday!

Teamster
03-16-2010, 05:05 PM
they have the launches in at Elizabeth park yet?

Daniels
03-16-2010, 07:12 PM
they have the launches in at Elizabeth park yet?

It sort of looked like it when I rolled through there last weekend but I could of just missed them.

mikethepike
03-18-2010, 01:20 PM
There are a few walleye in the river...but as of today ...alot of ice still coming down the river in the trenton channel and livingston.

I'd give it a few days because the weather will change again this wknd and temps are to drop which wont give the water temp of 42-45 degrees for spawning range temps they like.

Stay tuned because i plan on putting on another display of whacking and stacking as i did the perch this winter:thup:

Daniels
03-18-2010, 01:24 PM
There are a few walleye in the river...but as of today ...alot of ice still coming down the river in the trenton channel and livingston.

I'd give it a few days because the weather will change again this wknd and temps are to drop which wont give the water temp of 42-45 degrees for spawning range temps they like.

Stay tuned because i plan on putting on another display of whacking and stacking as i did the perch this winter:thup:

I was going to post about the ice yesterday and forgot. Tons of ice floating down the river right now too.

pkuptruck
03-18-2010, 01:29 PM
hehehehehehehehe

I will quietly wait for you guys to let me know when they are in the river... :wink:

then, before work, and during lunch, I will make my way out behind Cobo, and walk the wall, bottom bouncing.... last year totals were 20 KEEPER walleyes, 37 small mouth over 4 pounds... and a few perch.....

not bad for a lunch break!

Ruger
03-18-2010, 08:48 PM
hehehehehehehehe

I will quietly wait for you guys to let me know when they are in the river... :wink:

then, before work, and during lunch, I will make my way out behind Cobo, and walk the wall, bottom bouncing.... last year totals were 20 KEEPER walleyes, 37 small mouth over 4 pounds... and a few perch.....

not bad for a lunch break!

The Queen is in the RenCen and she tells me when the guys are drifting in front of the towers. On a good morning you can limit out out in an hour and its back to the boat launch and home in time for lunch. ;-)

pkuptruck
03-19-2010, 04:43 AM
The Queen is in the RenCen and she tells me when the guys are drifting in front of the towers. On a good morning you can limit out out in an hour and its back to the boat launch and home in time for lunch. ;-)

tell her to look for two or three scruffy guys, walking behind the Dtroit Princess, towards Cobo/Joe Louis... That would be me and my mainenance guy, jigging the wall... LOL

funny , when we see the boats up close...they always watch US to see whats hitting....LOL. and they get really PO'd when they see us walking , and dragging 'eyes out of the water...

good times.... good times! :brow:

mikethepike
03-20-2010, 01:13 PM
Picked up 2 yesterday jigging. Still way early. Should explode in a few weeks:brow:

sullyxlh
03-20-2010, 02:34 PM
You can never be too early....

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t160/sullyxlh/IMG_0768.jpg

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t160/sullyxlh/IMG_0769.jpg

Buzzcat
03-20-2010, 02:49 PM
I know everyone likes Walleye, I do too.

But is there any other freshwater fish that stinks the joint up as much when you cook 'em?

Seriously... I can't figure it out. Baking them is the only thing that's tolerable. But if you put them in a pan, you've gotta live with the fish-stink for a day or two.

What's the remedy/recipe?

pkuptruck
03-20-2010, 05:52 PM

But is there any other freshwater fish that stinks the joint up as much when you cook 'em?

Seriously... I can't figure it out. Baking them is the only thing that's tolerable. But if you put them in a pan, you've gotta live with the fish-stink for a day or two.

never noticed it... I suggest you bring all the fillets to my house and I'll dispose of them directly!

sullyxlh
03-20-2010, 09:19 PM
never noticed it... I suggest you bring all the fillets to my house and I'll dispose of them directly! +1

What's the remedy..Ya gotta gut em first....:hide:

mikethepike
03-20-2010, 09:30 PM
We bake all the fish...i even clean them in the kitchen (winter months) and bake brownies/ cookies to mask the smell:smoke:

pkuptruck
03-21-2010, 03:39 AM
thhis is the BEST solution...

... if you put them in a pan, you've gotta live with the fish-stink for a day or two.

We bake all the fish...i even clean them in the kitchen (winter months) and bake brownies/ cookies to mask the smell:smoke:

We all go to Mikes place and sit around eating cookies andbownies, until the fish is done...

Pretty simple fix if you ask me! :cheers:

(but I am sure Mrs. Mike have a DIFFERING opinion...LOL) :vader:

Medic124
03-21-2010, 07:16 AM

I believe the season is closed from 3/15 until the last weekend in April for the channels? I think open water Sag Bay, Lake St. Clair, etc is open all season. The inland lakes/rivers close for 6 weeks for breeding.

sullyxlh
03-21-2010, 07:47 AM
I believe the season is closed from 3/15 until the last weekend in April for the channels? I think open water Sag Bay, Lake St. Clair, etc is open all season. The inland lakes/rivers close for 6 weeks for breeding. The DR never closes
There is no closed season in MI waters (and Ontario for that matter) on the LSC LSCR DR and Erie
There are different size and creel limits depending on where your fishing though.

These areas are not as inland lakes and rivers.
Also the channels, Livingston and Trenton are part of the DR and are not sub defined.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/dnr/walleye-regs_188471_7.pdf

Medic124
03-21-2010, 08:00 AM
The DR never closes
There is no closed season in MI waters (and Ontario for that matter) on the LSC LSCR DR and Erie
There are different size and creel limits depending on where your fishing though.

These areas are not as inland lakes and rivers.
Also the channels, Livingston and Trenton are part of the DR and are not sub defined.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/dnr/walleye-regs_188471_7.pdf

OK. I am not familiar with the area (more with up north) so I did not realize that it was part of the DR. Thanks