PDA

View Full Version : AR15 Receiver Wobble

Knimrod
12-27-2002, 09:36 PM
I have an Olympic AR-15 with a noticable wobble between the upper and lower receiver. It's diminished substantially with a loaded magazine installed but it drives me nuts otherwise.

Is an Accuwedge the right way to fix this? I also heard that a strategically placed rubber band inside the reciever will also work wonders.

Any ideas?

Lance

goldwing2000
12-27-2002, 09:42 PM
The Accuwedge works wonders.

The same basic thing can be accomplished by a piece of spark plug boot in the rear pin well. Basically, anything to put an upward force on the rear of the upper receiver.

The benefit of using the Accuwedge is that it pushes up and forward, thereby pre-loading both the front and the rear pins.

Worst case scenario, you may have to have the hole in the upper receiver knurled or sleeved to minimize the clearance on the pin.

GunnFixr
12-28-2002, 06:38 AM
Acuwedge is the way to go, but it is no necessary. Your sights are on the same plane and movement doesn't effect the alignment of your sights. It does bother some folks because it makes noise.

The downside is that the wedge can potentially cause your take down pin holes to become elongated.

GunnFixr (USMC Armorer)

goldwing2000
12-28-2002, 11:24 PM
Hey Gunnfixr! Good to see you on this board.

GunnFixr
12-28-2002, 11:29 PM
Hey Gunnfixr! Good to see you on this board.Been here for a while, I just don't post much.

Knimrod
12-29-2002, 12:14 AM
Thanks for the tips guys. I know there is no real issue with accuracy but like I said, it drives me nuts to feel it and hear it. I will try the spark plug boot trick as I have lots of those around but am unsure exactly what to do with it. I'll give it a look-see though.

Lance

GunnFixr
12-29-2002, 12:19 AM
Keep any eye on your reviever holes. Anything that puts pressure on one side of the hole can cause uneven wear making for oblong holes.