PDA

View Full Version : Any good gunsmithing classes near Midland? In Michigan?

Vince from Midland
12-31-2002, 04:58 PM
Hello,

I'm getting the itch to learn about gunsmithing. I'm a novice. I live in Midland, and am wondering if there are any good classes that teach gunsmithing near the Tri-Cities? If not, are there any good gunsmithing classes in Michigan?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Brian
01-06-2003, 03:15 AM
I'm not sure where in Michigan you can get training. I'm currently taking a course through the American Gunsmithing Institute. It's a video course that contains 52 tapes and includes 105 hours of instruction. The instructor is Robert Dunlap. He owns a service facility and has personaly repaired over 250,000 guns. His facility is a warrenty staion for several of the major manufacturers. The course is kind of pricy but I feel it's worth it. You can learn at your own pace and being on video, you can always rewind the tape to get you missed. I'ver repaired quite a few guns with this info. Animal let me use a couple of his as test pieces. Give them a call and ask for the newest catalog. 800 797-0867 or check out the website www.americangunsmith.com They also offer Armorers Courses that are gun specific if you don't want to do the full course.

Have fun :P

Vince from Midland
01-06-2003, 09:01 PM
Thanks for the information, Brian! I've seen those courses advertised, and I'm glad to here your feedback.

What type of tools did you need to buy? Lathe? Mill?

How much money is involved all together including tuition, tools, and other miscellaneous expenses? How much time do you spend on it each week outside of the tapes? How many months/years do you expect it to take you? Is there a big final test when you're done to certify you as a gunsmith?

Thanks,

Brian
01-07-2003, 05:19 AM
I'm strictly small time (hobby gunsmith) right now Vince. With my work schedule from my regular job I don't have much time for what I love doing but that's what's great about the video's. There is testing after each section of the course, four sections total. After you study a section you complete a test and mail in your answer sheet, they grade it and mail it back with the results and your certificate for that section. I've been working on this for just about a year and have completed the Pistolsmithing section and am half way through the Shotgun section. As far as tools, buy what you need as you go. Most of the hand tools you probably already have and the specialty tools just get as you find the need. I've been looking at Smithy combination machines for a while and will probably get one in the spring or summer. The course doesn't include tools but they have specials every once in a while and they give basic stuff like punch sets if you order so many tapes at one time, like the Armorers series'. The cost of the Basic Gunsmith course is around $250.00 and the Professional Course that I'm in now is around $2,400.00. If you join the American Gunsmithing Association, 800 829-5119 you can get a discount for around $400.00 if you watch for the special ads. I just received my monthly magazine, American Gunsmith from them today and it has the ad inside it. I hope to finish the course in the next year if I can get my schedule down to 48 hours at my job. I'm guessing I've got about $4,000.00 in course material, tools and books so far. I have one corner of our bedroom set up with a small bench where I do light work and cleaning. I try to do most of it while the wife is out, she doesn't appreciate the smell of Hoppes #9 like I do. :evil: I've been working on my own guns for fifteen years and when I found this course I had to give it a try. Very happy I did. I tried the mail order stuff but it just didn't cut it. Most of that stuff can be learned from reading Guns & Ammo magazines. There's probably a lot more I could write about Vince. I hope I've helped. Shoot me an e-mail & I will return whatever else comes to mind about the course. Brian45acp@outdrs.net I think the best part about the course is watching Mr. Dunlap on the tapes. He's a craftsman in every sense of the word and an excellent instructor. And he's not afraid to point out his mistakes in a humorous way when he makes them. Give it a shot.

Brian

lineboss
10-21-2003, 05:02 PM
Kirtland community College in Roscommon has a Gunsmith course.

Vince from Midland
10-21-2003, 08:14 PM
Hello lineboss,

I searched their course schedule, but didn't see anything offered. Do you know if they still offer courses in gunsmithing?

Thank you,

marj
02-04-2016, 08:51 AM
Kirtland Community College in Roscommon does NOT have a gunsmith course. They used to offer one, but haven't done so in many, many years.

Mike in Michigan
02-04-2016, 05:08 PM
Vince, Before you spend any big dollars, pick up a couple of AGI's armorer courses for a specific firearm. Use them to see if you can use the format to learn the trade. If you are not self-motivated, the self-study method may not work for you. I bought armorer tapes for the guns I owned at the time. Being familiar with correspondence training while in the military, I found the venue very good for me. I bought their complete package about 18 years ago and updated to CD's when they offered a trade-tapes-for-CD program a while back. I got my FFL and tax license around 1998. Worked it as a hobby for several years, then went "sorta-full" time when I retired 10 years ago. Best investment I ever made in myself. Feel free to call me if you want to talk more about it. Mike 810 348 4112

langenc
02-15-2016, 10:58 AM
Kirtland Community College in Roscommon does NOT have a gunsmith course. They used to offer one, but haven't done so in many, many years.

The instructor was Dick Williams but he is gunsmithing in heaven now.

Might check w/ his son and show there is a demand. Don't know sons first name.

That is Dick Williams Gun Shop S of Saginaw-out in the farm country, not the other one over in the Lapeer area.