PDA

View Full Version : Parkerized

Diverdave
01-04-2003, 10:27 AM
The slide on my CZ-PCR is parkerized. Problem: At one time I had to put the gun in my briefcase and my keys or something scratched a 1/4 in. x 1/4 in. area on the side of the slide. How can I fix it? Thanks.

Diverdave
01-06-2003, 08:50 AM
Is parkerized and polycoat the same thing?

Thanks,
David Luff

CnA
01-06-2003, 10:24 AM
A parkerized finished is extremly hard and durable. You have to really try and scratch it. Are you sure it is parkerized?

Diverdave
01-06-2003, 11:44 PM
Parkerized? No I'm not sure. I do know that is a polycoat. I asked this on cz-forum.com but I haven't had time to research yet.

Knimrod
01-07-2003, 12:14 AM
"Parkerizing" is an old established trade name for metal phosphating owned by the Parker family, which developed the process in the late 1800s. The term has become so common in today's language that it is frequently used as a generic term for any flat, military type finish on a firearm.

A parkerized finish is not the same as a Polycoat finish. Parkerizing is a phosphate coating used primarily on carbon steel parts. It provides a thin crystalline film that enhances corrosion resistance and adhesion. The three common types are manganese, zinc and iron. For firearms, the most commonly used is manganese phosphate which is used as a final finish when appearance isn't much of an issue and runs a medium to charcoal gray (as does iron phosphate). Zinc phospate is a light to medium gray, depending on the hardness of the metal.

As a final finish, parkerizing is non-reflective and offers a small amount of surface protection in it's own right but the real protection occurs because the parkerized finish acts as a base for absorbing and retaining oil which makes for even greater corrosion resistance. Phosphates also have excellent anti-galling properties.

Diverdave
01-07-2003, 08:24 PM
Thanks, Knimrod.