PDA

View Full Version : Crossbow Hunting!

mohavesam
01-05-2003, 07:24 PM
I know crossbows are restricted (ridiculous) for MI archery deer seasons, but does anyone have input on using crossbows for other seasons or game?

The big advantage is quietness, ala near homes or businesses, but there are other gains, such as the much higher arrow/bolt speed, increased accuracy potential, and the ability to use quality optics (accuracy again!). Now to me that all relates to a more sure and humane kill.

How about it? I am thinking of taking that plunge as they aren't cheap!

What do you use / would you recommend?

bensonj
01-11-2003, 12:15 PM
from reading your post, i think that you need to do a little more research on the crossbow as you follow what the crossbow industry has marketed in their advertising.

have you shot one? they are louder than a bow

the crossbow shoots a bolt (not an arrow), which is lighter than a full shafted arrow, so weighs less. the increase in speed does not fully compensate for the less mass of a bolt, so the kinetic energy at impact is probably less (depending on what is being compared) than say a top end compound.

at the MUCC expo last year, i met a young kid on the shuttle bus who had never fired a weapon in his life, yet he had robin-hooded two crossbow bolts at the exhibition range. so, yes, with a crossbow with telescopic sight, it is the easy way to approach hunting. but what is not stated by the manufactures is that the range of the crossbow is much more limited than one would think. The design with the high tech look of the stock, telescopic sight and advertised high fps, will probably make a novice think that they are effective at a range much more than they actually are.

There is probably built into a crossbow, more potential accuracy for its range in that it is held with a gun stock, has telescopic sight, and no effort is needed to hold back the string. However, being of mechanical nature, it must be kept in tune to provide that potential performance. Crossbows and compound bows are much more complicated to keep in tune than a tradional bow, but this attention is needed to make them obtain the accuracy that is built in. Cams/wheels must be tuned to turn in synchonization, all the bolts and screws must be tightened to proper torque, etc.

the biggest difference between the crossbow and archery equipment is that although they propel a dart by means of "a stick and string", they are not hand held, hand drawn like a bow. the crossbow is cocked and held mechanically untill released by pulling a trigger. the bow is held by the shooter until released. basically, the cross bow is a mechanical rifle and as such been placed properly in MI's deer hunting season.

For the bowhunter who has disabilities, the crossbow (with permit)is allowed as a substitute during archery season.

If you are interested in BOWHUNTING, I would reccomend getting in touch with one of the MI bowhunting groups to get some information and opportunity to see what your options are (vast): Michigan Bowhunters, Michigan Longbow Association, Traditional Bowhunters of Michigan. If you are interested in harvesting with a crossbow, find a shop that has a range and shoot one.

jack