PDA

View Full Version : I am beginning to prepare early for next year's deer season

savedbydbelle
01-06-2003, 12:39 PM
I have never hunted before, but am planning on hunting deer during firearm season in 2003. I just sign up for the required Hunter Education Class at the Firing Line in Feb. Any tidbits of wisdom from the wise are welcome. Tree stand vs. ground; public land vs. private; early morning vs. evening, you name it....I've got a lot to learn and almost a year to do it! Thanks.

taurus92
01-06-2003, 01:04 PM
Ground if it has snowed or ice is present. No sense climbing a tree when it is covered in ice! I used a popup ground blind this year and had a few does hang out in the field within 40 yards. I do not bait. All I needed was a doe permit!

PRIVATE land if you can! a heck of a lot less yahoos on private land. Although I have run into tresspassers on private land. One walked not 3 feet away from me and never knew I was there until I sttod up and yelled at his dumb @@@.

Stay out all day if you can. Way too many people come and go and push deer during the mid day.

LivoniaDan
01-06-2003, 01:32 PM
I agree about being on private land if possible. I have only hunted public and this year, some yahoo (thanks taurus92) decided to empty his shotgun on .... well ..... what I'm not sure..... but I heard the unmistaken sound of one of the slugs go close by my blind.......... It makes a distinctive high pitched whine.