PDA

View Full Version : Would You

G22
01-14-2003, 12:07 PM
Would you hunt deer with a .40cal Glock?

goldwing2000
01-14-2003, 12:45 PM
Hell no. Not enough energy. Not accurate enough past 15-20 yards.

It's not impossible but it's marginal enough to not take a chance.

Rupestris
01-14-2003, 01:21 PM
No sir. Personally, I can't think of one semi-auto I'd use on deer. There was a thread on another forum that dealt with this same question. I'll try to dig it up.

Rupe

goldwing2000
01-14-2003, 01:25 PM
No sir. Personally, I can't think of one semi-auto I'd use on deer...

Well, I wouldn't go that far. Assuming you're only referring to semi-auto pistols, a Desert Eagle would be fine (if you could keep it from jamming) or even an LAR Grizzly or AMT Automag.

Definitely nothing that can be considered a "personal defense" weapon, though.

Kouger
01-14-2003, 02:26 PM
Hell no. Not accurate enough past 15-20 yards.

have you shot a glock????????????This is an assinine statement of the year.......I shoot a 35 past that..NO PROBLEM

Rupestris
01-14-2003, 02:31 PM
goldwing2000,
You are absolutely right. That was a bit broad. There are auto's out there that are plenty capable of taking game. While searching for the thread I mentioned I found that Glock even offers(offered) a Glock Hunter 10mm w/6"bbl that comes close to the energy of a .357 at 50yards. Ted Nugent uses a 10mm glock as well but for boar.

Personally, I can't think of one semi-auto I'd use on deer

I was only speaking for myself there. I'm sure it's been done, it's just that I wouldn't try it. First my hand gun skills need MUCH more work Second, there are revolvers such as the 44mag that would be better suited. (that is, if I were looking to buy a new deer gun).
Would I take the shot if a deer got close enough and a auto was all I had? Only if I had the confidence in myself and in the gun/ammo I was using.

Rupe

G22
01-14-2003, 03:08 PM
Just thought I'd throw that out there.
My accuaracy needs allot of work also.
25-30ft, no problem, after that I dont know if I trust my skill.
Hey Koug, maybe one day we can meet at a range & you can show me some pointers on how to hit the paper @ 15-20yds, I've tried with little success(maybe 3-5 out of 10 shots). :shock: 20yds/50ft did good with my buddies Super Ruger Redhawk 10" barrel .44 with floating red dot scope,
that was fun. :P & what a kicker :cannon:

Kimber45
01-14-2003, 03:20 PM
Hey Koug, maybe one day we can meet at a range & you can show me some pointers on how to hit the paper @ 15-20yds, ....

Koug does that by having someone else shoot his guns, :P :rofl:

Jerry
01-14-2003, 03:22 PM
I shot a small deer with my Colt 45 gov. Using Federal Hydra-shock 230 gr bullets.

I was interested in the way the hydra-shock would work and I wanted to see the way it(the bullet) opened up.

The shot was at 26 yards, It was a lung shot, hit a rib on the way in and one on the way out and passed out the far side....bummer.

While I could not find the bullet the exit wound was approximately twice the size of the entry wound. This was probably because it hit bone.

I figure that the bullet made it all the way out because it went through the lung tissue and that tissue is not as dense as muscle tissue.

The deer ran 15 yards and laid down. Ten minutes later I saw it crawl about 5 more yards, that was the end.

I dont own a 40 cal so not too sure about power, but a 45 cal works fine if you treat the shot like an archery shot=close distance and proper shot location=clean kill shot.

I have taken deer with my 44 mag but that was at close range also so I am not sure about long distance shooting at game.

I dont scope my handguns so close shots are a must!

JR

goldwing2000
01-14-2003, 03:23 PM

have you shot a glock????????????This is an assinine statement of the year.......I shoot a 35 past that..NO PROBLEM

Yep. I own a Glock. Out past 15-20 yards, the groups really open up. Of course that could be the 3-inch barrel or the fact that I'm usually firing rapidly to try to similate a stress situation but I stand by my assessment that a standard personal defense handgun shouldn't be used to take large game.

goldwing2000
01-14-2003, 03:26 PM
Ted Nugent uses a 10mm glock as well but for boar.

Yeah... but Uncle Tedley ain't right in the head. :silly:

Heh-heh...

Kouger
01-14-2003, 03:29 PM

Yep. I own a Glock. Out past 15-20 yards, the groups really open up. Of course that could be the 3-inch barrel or the fact that I'm usually firing rapidly to try to similate a stress situation but I stand by my assessment that a standard personal defense handgun shouldn't be used to take large game.

we will leave at .....we agree to disagree......grin

Jerry
01-14-2003, 03:29 PM
Ted Nugent uses a 10mm glock as well but for boar.

Yeah... but Uncle Tedley ain't right in the head. :silly:

Heh-heh...

Ya,,,,but Ted carries his trusty bow with him just in case.... :D

Kouger
01-14-2003, 03:31 PM
I will admit whole heartedly......I am far from the best shot on this board.....

goldwing2000
01-14-2003, 03:43 PM

we will leave at .....we agree to disagree......grin

Deal! :thup:

malainse
01-14-2003, 06:16 PM
In the event you were going to carry your Glock .40 with you as a back-up, close use gun will have to remember that if using a full size would have to put a plug in the magazine. Law states that he handgun must not be capable of holding more than 9 rounds in the barrel and magazine combined while deer hunting.

Just an FYI so you do not jammed up....... :roll:

mohavesam
01-14-2003, 08:14 PM
I guess if the .40 gang-gun were your only handgun, it would have to do...

It is equal to the hottest 185-gr .45 ACP, a great round inside a couple dozen yards, but-

But life is short - buy something more specific to the task! Handgun hunting is all about bullet placement - more akin to archery than long-gun hunting in most ways. Almost any open-sighted floating-barrel auto-loader is just not generally capable of the 2-3" maximum first-shot accuracy needed at the maximum range of ethical hunters. That is, unless the gun has been tuned or such.

My best autos are all but twice as inaccurate on the first shot as the aggregate groups that follow. For first shot accuracy I turn to a good revolver or better yet, a Contender or Encore. Therein lies no need for excuses...

Rolex Dr.
01-15-2003, 12:40 AM
I hunt with a .44 SRH for deer and took my 1st deer this year my 1st year hunting with my pistol

But I also carried my .45 Kimber 3" Ultra CDP II

I did so for racoons, we have a bad problem on our farm with these furry moving targets

I shot one about 20 feet up a tree from about 15-18 yards away.

I had only 230 grain FMJ with me. The shot hit him and he just stopped moving, kicked once and that was it. SO i searched for a few minutes searching for the shell casing (1st animal I shot with the gun i keep the shell as a trophy) after picking it up I had to figure who to get his furry butt out of the top of the tree???

SO when I grabbed the trunk to shake it, he lept like superman from the top of the tree and hit the forest floor running like a son of a gun. So shocked I could not draw and shoot again.

Well after collecting my thoughts I tracked him via the blood trail.

He must of lost 1/2 his blood based on the trail, he went 65 yards to the edge of the woods, 100+ across a corner of a corn field and another 25 yards to a den tree in the woods again. Almost 200 yards with a hole the size of your thumb in a 12-15 lb animal. I never got the little sucker, but I know he never recovered, with all the blood loss, he is probably stuck in that hollow old tree.

I learned a valuable lesson NO FMJ ammo on anything I want to die, just blows right through them.

The next 'coon I shot was a bigger one but he met is maker with a 185 grain Rem Golden Sabre hollow point. 25 yards running away from me ( missed 1st shot) right in the ass (sorry coons are small targets when running on all 4s) He probably skidded farther then he ran after the bullet hit him. And WOW those HP open like a bomb exploded

Jamie

The Racoon Hunter :D

RSF
01-15-2003, 01:14 AM
let me think my 50 ae desert eagle has never jammed in over 700 rnds! but thenagaini take care of my toys! :shock:

goldwing2000
01-15-2003, 09:01 AM
let me think my 50 ae desert eagle has never jammed in over 700 rnds! but thenagaini take care of my toys!
I had a Desert Eagle .44 mag that wouldn't go through a magazine without at least one failure to extract, stovepipe or double feed. The gun was immaculately kept, so "taking care of my toys" was not an issue. It sucked from the day I bought it.

Do you have the Mk XIX? Mine was a Mk VII, so that may be the difference. The new ones may be better but I'm not willing to drop $1200 for the chance to find out.

I traded it for a Colt Match Target Lightweight AR-15 and I'm much happier.

Oh... and one more thing I've been meaning to ask you for months, now: What's with all the exclamation points in your posts? Are you really that excited?? :!: :?:

RSF
01-15-2003, 10:45 AM
i'am always excited! didnt mean for it to sound like you dont take care of your toys. mine was a new series! the only reason i bought it was it was 600.00 bucks from a divorce sale! heheheh! with 5 magazines and holster

goldwing2000
01-15-2003, 10:53 AM
That is a helluva deal!

Still... I'm pretty much soured on a DE for life, now. I'll stick with magnum revolvers and moderate autos.

Besides... $600 buys me 450 rounds of .50BMG. :biggrin:

RSF
01-15-2003, 10:56 AM
yeah 50bmg

m52a2
05-26-2009, 12:22 AM
Not enough energy or velocity for hunting deer.

327poc
05-26-2009, 06:32 AM
Yes I would and I have before. I always carried my old G22 for shots no further than 20 yards. Not sure if I would take a shot past that or not. I just felt out to 20 yards that I could make the shot and put the deer down.

Done Deal
05-26-2009, 06:33 AM
This has to be a record.....

Has anybody else topped six years????

G22
05-26-2009, 01:02 PM
This has to be a record.....

Has anybody else topped six years????

:laugh: Not sure but its 6 years later & I still have not attempted to use my .40 for deer ;)

After my buddy got a few with his .44 Redhawk I had to get one and it is now my handgun of choice for deer.

wadevb1
05-26-2009, 10:27 PM
I shot enough deer that lost that were struck by vehicles to conclude the .40 isn't a deer taker. A 10mm would be interesting but not the 40.

Groo
05-26-2009, 10:57 PM
well in case someone else is thinking it....

you'd need a custom mag to make it legal. maybe get a 10 rounder then sick an eraser inside the spring.

I'd still only use it as a backup or up close deer killer. It tears me up to leave a wounded deer in the woods. I wouldn't want to take the chance.

a carbine conversion will give more power and accuracy, so maybe then.
http://www.mechtechsys.com/
but I'd still prefer a 10mm or 45
they might make a 45GAP kit if you asked.

TFin04
05-26-2009, 11:50 PM
Not accurate enough past 15-20 yards.

LOL.

Tell that to the 6" gong I ring at 50 yards and the IPSC steel at 100.

40 cal ideal for deer? No. But accuracy isn't the reason.

art
06-04-2009, 09:15 PM
Yes I would, given the proper shot at the proper distance.
I completely flattened a large buck with a 125 grain HP at 20 yards with my .357.

mechredd
06-04-2009, 10:03 PM
Only if it were a survival situation, and a .40 cal Glock was all that I had.

Joel216
06-05-2009, 07:26 AM
Little off topic.
I watched a guy try to shoot a steel target at 200 yards with a 9mm glock off of a bench. The closeest shot was in the dirt about 25 yards infront of the steel target.

On topic
Is it legal to carry a shot gun and say a .357 in the woods for deer hunting?
Or am I going to be in deep **** if the DNR find a .357 slug in a deer as I am putting my shotgun back in the truck.

mechredd
06-05-2009, 09:00 AM
Little off topic.
I watched a guy try to shoot a steel target at 200 yards with a 9mm glock off of a bench. The closeest shot was in the dirt about 25 yards infront of the steel target.

On topic
Is it legal to carry a shot gun and say a .357 in the woods for deer hunting?
Or am I going to be in deep **** if the DNR find a .357 slug in a deer as I am putting my shotgun back in the truck.
Yes it is legal.
Your gun must fire a straight-walled cartridge with a bullet of .357 or larger, and hold no more than 8 (I think) rounds.

I just watched a guy put 80% of the rounds fired from a Ruger SR9 through a 1 foot square target at 104 yards, while standing.

Hawgrider
06-05-2009, 09:09 AM
Yes it is legal.
Your gun must fire a straight-walled cartridge with a bullet of .357 or larger, and hold no more than 8 (I think) rounds.

I just watched a guy put 80% of the rounds fired from a Ruger SR9 through a 1 foot square target at 104 yards, while standing.9 rounds. Here is the wording from the hunting guide on page 11.

􀁺 A conventional (smokeless powder) handgun must be .35 caliber
or larger and loaded with straight-walled cartridges and may be
single- or multiple-shot but cannot exceed a maximum capacity
of nine rounds in the barrel and magazine combined.

Link to it..... http://www.michigan.gov/documents/dnr/DNR_2008_HTG1-12_249749_7.pdf

Sigman
06-05-2009, 07:59 PM
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/siggman/notagain

Glacialhills
10-28-2009, 05:40 PM
I guess I am bad then cause I took an 8 point a few years back at 11 yrds with my cheap military 9mm FEG P9R. 2 shots, first shot in the shoulder he fell and then tried to get back up and second in the neck was it. I guess it is all about confidence and shot placement. With that gun, I would not shoot anything past 15 yards or so but as Clint Eastwood said "a man has got to know his limitations". after 15 yards or so the FEG throws curve balls. Now my buddies sig, that thing is a laser.

myersbuck
10-29-2009, 01:26 AM
No