PDA

View Full Version : Building a hunting blind

savedbydbelle
01-31-2003, 11:32 AM
As soon as the ground thaws, I have plans to build a 8ft x 8ft elevated box-type hunting blind on my property in Somerset. After the posts are set, I will plan a BIG BBQ and everyone will be invited for a "blind-raising" party!:paw:
Today I ventured out to the used Auto Show carpet sale at McKnabb carpet in milford. I was able to purchase enough army green, low pile carpet to cover the floor and 3/4 the way up the walls of the blind for under $40! The cost was only $0.33/sq. foot...and because the piece I chose had a tear/hole in one spot, the woman gave it to me for $0.22 and considered it to be the 144/sq. ft I was wanting (even thought the piece was significantly larger!). Not a bad deal at all!!!
I'll keep you posted when the time comes......good food, fellowship, and just a little work! :wink:

alex-vitek
01-31-2003, 12:02 PM
I do not build my blinds quite as big for financial reasons. A tip is to watch the trash on local curbside pick-up days for unusual items that will come in handy.

I get my blind carpeting this way. Along with folding chairs, the kind that you might find in a church meeting room. Still available in neighborhoods with older homes are wooden framed windows. Hit the curb at the right time and you will get a complete window arrangement for a window that you can open.

Look in the areas of the community which are zoned for light commercial buildings. Some of these places will throw out wood suitable for blind construction. I know of a place that once a month throws out 4 foot by 4 foot sections of plywood and press-board. Finding 2x4s, 2x6, and all the way up to 2x12s is pretty easy once you find out who has them.

Other interesting items for blind construction that I have found include good sized sheets of plexi-glass, pieces of sheet metal, small tables, wooded window shutters on hinges, starway and balcony railings and occasionally boxes of hardware including nails, nuts and bolts, and wood and sheet-metal screws.

Eventually, you will find that you have to pass up more than you can reasonablely use.

Tank
02-03-2003, 02:04 AM
By all means... post for the party. I'm there.

As for the posts... spend your $$ wisely and invest in some VERY nice pressure treated lumber 4"x4" minimum and cement for the footings.. You'll be happier in the long run if you spend the $$ now.

Renegade
02-03-2003, 06:54 PM
Sounds like fun.

Plus just a few short miles away.

shoprat
02-11-2003, 09:50 PM
I have a stand close to the size you mentioned and have one issue you may want to consider. When you are sitting in a stand of this size, the walls actually create a fairly large blindspot in the area near the bottom of the stand. I.E - you can see very well over the field (40yds +) but if a deer walks by nearly beneath the stand you will not see it. In any event, they beat treestands any day of the week in my opinion. Nothing like sitting there under a roof when its raining out :D

alex-vitek
02-12-2003, 09:14 AM
Unless your treestand has a roof, of course. I saw a treestand once that was 8 foot by 10 foot with couch and laz-e-boy style chair and a basic roof to keep everything dry.

savedbydbelle
02-12-2003, 12:15 PM
Unless your treestand has a roof, of course. I saw a treestand once that was 8 foot by 10 foot with couch and laz-e-boy style chair and a basic roof to keep everything dry.

That's EXACTLY what I have in mind!!

CnA
02-12-2003, 04:52 PM
Here is my Dad's hunting blind we built two years ago. It's plenty big at 4'x8' inside, but it is high! This is in Gladwin, MI

http://community.webshots.com/image5/8/28/74/63482874rafJrb_ph.jpg

Another shot looking east;

http://community.webshots.com/image5/8/28/59/63482859OBCVxM_ph.jpg

savedbydbelle
02-12-2003, 06:50 PM
Cna, I can't view the pic's, but I'd love to see them! Try emailing them to me please! Thanks!

CnA
02-12-2003, 09:22 PM
Here is the link to the Webshot's album the pictures are on;

http://community.webshots.com/album/58242978VYlnnP