PDA

View Full Version : Success in the 2003 Spring Turkey Drawing

Autumnlovr
02-14-2003, 09:45 PM
I checked the drawing results today for our turkey lotto application. I'm happy! We got our first choice, 4/28 to 5/4/03. I can hardly wait to go out there & talk to those tasty critters! And invite one home for a home cooked meal! :glutton:

cliffd
02-14-2003, 09:54 PM
Congrats Lauren!

I have not checked personally yet, but my "partner" says we got our second choice guaranteed hunt. This will be our first year hunting the gobblers and hope to be munching on a couple big legs in the spring.

~Cliff

Rob
02-14-2003, 09:59 PM
Just let me know what time Dinner is so I am not late :biggrin:

RSF
02-15-2003, 12:14 AM
well looks like i'am on huh! get your camera face ready!

taurus92
02-15-2003, 08:00 AM
Yep got the 234 All except Public Unit ZZ.
Going to have some fun now!

Rupestris
02-15-2003, 10:59 AM
This year will be my first time out so my son(14) and I went with the 234 too. I figured this way I was guaranteed a hunt, and I'd get more time out to learn. The hard part is going to be listening to success stories for two weeks before I can get out. :?

Rupe

RSF
02-15-2003, 11:40 AM
i will offer my turkey hunting help to any of you out there for scouting and calling since i have a ton of calls, and decoys! not to mention the video camera to tape the hunts! those of you wanting to team up let me know since iam in for the late hunt onprivate property i ahve some free time for the earlier hunts! just send me a pm or email

johnlive
02-16-2003, 10:00 AM
They don't want my money!!! well they did get my app. fee. :evil:

LivoniaDan
02-16-2003, 03:24 PM
:cry: :cry: :cry:
I was unsuccessful too.......
:cry: :cry: :cry:

ike
02-20-2003, 11:50 PM
I was lucky too for the first time! Woo Hoo!

What's next?
Shotgun; what load? 2...4.

How about a call? I heard there's a good mouth call?
(that doesn't seem to be a problem in deer season)

I'll wait to ask about cooking...

Thanks, Ike

ANIMAL
02-21-2003, 12:11 AM
Read your manual. I believe nothing larger than #4 shot and depending on your gun maybe not that. Pattern your gun, know where it shoots and what type of coverage with different brands, length of shell or size of shot. I get better coverage from a 2 3/4 " with #6 than I do with a 3 1/2" with #6. A lot more shot in the larger shell but more holes in the pattern. and the #4 shot shoots about a foot low at 30 yds.
Get a Turkey target and count holes in the neck and head, when your up to about a dozen then your ready to go. also get your best coverage then use those shells and work your way out at 5 yd increments to get your max range. start at about 25 yds to see what type of coverage you get. If your not too far from the thumb you can come up here and I'll give you a hand and a place to shoot.

Choke tubes work, I use a extra full turkey tube with #6 in 2 3/4" and use that to bust clays out past 200 ft.

And you probably thought you were just going to go shoot a Turkey. Watch for Turkey hunting seminars in your area. youll get a lot of tips.

As far as a call, if your new just get a nice slate or/and box call. go ahead and get a mouth call but they take some practice. some type of shock call wouldn't hurt either. owl hoot or something along those lines. Thats what I have, I won it at one of them seminars. never has found me a turkey though. I get my best response from a shock gobble.

And one other thing

PATTERN your gun

Camo everything, Don't move an eyelash and Good luck

one last thing, when that bird lets go with his noises it sounds like the whole woods is coming down. a much bigger rush than even a 10 point stepping out on you.

RSF
02-21-2003, 09:00 AM
ike i use a bout 6 different calls, i start with a double box call, long distance calling), then i move to a slate using alumimum surface, then to a all arcylic one with the mouth call as well usually a triple or quad reed, attached to my gun is a push cal that is volume adjustable for the last 70 yds withthe mouth call again the biggest trouble most have is birds hangging up on them because they call to LOUD! SOFTER IS BETTER, all the calls i use are made here in michigan by away hunting from beaverton michigan awayhunting.com greg is the michigan 6x turkey calling champ for the state and hold the top 7 birds with bow includng the #1 and #2 records he ust did a good articlein michigan outdoors and woods and water ! now as far as guns go i shoot a ported 835 3.5 inch cammoed from the factory with a red sot sight and a hastings ext tube of .625 diam yeap xxxxxxxxxxtra fullllll tube with heavy shot from remington in the 6 size it is deadly to 60yds but i have tested it at this range quite a bit and dont forget the decoys