PDA

View Full Version : Cross draw

Ed Hoffman
02-17-2003, 06:57 PM
:?:
Just out of curiosity, why don't some instructors allow cross-draw or shoulder rig holster in their classes?

enfield
02-17-2003, 07:20 PM
It's a safety issue in classes (and, argueably, outside of class). In class, the instructor and all of us scared students like to have ALL of the muzzles pointed at the ground or down range at all times. Cross-draw and shoulder holsters can point the muzzle in the wrong direction while holstered, and drawing can, if not carefully done, involve sweeping the shooter's weak hand/arm or the adjacent scared student or instructor.

keyjockey
02-17-2003, 07:24 PM
Like enfield said....the margin for error is greater with either practice.

Stay safe. :)

GunnFixr
08-03-2003, 03:38 AM
This practice does, however, leave those who opt to use the cross draw, or a shoulder rig, out in the cold when it comes to training.

I tried the shoulder rig thing, but it just didn't work out. When I'm in a suit, which isn't often, it is just the ticket, but other than that, it just isn't practical for me. That being said, I do like cross draw holsters, especially when I'm driving, which I do an awful lot of.

If you want to have some constructive practice with an "non-range friendly holster" try this....

Set up a camcorder on a tripod in the garage, or anywhere else where it is safe to do this sort of thing, clear your weapon, and practice drawing on the camera. When you're done farting around, watch the tape and look for mistakes. Go back, correct the mistakes, and repeat as required.

I don't advocate doing this infront of a mirror, because you will invariably end up staring at your holster/gun in your reflection, which can create bad habits (like taking your eye off the bad guy when your drawing, before the sights of your weapon are online wih your eye.

I use this method ad IDPA matches. I record myself shooting, and then I go home and pick myself apart. The camera never lies.

taurus92
08-18-2003, 07:18 PM
One problem is the sweeping motion will take you past the target most times. That is just the way the body mechanics work. You are drawing and swing your arm back to the target. If you move your eyes with the gun when your mind says stop you will continue past the target.

Try it with an airsoft trainer and a small target. Try a target to the right and one to the left. If the threat is to the left (for a righty) you have a problem. reaction time will be slow.

2nd problem is a cross draw allows someone to pin your arm to your body way to easily. And statistics show that most of these encounters will be real close range.

I prefer to place my snubbie revolver in my cup holder while driving. I know many police officers who do the same thing. It's right there and handly and just drop it in your pocket when you get out.

Toxie
08-18-2003, 11:00 PM
Because you should try to stick to one holster to ALWAYS use, and a shoulder holster is EXTREMELY limited in usefulness.

bluethunder
08-19-2003, 06:31 PM
Because you should try to stick to one holster to ALWAYS use, and a shoulder holster is EXTREMELY limited in usefulness.

No offence,Sir, but just what "one holster to ALWAYS use" do you recomend? I agree that a shoulder holster is very rarely a good choice,but I also have found that no single holster is the right choice for all occasions.

Toxie
08-19-2003, 10:26 PM
Well, it depends on your gun, but ideally an OWB with thumb break. Most occasions where you couldn't use it, you shouldn't be carrying anyways. (IE, anyplace you would be drinking). I myself have been carrying OWB for four years, and have yet to have a complaint.

Also, note the word TRY in my sentence . That aside, I was simply pointing out that you should try to use the same holster, in the same placement as often as possible. Espically so if you train (as you should) with said holster. A quarter second CAN mean the difference between you having you hand in your back pocket and bleeding on the floor, and the bad guy suffering from sudden lead weight gain.