PDA

View Full Version : What safe do you like and why is it good?

pd77
03-21-2010, 12:16 AM
Tell us all who are in the market for a safe about the safe you own and the reason why you bought it. Post a pic if you have one and give specs. I know I would like to know what my options are. We have plenty of info in another thread about Costco safes. How about some others?

BigIrish
03-22-2010, 08:33 AM
Sorry - I won't post a picture of my safe. I will, however, share my decisions for choosing what I chose.

I chose a Heritage Safe. It's a quality safe that is American-made in Idaho. Its fire rated at 2000 degrees for 95 minutes. I avoided the electronic keypad because electronics can fail, (I've also heard that if you don't change the combination regularly, the keypads will start to show wear on the digits you push, but I don't have direct experience with that) and I don't want to deal with that hassle. The combination lock is a Sargeant and Greenleaf, which is the standard in most safes and will last a lifetime. It takes longer to open a combination dial, but that's a tradeoff you make.

I also avoided the presentation style safes that companies like Browning like to push. They cost more and add nothing to the functionality, and the fancy finsishes are wasted if you're going to put it in a closet or other enclosure and away from public view.

Lastly, if you're going to be putting any amount of guns in it, buy the next size bigger than you think you'll need. Gun safes only hold the number of guns advertised if you remove the extra shelves on the side. Those shelves come in pretty handy if you're storing handguns and smaller valuables, so a lot of guys don't want to remove them.

glansky
03-22-2010, 08:52 AM
I bought a National Security Safe (Liberty's high end) 6 years ago from ON Target in Kalamazoo at their annual sale. They are the scratch and dent dealer in the Midwest for Liberty and the one I bought had a small imperfection in the paint just below the combination dial, which is only noticeable if I were to point it out. This small error dropped the price of the safe by 40%.
I did a lot of research on safes and weighed the cost vs protection from thieves and fire and for the price I really could not beat it. Plus it came with a lifetime guarantee against loss from theft and fire. It obviously is a little more than the other safes talked about in other threads, but considering this is a lifetime purchase, the extra cost was justified.

Weight empty - 1100 lbs
Fire Protection - 1638 degrees for 45 minutes
14 one inch bolts that extend two inches inside the safe all the way around which make it pry resistant.
External hinges - 3 of them - which improve the fire rating of the safe
32 cubic feet, but as was previously stated you have to take out the shelves to reach full capacity for gun storage, I would recommend purchasing a holster system that attaches to the door for hand guns - Cabela's a has a couple of selections online.
Door thickness - Interior of the door which extends inside the safe is two inches with 3/8" plate steel over the top of that on the exterior just inset the walls of the safe, extremely tight to those walls.

Keep in mind that your purchase should be based on a lot of factors, but most importantly above all is the peace of mind that you have when you are not at home that your valuables will be safe. Good luck with your search.

seeker01
03-31-2010, 06:59 AM
Just a few more variables for those in the market for a safe... (these are obvious, but bear explicit mention)

what do you consider your biggest risk?
- break-in / theft :jailed:
- kids / unauthorized people w/ access to the home getting to your items :gaga:

what contingencies have you accounted for?
- better locks on you doors / windows, home security system (for external threats)
- improved education for the kids
- etc.

what is you approach to safeguarding ammo?
- you keep all with the guns... you may have "single point of failure" system
- separate, but in same room... better, not ideal
- separate rooms 'unmarked' storage, different key/lock mechanism... much better

what's your budget?
- can you afford a multi-thousand dollar solution? (you rock!) :hearthro:
- can only afford an entry level device? (up you insurance in case of fire)
- can't afford squat? (at least you get the free cable locks from your local PD) :cop:

...just to name a few :thumbup:

bsf
03-31-2010, 11:22 AM
If you are going to take the time to do more than a cursory investigation of home firearms storage, I think you will find there is not a one model/brand fits all solution. The ideal solution for you, as just alluded by seeker01, may involve investment in multiple security components, as opposed to just spending the entire budget on a safe (RSC). I am not necessarily indicating you need to spend a bunch of money as much as I think you may be able to spend more efficiently by utilizing multiple layers of security that involve both concealment and a little “operational security”.

SpaceOddity
03-31-2010, 11:59 AM
Also got a Liberty safe from On Target. I don't notice any imperfections, but got it for about 40% off in the annual sale.

Safe also weighs around 1000lbs. Hopefully stocked up with guns + ammo it should prove very difficult to move. Feels really sturdy and I think it fits my needs.

I also kept in the side storage and filled it up with ammo and accessories. This should help weigh down the safe. They needed a $4,000 cart and 4 guys to haul it in here. The cart was rated to a max of 1500lbs. I'm hoping once the guns + ammo are loaded in any thief would break their cart if they tried to move it.

For added security, you should get an alarm system. It's only like $20/month and would hopefully only give the badguys 10-15 minutes to loot your house if you were away on vacation. They'd probably be able to bust in the safe if given a few days to work at it.

I'm guessing an experienced thief could probably defeat the safe and alarm system, but at least it'll stop the lower-end of the criminal intelligence spectrum.

seeker01
03-31-2010, 08:05 PM
some of you have mentioned the weight of the safe... good point!
for those of us on a budget, consider this as an alternative...
Most safes come with pre-drilled holes and 3-4 in bolts to secure to the floor
(yes, i know it takes work to get the drill out w/ a concrete bit, etc.)
...catering to the over-achiever you guys probably are...
1 - get longer bolts
2 - make a 'bigger' hole and use a little quick set / hydraulic cement to REALLY get it to stick in there (if/when you need to move this will be fun to remove)

personally, i take the perspective that these devices work well as a deterrent, cause frustration to a would-be intruder, and buy you a bit of time. Unfortunately, i don't feel they would flat out prevent a determined individual. Consider that you may be going on vacation where your home is unattended leaving someone significant amount of time to work-tru your thick armor

ps: spaceoddity has really good points about the ROI of using a std alarm SERVICE, reducing the time window for intruders while you are away, and deterring the low-brow or opportunistic criminal

mossyoak1
04-10-2010, 08:22 AM
I just purchased a Fort Knox Guardian safe with re-enforced fire liner. I look at it like this, if you are going to spend the money on a really nice gun, why cheapen out on the "home" for it? Why put a $30 scope on a $2000 gun, is my theory.
I have done the research for a couple of months before I bought the fort Knox. I have looked at Liberty, and AM Sec, and Gardall, and I always came back to Fort Knox. From everyone that I called and looked up on the internet (not saying everything is true on the internet), fort Knox uses 100% American made steel versus Chinese. When you look up the difference the chinese steel is weaker in comparison. When they weld the corners they grind off the outside of the weld weakening the bond. Fort Knox welds the inside and the outside of the corners for a double penetration, then file the weld. I have 10ga steel liner on the outside with 10ga steel liner on the inside. A 2-hour fire protection in 2000 degree heat. Now I am going to put more than just guns in the safe, but I wanted to make sure EVERYTHING was going to be ok if something happened.

I spent a good chuck of money on the Fort Knox, but I was looking at long term not short. And always, ALWAYS by a bigger safe than what you actually need.

hope that helps.

sithanas
04-14-2010, 11:00 AM
some of you have mentioned the weight of the safe... good point!
for those of us on a budget, consider this as an alternative...
Most safes come with pre-drilled holes and 3-4 in bolts to secure to the floor
(yes, i know it takes work to get the drill out w/ a concrete bit, etc.)
...catering to the over-achiever you guys probably are...
1 - get longer bolts
2 - make a 'bigger' hole and use a little quick set / hydraulic cement to REALLY get it to stick in there (if/when you need to move this will be fun to remove)

personally, i take the perspective that these devices work well as a deterrent, cause frustration to a would-be intruder, and buy you a bit of time. Unfortunately, i don't feel they would flat out prevent a determined individual. Consider that you may be going on vacation where your home is unattended leaving someone significant amount of time to work-tru your thick armor

ps: spaceoddity has really good points about the ROI of using a std alarm SERVICE, reducing the time window for intruders while you are away, and deterring the low-brow or opportunistic criminal

Just sell the safe with the house - easier than removing that crap. Definitely makes it a challenge to knock over and pry on though.

Boatboy
04-18-2010, 04:57 PM
American securitys Very well made and good customer serv

XDM 40 cal
04-25-2010, 10:10 AM
OK for my setup i did what was research,ie internet ,gun stores, etc...

I was at wally's and looked at there home safe's and the have..
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sentry-Fire-and-Water-Resistant-1.2-Cubic-Foot-Combo-Safe/3922137?wmlspartner=GPA&sourceid=44444444440230602008

It was on sale or i pick it cheaper than the price list in that link...
98$ at the store..
Item Description

Keep documents, heirlooms, jewelry, CDs, DVDs or computer hardware protected with the Sentry Fire-and Water-Resistant 1.2 Cubic Foot Combo Safe. It features classified 1-hour fire protection, a combination lock and four live-locking bolts for lock-solid protection. It can also be bolted to the floor for added security. Includes a multi-position shelf.

Sentry Fire-and Water-Resistant 1.2 Cubic Foot Combo Safe:
<LI sb_id="ms__id1367">Exterior dimensions: 17-27/32"H x 16-11/32"W x 19-5/16"D <LI sb_id="ms__id1368">Interior dimensions: 13-3/4"H x 12-9/16"W x 11-7/8"D <LI sb_id="ms__id1369">Weight: 99 lbs
1.2 cubic foot capacity
It may not be fort knocks, but it better thatn having nothing at all..:usa:

billbrasky
04-29-2010, 07:33 PM
heres a glimpse inside the mind of the average person.

If you buy a cheap safe, put one $200 gun and some ammo, and a sling and cleaning kit in it, and keep it in the open, anyone that doesnt know you, will assume this is ALL the guns you have. Buy a $15o stack-on brand safe at lowes, or dunhams, put a shotgun or a 22 in it, under $300 total. Let it be a sacrificial lamb.

Put another safe in a false wall, and your good to go. Put all your hand guns, and $1,000 plus rifles and scopes in this safe.

If they cant find it, you can have a modest to so so safe.

A $3,500 safe i can cut open with a torch, or grind off the hinges, or use a 6 ft pry bar.

What ever you do, make sure you HIDE THE SAFE, a $3,000 safe in the basement is just a giant red flag that there is sweet guns inside.

dpgperftest
04-29-2010, 08:09 PM
heres a glimpse inside the mind of the average person.

If you buy a cheap safe, put one $200 gun and some ammo, and a sling and cleaning kit in it, and keep it in the open, anyone that doesnt know you, will assume this is ALL the guns you have. Buy a $15o stack-on brand safe at lowes, or dunhams, put a shotgun or a 22 in it, under $300 total. Let it be a sacrificial lamb.

Put another safe in a false wall, and your good to go. Put all your hand guns, and $1,000 plus rifles and scopes in this safe.

If they cant find it, you can have a modest to so so safe.

A $3,500 safe i can cut open with a torch, or grind off the hinges, or use a 6 ft pry bar.

What ever you do, make sure you HIDE THE SAFE, a $3,000 safe in the basement is just a giant red flag that there is sweet guns inside.
ok but thay are not going to do all that in a house thay just broke into thay need to carry it away if that cant get 1500lbs+. up the stares and out the door with no one seeing them thay can have it !!!

A $20k safe i can cut open with a torch, or grind off the hinges, or use a 6 ft pry bar.

dpgperftest
04-29-2010, 08:13 PM
in basement with alot of weight or bolted down to the floor good to go

DodgeBoy
04-29-2010, 09:59 PM
I have a bighorn from costco. Good price, nice size, good fire rating and it weighs 830 lbs. I will build a vault eventually but until then, this will be doing the job.

sbowhuntr
04-30-2010, 06:37 PM
Anything is better than nothing, it will at least keep the average Joe deterred..
I prefer the Browning sterling 24 gun fire safe, 1200 degrees for 45 minutes, holds all my precious guns and important documents and so on.. There is no way any one will get it out the door, 1200 pounds and if they try thell prolly be dead underneath it when it tips over on them.. Go ahead , bring on the torches, you'll never get it open by blowing the hinges either, thanks to 20-1.5" diameter dead bolts all the way around the door, no skimpin here.. And also bring on the BIGGEST pry bar ya got, I will film ya bustin your balls tryin to pry it open and all for nothing.. Then I'll even call 911 for ya, naa, better just call the morgue....:pistols:

mossyoak1
05-02-2010, 06:20 PM
:yeahthat: