PDA

View Full Version : Any suggestions or material for teaching children?

dfrak
03-21-2010, 08:15 AM
Do any members have any suggestions regarding introducing children to firearms?

Any recommendations regarding material that could aid an adult in showing children proper safety rules?

How about material that the children themselves could read or view?

I'd also like to hear ideas about teaching children range safety rules.

I know that the basic safety rules posted in this forum are a great place to start, but I would like to hear from people about what works (and perhaps what doesn't work), including their personal experiences working with children.

By the way, I'd like to say thanks to MGO for opening this new forum.

Thanks,
Dan

Donzie
03-21-2010, 08:27 AM
how old are you kids?
if you PM me your address I have a video I will send you, but you have to promise to pass it on.

7.62 Nato
03-21-2010, 04:24 PM
Have you checked into the NRAs Eddie Eagle info?

Buzzcat
03-21-2010, 04:56 PM
Nothing beats hands-on teaching.

Books and videos can't come close to conveying the seriousness (and fun) of gun handling and responsibilty compared to a father/son/daugther one-on-one session.

Ask me about the time when I was nine years old and my Dad let me shoot a 12 gauge. :shock:

At that moment, I learned a respect of guns that has lasted my lifetime (after I managed to pull myself off the ground and my Dad and Uncles stopped laughing and debating how far back I flew... :lol:).

Not saying you should approach the issue the same as my Dad, but books and videos don't convey the "real life" experience. Kids today are used to blowing away creatures and people with their videogames... they need to understand that firearms are more than cheat-codes and pushing the reset button.

_DK_
03-22-2010, 07:08 AM
When I asked in another thread (before this topic was added), I was PM'd this page. (http://www.nssf.org/requestForms/safetyDVD.cfm)

I just got the DVD the other day, but I have not watched it yet

My daughter shot for the 1st time Friday at Advanced, She shot a 22 pistol, a 10/22 and an AR.
I had to talk her out of my 12 g, as I only have a rifled slug barrel and only had 5 rounds for it, LOL
http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs482.ash1/26375_1386651351782_1397003819_31084020_8278903_n. jpg

ro2
03-22-2010, 11:15 AM
i may have an un used hunter safety book if you would like, the section about firearms safety is a pretty good base to build on. pm me if ur interested. my father taught my brothers and I by introducing us to guns showing us his letting us handle them when we asked under his direct supervision. But most importantly insisting on safety at all times. If children see that safety is practiced all the time by the people around them then they will follow.

dfrak
03-23-2010, 06:41 PM
how old are you kids?
if you PM me your address I have a video I will send you, but you have to promise to pass it on.
Hello, Donzie.
Thanks for the generous offer. I'll send you a PM shortly.

My kids are grown-ups now and have been safely handling guns from a very young age.
Now it's my responsibility to make sure my grandkids learn as well.

Thanks again.
Dan

dfrak
03-23-2010, 06:45 PM
Have you checked into the NRAs Eddie Eagle info?
Hello, 7.62 Nato.
Yes, the oldest grandkid has gone through the Eddie Eagle material, but the stuff I had focused on the aspect of what to do when you come across a gun by accident.
The other two grandkids will also go over that material when they are a little older.
Beyond the Eddie Eagle material, I am looking for something about safe gun handling at the range that is presented in a way that a younster can easily absorb.

Is there Eddie Eagle material available that covers those topics?

Dan

dfrak
03-23-2010, 06:50 PM
When I asked in another thread (before this topic was added), I was PM'd this page. (http://www.nssf.org/requestForms/safetyDVD.cfm)

My daughter shot for the 1st time Friday at Advanced, She shot a 22 pistol, a 10/22 and an AR.
I had to talk her out of my 12 g, as I only have a rifled slug barrel and only had 5 rounds for it, LOL

Thanks for the link, _DK_.
I'll definitely follow up on it.

Dan

dfrak
03-23-2010, 07:03 PM
Nothing beats hands-on teaching.

Books and videos can't come close to conveying the seriousness (and fun) of gun handling and responsibilty compared to a father/son/daugther one-on-one session. ...

Hello, Buzzcat.

I must say that I used a similar approach when my kids, nieces and nephews were young.

We have a place in lovely Beaverton with a safe backstop set up. After showing the kids safety, discussing various range rules with them and letting them become familair with the empty .22 rifles, they would have to witness two exhibitions before they could shoot. First, I would shoot a one gallon milk jug filled with water with a .357 magnum. Next I would shoot either a pop can or plastic pop bottle, also filled with water, with a .22 hollow point. Both would destroy the containers and I wanted to make sure they understood that every guns, even a .22, must be handled safely. The point, as you said, is that shooting can be fun, but can also cause tremedous damage.

I believe my point was made when, many years later, my own son used the same techniques and nearly the same words when we introduced some of his non-shooting friends to target shooting.

So, I agree with your philosophy, and I am also looking for something that can enhance their learning and is thorough, just in case this old grandpa forgets something :).

Thanks,
Dan

dfrak
03-23-2010, 07:11 PM
i may have an un used hunter safety book if you would like, the section about firearms safety is a pretty good base to build on. pm me if ur interested. my father taught my brothers and I by introducing us to guns showing us his letting us handle them when we asked under his direct supervision. But most importantly insisting on safety at all times. If children see that safety is practiced all the time by the people around them then they will follow.

Thanks for the offer of the book, r02. It turns out that I have one or two laying around, but never thought of using it. I'll dig them up and I am sure there is some useful material there.

You also made a very good point by pointing out that children will learn from watching how we adults behave. I do my best, but it's a great reminder!

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Dan

7.62 Nato
03-23-2010, 09:26 PM
Hello, 7.62 Nato.
Yes, the oldest grandkid has gone through the Eddie Eagle material, but the stuff I had focused on the aspect of what to do when you come across a gun by accident.
The other two grandkids will also go over that material when they are a little older.
Beyond the Eddie Eagle material, I am looking for something about safe gun handling at the range that is presented in a way that a younster can easily absorb.

Is there Eddie Eagle material available that covers those topics?

Dan
Dan,
Shamefully, I'm not that familiar with it. It's been a long while since I looked at it. I do remember agreeing with the way things were presented. I see you have gotten lots of good advice and offers to get you started. Let me know if I can be of any help.

Let's get together for that lunch and catch up.

seeker01
04-19-2010, 09:53 AM

thanks for the link... ordered today!
:-D

reggie64
04-20-2010, 08:35 AM
having taught several non shooters to shoot safely while having fun has become somewhat a science for me

- i start by over emphasizing my safety rules (treat each gun as if its loaded, barrels down range, action open when not shooting, etc)
- show the new shooter the different components of the fire arm
- show them how to operate the firearm (unloaded of course)
- let them manipulate the firearm (unloaded)
- then i demonstrate how to load the firearm
- then i let them shoot under supervision and if there are any problems or malfunctions they MUST safety the weapon, remove the mag and get my attention.

some ranges also have introductory courses Silver Bullet in Grand Rapids have quite a few intro courses as well as a hunter safety class where students get to shoot a variety of different guns as a part of the class.

ArizonaG30
04-23-2010, 06:32 PM
I was at the Arizona Sportsman Expo, sponsored by the Az. Game and Fish, here in Phoenix last month and GLOCK has an excellent "The Basic Rules of FIREARMS SAFETY" were handing out. I have one and I'd be more than happy to send it to you and it has GLOCKS address in GA. and I'm sure you could get more from them for the kid.
If you would like it send me your address to LWilson145@aol.com