PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical scenario and gun selection

Big_Jim
02-26-2003, 09:32 PM
Hypothetical scenario and gun selection
Ok, heres something I've been thinking about. I sometimes question the guns that people choose to carry. So, here's a scenario and the requirements.

You're in your local party store/ quick save and two bad guys come in to do great harm. You have found good cover and have to save the world and you own hide. You have to choose your carry gun wisely because:

1.You cannot have any reloads.(no extra mags, only whats in the gun)

2.You have to connect two shots minimum at each bad guy.(the adreneline is flowing, you might miss) How many rounds do you need or want to have.

3.Your gun must be 9mm or larger but no larger than 10mm(this included 9mm,40,45,10mm,357sig, 38spl, 357 mag, 44spl as viable combat calibers.

4.Your gun MUST be able to empty the entire contents of its magazine without failure.

5. Your gun of choice must be able to carry concealed all day, discretly.(nothing too big or nothing too small)

What brings this about is the idea that some people feel well armed with a 5-shot revolver or a 6/7 shot auto. Would this do the job or should you have more.

So, what gun do you carry all day long that can save you hide should a worse case scenario unfold around you? I know we like Glocks but anybody can play.

My first choice is my G22 in a Fist IWB w/ 16-Rem 155 HP's

Tell us what you you would use.

RSF
02-26-2003, 09:51 PM
sig 228/229 9mm stoked with rcbd ammo

Freetime
02-26-2003, 10:19 PM
Glock 23C .40 S&W with 13 rd magazine loaded with 165 gr Hydra-Shoks.

45 acp
02-26-2003, 11:37 PM
What I carry is a Taurus PT 945 .45acp with 8 in the mag and 1 in the pipe.
I have heard all the horror stories about Taurus but I must have got the one good one that Taurus ever made I have over 3000 rounds thorugh it with out any problems at all.
What would I like to carry? a Para Ordance LDA Para Carry it is on the wish list.

goldwing2000
02-27-2003, 08:38 AM
G26 with 9+1 (to preserve the mag spring) plus a NAA Mini .22 mag.

ANIMAL
02-27-2003, 09:53 AM
Kimber .45 8rd mag one in pipe. 230gr hydra shock

Ktulu
02-27-2003, 10:01 AM
Depending on the weather and my mood I carry either a Glock 19 9mm, a S&W 342 PD in .38 special, or a 1911 full size .45. Any of these are preferable to submitting to the mercy of my attacker but I would prefer to have the 1911 in hand under such circumstances. It would also be my choice if I could have any handgun.

Ultimately I think that your scenario has much more to do with mindset then weapon choice. A cool hand may be able to stop the threat with his/her first two shots while all the ammunition in the world couldn't save someone who panics.

RSF
02-27-2003, 10:39 AM
goldwing ,you wont were the spring out ! by fully loading it ! i have kept a magazine loaded to fullcapacity for 6 months on end before i rotate out the ammo in them ! never an issue! it isnt like your going to keep it loaded for 5 years straight! so i wouldnt worry about it besides springs are 5 bucks a kit for magazine springs that 1 extra round might be the life saver

enfield
02-27-2003, 12:50 PM
10 rounds of .40 Winchester Supreme in a Smith, and 7 rounds of .380 FMJ in an NAA Guardian.

Renegade
02-27-2003, 05:30 PM
I carry a Glock 36 with 7rds of 230gr Speer Gold Dots in a Mitch Rosen ARG iwb holster or I may use my ankle gun which is a G27 with 10rds of 155gr. Speer Gold Dots.

When I get a IWB holster for my G22 I will most likely carry it as my primary. Because the mags for it will fit my G27

goldwing2000
02-27-2003, 09:27 PM
goldwing ,you wont were the spring out ! by fully loading it ! i have kept a magazine loaded to fullcapacity for 6 months on end before i rotate out the ammo in them ! never an issue! it isnt like your going to keep it loaded for 5 years straight! so i wouldnt worry about it besides springs are 5 bucks a kit for magazine springs that 1 extra round might be the life saver

Sorry, Steve. Old Marine habits die hard. I just can't bring myself to load any mag to full capacity. *shrug* Sorry. :roll:

RSF
02-27-2003, 10:44 PM
lol i understand

GaryM51
02-27-2003, 11:47 PM
My Colt Commander in a Alessi/Burns GWH IWB holster. 1 chambered and 8 in the mag.

Gary

J 92 Brigadier
03-02-2003, 02:13 PM
Glock G30 with 9 in the magazine and one in the chamber, and of course a second 9 rd mag in the left (weak side) front pocket, just in case.

M1911A1
03-02-2003, 02:56 PM
I don't understand the restriction about spare mags.
I would carry two spares for just about anything.

Big_Jim
03-02-2003, 03:25 PM
I have caught a lot of flak about the "no extra mag" thing. The reason is that I am interested in who has confidence in the gun they have in their hand. And to be honest, it is mostly from people that carry 1911's. I personally think that the 8 round capacity is adequate (the minimum)in THIS scenario. But I get the feeling that deep down some people think that it is not enough, hence the insistance on carrying extra ammo.

We all like our carry gun, thats why we carry it, but are we truly confident with its ability to perform as we expect. In order to stop what is threatening you, you may not have time or opportunity to reload. You may be limited to what your gun will hold.

So, the reason for no reload is that you have to rely on only your gun, no extras.

I, (like most others) have carried many different guns fron 5-shot 38's, 7-shot 45's, 11-round auto's and 16-round autos. Weather permitting I prefer my 16-round Glock 22, or 11 rounds of 10mm but when it hits 90 degrees I may be limited to a 5-shot revolver or small 6/7 shot auto. Even if I have extra ammo in my pocket, it may not be possible to use it.

M1911A1
03-02-2003, 04:41 PM
Well, if you don't have confidence in your carry gun then why carry it.
If I were to carry a "Wonder-Nine" with fifteen round capacity mags, I would still want two spare mags on me. Those would be a bit heavy to carry but it's good to have a spare so that you can quickly clear a jam, if need be. If one spare is good, a backup spare is better.
I admit that I am no expert on carry or defensive use tactics. Historically speaking I have a passable smattering of knowledge. It always seemed that USGI stuff allowed for two spare mags. Granted a SHTF scenario should be nowhere near combat, still we want our soldiers to survive and the enemy's to cease being a threat. That leads me to believe that the two spare mag theory is a sound one.

Big_Jim
03-02-2003, 05:32 PM
I agree with the benefit of carrying extra mags. Yes I do know a few folks that carry a gun that would consider less than reliable. I don't think we need to debate the merits of extra ammo. The question here is if you couldn't use your extra mags, is your gun alone up to the task?

J 92 Brigadier
03-02-2003, 06:40 PM
I carry an extra magazine, not because of lack of confidence in the gun, but for the same reason I like to maintain a full tank of gas. It's not an inconvenience and I believe it makes sense to be "well prepared", rather than just prepared. Can you imagine getting pinned down by a couple of BG's and running out of ammo? What if you happen to run into some "nut" or terrorist using a gun and you are in a position to do something about it. You can't be very "vigilant" if you run out of ammo. Given the times we're experiencing, you may even consider this level of preparedness the patriotic thing to do.

Toxie
03-04-2003, 03:17 AM
Glock 27, with 9 Speer 165Gr Gold-dots. I CAN hit at acceptable ranges- and 9 will just have to be enough.

How the hell do you conceal a 1911 AND an extra mag in the SUMMER?
I could never understand. I carry the same gun off duty all the time, so I wont get confused :p. Then again, im simple, so I need that :)

ANIMAL
03-04-2003, 08:00 AM
How the hell do you conceal a 1911 AND an extra mag in the SUMMER?

Two extra mags

I'm not what you would call a little fellow so its not too difficult.
[/code]

M1911A1
03-04-2003, 10:00 AM
Same with me 1911 two mags, not a really tiny guy. Plus I NEVER wear short pants, long pants only and always have an undershirt on.

Toxie
03-07-2003, 03:37 PM
Ugh, I would be dripping from all that clothing!
I'm in the carry and be comfortable crowd!

Quaamik
03-19-2003, 11:08 PM
Depends, is it summer or winter?

Winter: Para P-14, 13 rounds in the mag + 1 in the pipe. You eliminated my first ammo choice (.450 SMC) so I'd probably go with 230 gr Hydroshoks (.45 auto) as they are very accurate out of my gun.

Summer: Kimber Compact Aluminum, 7 rounds in the mag + 1 in the pipe, Triton 230 gr +P HiVel or Winchester 230 gr HP (.45 auto each). The winchester loads are a little more accurate , but not really enough to matter in a serious social situation. And the +Ps give a nice edge out of the shorter barrel.

As to concealing a 1911 and a spare mag in the summer, just wear a baggy pullover shirt 1 - 2 sizes big and carry IWB. You look sloppy, but the gun almost disappears.

HK USP
03-23-2003, 12:18 AM
How many assialants? 1 shot is enough if you are good, and practiced faithfully. Reflexes must be taught. but as to what HK USP .45 night sites with 10+1 Hydra Shocks. The gun is capable of 2" groups at 50' are you?