PDA

View Full Version : Always Check The Chamber! *GRAPHIC PICS*

Will-IB-Ready
03-21-2010, 02:22 PM
This did not happen to me! I'm sharing it to benefit others.

I decided to post this here to contribute to the firearms safety thing. If the mods decide it belongs somewhere else I won't be offended. I almost put it in the dump because of the pics, but I think everyone should read the story and the pics aren't too gruesome. We've all seen worse.
Anyway, here is a story that was posted on another board...

ALWAYS... clear your Glock...

The below is from a supervising U. S. Marshal.

Well....I've always heard it's not a matter of "if, but "when".

My number came up and I paid a hefty price.

Last Friday I was preparing to go shooting the next AM with a buddy of mine.

I had just put a new a-grip on my Glock, and was going to clean it after my wife and I finished our movie. Crash is an awsome movie BTW.

I put the weapon back together and inserted the mag. I did not pipe a round because I knew I was going to strip it later. I went upstairs and put the weapon in the tool box in the garage.

About and hour later (mid-night or so), I returned to the garage to finish cleaning and getting gear together for the morning. I picked up the Glock, dropped the mag and prepared to remove the slide. I done this literally thousands of times in the last fifteen years, but this times things were a little different. I grabbed the slide getting ready to push the take own pins and pulled the trigger......BANG!!!!!

Apparently I DID pipe a round an hour prior. My shooting bud attributes it to force of habit, but why the hell didn't I check the chamber before pulling the trigger? Should that be force of habit too?

Not only did I set off a .45 in my garage, but it passed right through my left hand......Yep....I *******ing shot myself point blank. I'm still having a hard time getting my head around what I did. I was SO angry at myself.

I have always been uber safe with any firearm, but one lack of procedure changed everything. I'm really taking this hard, and all the "it could have been worse", "accidents happen", and "thank god you didn't lose your hand statements really don't help. I guess I'm getting over it, but it still seems very surreal to me.

Here are details....I know you all are morbidly curious, and I don't mind telling...it's kinda like therapy for me. I DID NOT hear the shot (nor did my ears ring afterwards), and it felt sorta like catching a fastball right in the palm of your glove. I have a very clear image, and suspect I always will, of the hole in my hand...perfect .45 diameter not bleeding....yet. I took a few seconds, and then the arterial arch in my palm cut loose.

Blood like you wouldn't believe. I think the fact that I was a Paramedic in a former life helped me out here. I walked into the laundry room and grabbed a towel to wrap it up, call up the stairs for my wife to come down. I remember thinking "if I go get her, I'll mess up the carpet on the stairs". No lie.

She came down half asleep and kind of grumpy, and I told her "I just put a bullet in my hand". Said she was calling 911 and according to her I responded "That would be a good idea.." My wife is neo-natal RN, and can remain cool as a cucumber. This helped me out too I think.

I went back into the garage, put my blasted hand on the floor kneeling on the towel and proceeded to open my ever present jump-bag with the other.

I opened a US issue trauma dressing with my teeth, and proceeded to wrap my hand. Those dressing are the schiz nit by the way. My wife later told me it was very "Die-Haredesque"......I do remember cussing at myself the entire time...I have never been that angry before.....

Four cops, the shift sup., a pumper truck and an ambulance later I was off to the ER. I didn't feel any pain until I got in the ambulance. The endorphins shut down and it hurt like nothing you can imagine. No tickets from the cops, but did have to ask which weapon I did it with. My garage looks like an arsenal pre-range trip.

The bullet (a Black Talon no less..) shattered my ring finger meta-tarsal, and 'removed' two others. It destroyed the flexor tendon of my ring finger, almost separated my pinky tendon, and exited the right side of my wrist just above my watch band. There was a definite exit hole, but the blast force blew the side of my palm WIDE open about three inches in length. I didn't even see the exit wound until I removed my watch for the FD. Anyway, nine hours of surgery, three screws, a tendon graft from my forearm and about two-hundred sutures later I was put back together. My surgeon said if anyone has to get shot in the hand, this was how to do it. No nerve damage....whew. Physical therapy twice a week for God knows how
long, and the surgeon expects at least 80% function back.

I've included a pic of the round. Snap-On tool boxes are quite literally bullet proof. The jacket separated from the slug when it hit the box, that's why the slug is flat on one side. If the mods permit, I'll post pics of my hand too.....it's pretty burly, and will drive the point home.

Thanks for listening. My wife thinks I'm crazy to post this, but it really does help me feel better. Remember....check the chamber twice, then check it again."
If you want to see the pictures, you can click the links:

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r214/bigdogtx/glock3.jpg

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r214/bigdogtx/glock.jpg

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r214/bigdogtx/glock2.jpg

Joeywhat
03-21-2010, 02:27 PM
Violated a couple rules there...and I don't buy the 'it's only a matter of time' argument.

Not only did he fail to properly clear the gun, but he had his hand in front of the muzzle while pulling the trigger. Something you DON'T have to do to take down a glock.

Gotta stay vigilante with gun safety. The second you stop focusing and drop your guard will be the second you have a bullet going through yourself.

ETA - having medical supplies handy probably didn't hurt, either. Never know how long the ambulance will take to get to you, especially if your on a secluded range or out in the boonies. A few medical supplies and some basic training in their use could save your life, or even a limb or two after being shot.

Will-IB-Ready
03-21-2010, 02:29 PM
Yeah, he pretty much broke all 4 rules on that one...

DLL9MM
03-21-2010, 02:41 PM
WOW. :-o

Buzzcat
03-21-2010, 02:49 PM
About and hour later (mid-night or so), I returned to the garage to finish cleaning and getting gear together for the morning.

As they say, nothing good happens after midnight.

JimSig
03-21-2010, 03:52 PM
Ouch.. That hurts.

one_fast_ls1
03-21-2010, 07:06 PM
Man- that sucks. I'm not going to say "it happens" or "it's not a matter of if, but when". In fact, I'm going to say he's an idiot- and I mean that in the nicest way possible. But hey- I WILL say "at least it wasn't your shooting hand!" :)

Good luck on the recovery

sullyxlh
03-21-2010, 07:25 PM
Any gun is ALWAYS loaded
NEVER treat them as their not.

pgaplayerless
03-21-2010, 07:36 PM
I have yet to pull a trigger, gun unloaded no less, with my other hand over the muzzle.....

That US Marshall should be assigned to desk duty and have his gun taken away until he goes thru all the firearms training again,

burgundyyears
03-21-2010, 07:48 PM
Proof that sometimes the "authorities" have no more business having a gun than all the little people.

What rule wasn't violated here? Pointed in unsafe direction, finger in trigger guard when not shooting, treating a gun as if it was unloaded, not knowing your gun's status, live ammunition in a cleaning area, (maybe) having a gun loaded when you were not using it, etc.

If your takedown method involves having your hand over the muzzle, you need to learn a different method! That is, by definition, having your gun pointed in an unsafe direction.

RayMich
03-21-2010, 08:04 PM
Yes, I saw that post several months ago.

It shows why we must ALWAYS follow proper procedure whenever handling any gun and never skip any steps to make sure the gun is unloaded and safe before working on it.

It took a lot of guts for him to post this on a public forum for everyone's benefit.

I DO feel bad for the guy. I hope he's been able to fully recovered by now.

Just because a person is a government LEO doesn't mean they can't be stupid.

This brings to mind the ATF agent who shot himself while he was telling the students how he was the only one who knew how to handle the Glock 40.

Will-IB-Ready
03-21-2010, 08:06 PM
Proof that sometimes the "authorities" have no more business having a gun than all the little people.

What rule wasn't violated here? Pointed in unsafe direction, finger in trigger guard when not shooting, treating a gun as if it was unloaded, not knowing your gun's status, live ammunition in a cleaning area, (maybe) having a gun loaded when you were not using it, etc.

If your takedown method involves having your hand over the muzzle, you need to learn a different method! That is, by definition, having your gun pointed in an unsafe direction.
Yup.

donald150
03-21-2010, 08:12 PM
I almost didn't look at the pics. I was expecting some meat and flesh all over the place not just a BUT LOAD of stitches.

OUCH:crazy:

dirtyharry
03-22-2010, 12:27 PM
:tsk: He should keep that slug on the bench where he works on his guns as a permenant reminder.

miked
03-22-2010, 12:37 PM
:tsk: He should keep that slug on the bench where he works on his guns as a permenant reminder.

I'm guessing the scars on his hand will work pretty well for that as well.

Will-IB-Ready
03-22-2010, 02:48 PM
I'm guessing the scars on his hand will work pretty well for that as well.
I think you're right.

I'd like to keep that slug on MY bench so that I never forget what happened to him.

1-2many
03-22-2010, 07:55 PM
No before pics????:freak:

Made_in_Michigan
03-22-2010, 08:01 PM
I think you're right.

I'd like to keep that slug on MY bench so that I never forget what happened to him.

:yeahthat:

Broke all the rules, yet lucked out and only shot his own hand.

What about his wife? neighbor? grandchildren?

He should wake up every day and thank all that is holy & his lucky stars that he did not kill someone because of his stupidity.

And what is with this BS "not if but when" crap?

Maybe if you are the guy who after midnight decides to have 9 beers then go clean your guns for morning that may apply, but it does NOT apply to the rest of us.

Will-IB-Ready
03-22-2010, 08:11 PM
And what is with this BS "not if but when" crap?

Maybe if you are the guy who after midnight decides to have 9 beers then go clean your guns for morning that may apply, but it does NOT apply to the rest of us.
Yep. I totally agree. That was a cop-out to make himself feel less stupid...

_DK_
03-23-2010, 08:10 AM
Having to pull the trigger to takedown a gun isn't the best idea in the 1st place yet don't most if not all striker fired guns require that?

Tedfs
03-23-2010, 08:40 AM
It only becomes a matter of time when you become complacent.

Period.

cwo4uscgret
03-23-2010, 01:45 PM
it doesn't matter what his profession is; its amazing how quick some people go right for the juggler when a LEO makes a mistake.

He screwed up....bad. I suspect fatigue was the main reason he lost track of his situational awareness; as he said - he finished watching a movie with his wife; put the gun in the garage, watched the movie, and went back to the gun.

Let's use this (I can imagine how embarrassing this is for him - to post it on the internet; as a lesson for all of us to learn from) what he means it to be - a painful reminder of what happens when you screw up.

I have two .380 bullet holes in my bedroom window when my Pocket Colt doubled after I chambered a round. Finger was off the trigger, gun was pointed in a safe direction, and I'm glad the gun didn't empty all 6 rounds in the magazine. It would have been a cute little auto-pistol though! What happened? I sent the gun to a smith to figure out what I did wrong; I had completely broken the gun down for cleaning and lubricating; like a 1911 the 1908 has a three tined spring; one is the sear spring. Amazing what happens when the sear spring is not in the right spot - grip safety works, slide safety works, hammer doesn't drop without the grip safety - all safeties work - until a round is chambered. I had the gun pointed in the right direction - a safe direction. Them little .380s are loud.

Accidents happen; learn from them.

miked
03-23-2010, 01:52 PM
Amazing what happens when the sear spring is not in the right spot - grip safety works, slide safety works, hammer doesn't drop without the grip safety - all safeties work - until a round is chambered.

Still operator error, the spring was incorrectly placed back into the gun. That's exactly why I don't tear my guns down to that level.

IMHO unless something actually breaks (i.e. defective part) in the gun and causes it to go off it's operator error.

Wolvee
03-23-2010, 08:15 PM
Daaaaaaaaumn Gena!:enforcer:

XDM 40 cal
03-28-2010, 01:04 PM
OUCH! Well we see a Failure in gun safety.. also you must have fogoten to never put you finger on the trigger..

Well you have kick your self enough for me to do it too...:salute:

Sorry to see this happen and i hope your doing well...:|

Will-IB-Ready
03-28-2010, 10:46 PM
OUCH! Well we see a Failure in gun safety.. also you must have fogoten to never put you finger on the trigger..

Well you have kick your self enough for me to do it too...:salute:

Sorry to see this happen and i hope your doing well...:|
This happened to some LEO over a year ago, not me.
And you have to put your finger on the trigger of a Glock to take it down...

snapshotdod
03-29-2010, 04:47 AM
heh, I'm so anal about making sure its clear I check it a couple times...then again, because I'm worried somehow a liquid bullet dropped in and formed while I wasn't looking, lol

jmacken37
03-29-2010, 02:45 PM
These stories (and pictures) are always a great reminder. BE SAFE. Anyone who thinks it will never happen to them (most of us I suspect), needs to get off their high horse and just remember to be safe.

Jake

hopeitsfast
03-29-2010, 02:50 PM
Dumbass deserved to get shot.

folpak
03-31-2010, 05:38 PM
ouch!:toss:

slowa_2000
04-06-2010, 09:32 PM
Dang! Not cool....:headinj:

jimmi308
05-11-2010, 03:06 PM
Having to pull the trigger to takedown a gun isn't the best idea in the 1st place yet don't most if not all striker fired guns require that?
you dont have to pull the trigger on the xdm series springfields minus 1 for glock.... ha ha... insert flame here...lol

XDM 40 cal
05-11-2010, 06:07 PM
you dont have to pull the trigger on the xdm series springfields minus 1 for glock.... ha ha... insert flame here...lol

+1 YES SIR......:para:

tote'ngranny
05-11-2010, 07:23 PM
SO? Given the choice of what is more important... a totally reliable gun, or a gun that is *safer* to break down to clean ? Uuuhhh...are we not supossed to check/clear the gun BEFORE you break it down? I think so. Then the issue of having to pull the trigger for the break down is a non-issue IMHO.
And oh.. a friend of mine, who is NOT on this board, a probation officer, is also hearing of issues with the XDs jamming, FTF etc. I will opt for a gun that will do the job EVERY time.

XDM 40 cal
05-11-2010, 07:34 PM
SO? Given the choice of what is more important... a totally reliable gun, or a gun that is *safer* to break down to clean ? Uuuhhh...are we not supposed to check/clear the gun BEFORE you break it down? I think so. Then the issue of having to pull the trigger for the break down is a non-issue IMHO.
And oh.. a friend of mine, who is NOT on this board, a probation officer, is also hearing of issues with the XDs jamming, FTF etc. I will opt for a gun that will do the job EVERY time.

Granny there is a difference in the XDm and XD...( your welcome to shoot my XDm 40 anytime)...:thup:

Who is tell you that there is jamming issue is there issue( using bad load or not cleaned,IDK) 0 ftf 0 FTE XDm and my XD.. 1400 rounds in my XDm and 600 in my XD40Sc..

All that was stated is the XDm to be field-strip with out pulling the trigger like the Glocks and XD models..Agreed that you should all was double check before you do anything with a Firearm..

I wouldnt have bought my XDm if it wasnt a good firearm..

damiscul
05-11-2010, 09:15 PM
i thought that was rule number one in cleaning i mean i really dont feel bad because its their own damn fault that they didnt check, whatever sucks to be you!

Zoolander
05-12-2010, 07:50 PM
SO? Given the choice of what is more important... a totally reliable gun, or a gun that is *safer* to break down to clean ? \

Or buy M&P and have both :thumbup:

cousin15
05-13-2010, 11:48 AM
Let's use this (I can imagine how embarrassing this is for him - to post it on the internet; as a lesson for all of us to learn from) what he means it to be - a painful reminder of what happens when you screw up.

Accidents happen; learn from them.

I think this is the real message, instead of claiming superior and error free abilities like you know it all folks always do...

We are all human (well, most of us), we are not error free. Just because you always check, and check again, and check a third time, and always have it in a safe direction... does not mean at some point your brain will be turned off and you could make a mistake.

Roadie
05-14-2010, 02:24 PM
The culprit here is COMPLACENCY. I engage in another hobby, which is quite a bit more dangerous than cleaning a gun, and virtually every mishap I've ever seen is due to complacency. You think, "I've done this a thousand times, I don't have to think too hard about it, bla bla..." That's when you get bitten on the *****.

You need to focus solely on your task, each step in the process, and treat EVERY time as if it was your first.

Overconfidence and complacency will get you "not if, but when".

That said, it took some stones for the guy to post that experience for the benefit of others, so +1 for the guy on that account.

Boon
05-19-2010, 09:04 AM
Props for posting that story. Rule #1 there!

agentorange
11-19-2010, 08:41 PM
I know this is an older thread but I'm new and am browsing all the topics.
And I hope you had/have a fast recovery . But threads like this really put into perspective what can happen if tour not safe .
It reminds me of what I was told when I was 1st learning to tattoo."don't learn from your mistakes , learn from other peoples mistakes "

Will-IB-Ready
11-19-2010, 10:10 PM
I know this is an older thread but I'm new and am browsing all the topics.
And I hope you had/have a fast recovery . But threads like this really put into perspective what can happen if tour not safe .
It reminds me of what I was told when I was 1st learning to tattoo."don't learn from your mistakes , learn from other peoples mistakes "
You may have missed this as you were glancing through, but this tragedy happened to an LEO who posted his experience online for our benefit. It's been spread on every gun board I know of. It didn't happen to me or anyone on this site.

But the lesson is one we can all benefit from.

kgvall
11-19-2010, 11:05 PM
Yeah, he pretty much broke all 4 rules on that one...
WOW! Not much mercy for the hurt guy here!

agentorange
11-20-2010, 03:05 AM
Oh ok . Anyway hopefully he had a full recovery by now.

Will-IB-Ready
11-20-2010, 07:54 AM
WOW! Not much mercy for the hurt guy here!
Guns don't show mercy. They have no soul and they don't forgive.
Never forget that.

mikeb32
11-20-2010, 07:55 AM
+1000 They sure don't. And as the LEO stated several times "How stupid he felt for not following all the rules that have been drilled into him over the years" and not once did I hear the gun say "I'm truly sorry and I won't do it again"

sarco001
11-23-2010, 06:34 PM
I am glad to hear it from the source, most people would be so embarrassed that they would never post it.
Anyone can become complacent.
I wish these items of information would not become p*ssing contests over what guns is best.
Looking at the pics helps me to remember what not to do.

BWHaas
04-02-2011, 09:33 PM
+1 on the post. Great info and reminder for all of us who can sometimes take it for granted.

jeffegg2
04-02-2011, 10:22 PM
My gun is always loaded, even when it is not.

The only time it is not loaded is when it is all apart on the bench.....

You have to respect your gun, it will never respect you.

Lucky you didn't kill someone.

Brian D
04-26-2011, 08:42 PM
Well, I made the mistake of opening up the pictures wile eating. A big no-no.

I agree with what jeffegg said above. Just because you own the gun, does not mean it will not kill you. No corner cutting here.

Will-IB-Ready
04-26-2011, 09:44 PM
Every time this thread gets dug up, I feel like people miss the part where this happened to a third party in another state. It's made the rounds of gun boards and I just happened to be the one to share it here...

This didn't happen to me although each of us is only ever a couple of broken rules away from a similar accident.

Dabears!
04-27-2011, 02:59 PM
Every time this thread gets dug up, I feel like people miss the part where this happened to a third party in another state. It's made the rounds of gun boards and I just happened to be the one to share it here...

This didn't happen to me although each of us is only ever a couple of broken rules away from a similar accident.
holy **** chris!!!
are you ok? how was the recovery?

jeepinrrt
04-27-2011, 03:14 PM
holy **** chris!!!
are you ok? how was the recovery?

I can't believe you are able to make holsters with all of that hand damage :heybuddy:

Dabears!
04-27-2011, 04:24 PM
I can't believe you are able to make holsters with all of that hand damage :heybuddy:
super chris!!!!

Passthru
05-07-2011, 09:59 PM
OUCH!!!! Lesson learned Im sure.

Jay

pfries
05-10-2011, 07:04 PM
Overconfidence and complacency will get you "not if, but when".

+1

The two things that cause accidents:

1. Ignorance
2. Carelessness

jeffegg2
05-10-2011, 07:07 PM
Flying and Guns, both very unforgiving of stupid.

Follow the safety rules always. The moment you think, oh yea, it is empty so I
don't have to follow those safety rules. That is when it happens.

Merffme
06-21-2011, 06:49 PM

It's been a year and a half, how's your hand?

Will-IB-Ready
06-21-2011, 09:43 PM
It's been a year and a half, how's your hand?
:banghead: :grin:

METL
06-22-2011, 08:30 PM
:banghead: :grin:

OMG DUDE!!!! I can't believe this happened to YOU!!! I hope YOU are alright!!!! That is soooo crazy... thank YOU so much for sharing YOUR story!!!! :shocked:

lol... :D