PDA

View Full Version : M1 Carbine Gunsmith

Freetime
03-13-2003, 10:14 PM
I don't know if this the right spot to post this but I need some info. Anyone know of a gunsmith in SE Mich that can remove a barrel and install another one on a M1 Carbine? Or where you might be able to rent the barrel block and reciever wrench to do the job myself. I really don't want to buy the tools($90-100 for the wrench and $35-45 for the barrel block) for a one time job. I would appreciate any help you can provide. Thanks :D Larry

Brian
03-14-2003, 04:30 AM
Try Williams Gun Sight Co, Inc. 800 530-9028
They're in Davison just off 69, can't remember the exit but give them a call.

Autumnlovr
03-14-2003, 06:52 AM
Try Williams Gun Sight Co, Inc. 800 530-9028
They're in Davison just off 69, can't remember the exit but give them a call.
It's the Irish Road exit (go south & follow the signs). I'm going to be stopping in there soon.

Freetime
03-14-2003, 09:23 AM
Brian and Autumnlover, thanks for the information, I'll give them a call. Just one question where is Davidson located. I live in Wyandotte south of Detroit and I'm not familiar with it. Thanks again Larry

GreggB
03-14-2003, 03:52 PM
Davison is up by Flint. If you take I-75 north to I-69 East then you can find it.I have been meaning to go up to Williams myself and read this thread with interest. I too have an M1 Carbine that needs some work. Please let me know how you make out.

Freetime
03-14-2003, 05:42 PM
GreggB-I called them earlier today and they will do it for me no problem. I asked approx. how long it would take and was told as of now it will take approx. 4 weeks to get to it. BUMMER, but realistically that isn't too bad, the weather ought to be nice for the outdoor range by then. They gave me a price of $100 for labor, this includes removing the old barrel, replacing the new one, checking the headspace and test firing the weapon. Doesn't sound too bad to me but I haven't found anywhere else to check as of now. If I don't find any place closer between now and the day the barrel arrives, I'll be heading up there. I asked about dropping it off and picking it up when done instead of using the mail. I was told to bring something to shoot when I come and I could use their range. Seemed like a nice company to deal with. :D Larry

sprink
03-14-2003, 05:49 PM
I have no personal experience with them, but D&D is in Troy. Number not handy, but I am sure they are in the "book".

Greg

45 acp
03-14-2003, 06:01 PM
GreggB-I called them earlier today and they will do it for me no problem. I asked approx. how long it would take and was told as of now it will take approx. 4 weeks to get to it. BUMMER,
They are good and do good work
Any gunsmith that doesnt have at least a months work piled up waiting for them to get to it usually isnt a very good gunsmith . Most good ones are very busy.

Freetime
03-14-2003, 06:31 PM
45acp, it's good to hear they do good work. I definitely want it done right. Like I said, when the barrel gets here I'll be heading up there. Larry

karcent
03-15-2003, 07:56 AM
Larry,
If you're willing to drive to Davison, I guess ST. Clair wouldn't be out of the question and I know the 'smith I recommend wouldn't take 4 weeks to get the job done.

He's one of the best and I highly recommend him. He's the guy I use for my personal guns.

Email or PM me if you want his phone number. I won't post it on a message board.

Freetime
03-15-2003, 03:56 PM
Kurt, PM sent

BHP
05-14-2003, 09:36 AM
If you don't mind me asking, what are you using for a replacment barrel.

The only reasonable priced replacments I have seen are the DPMS from Midway, but I have not ehard much in terms of the results from anyone who has had one installed. The GI originals seem to be quite pricey.

Thanks

Ed Hoffman
05-14-2003, 08:32 PM
:!: D&D Gunsmith in Troy is where my dad took his M1 to have work done on it. It took 3-4 weeks, and they did an excellent job. I've had work performed on pistols there and will always go back to D&D for my gunsmithing needs. The address and phone number are as follows.

D & D GUNSMITHS LIMITED
363 ELMWOOD DR, TROY, MI 48083
(248) 583-1512

Hope this helps.

Freetime
05-14-2003, 09:32 PM
Since I first posted I've taken 2 M1 Carbines to D&D to have barrels installed and headspace checked and test fired. The first one took only 11 days and the second one took 10 days. They do a great job for a very reasonable price. I'll definitely keep using them in the future. To answer a previous question, I had bought a M1 Carbine (National Postal Meter) for a good price but it had an after market barrel on it and the barrel was in bad shape. I came across a very nice Rockola barrel for a decent price on EBAY so I replaced the barrel on the NPM with it. If you get lucky on EBAY you can find some good barrels etc. But some parts go for unbelievable prices. Larry

BHP
05-15-2003, 12:15 PM
Thanks for the information. I have an import that I was given some thought to having the barrel replaced, but as you mentioned, I could not believe the prices for some parts.

My carbine shoots well, but if I could find a barrel in excellent condition for the right price, I would probably have it replaced.