PDA

View Full Version : Defense of a Stranger

Hillman
03-22-2003, 08:59 PM
I know we're "allowed" to use our firearms to protect the life of another person, but would you if that person was a stranger?

Any number of situations come to mind, but let's say you're walking through the parking lot at the local Home Depot, at night, near closing. A man is waving a knife at a woman with her 2 children.

I can't provide any more details, because if this happened to you, you wouldn't know any more than that, either.

enfield
03-22-2003, 09:20 PM
That's a hard situation. The liability is high in such a situation, and I have a primary obligation to my family. Be that as it may, I don't think I could stand by and see a woman and her kids harmed. I do have to live with myself.

Fred Mager
03-22-2003, 10:55 PM
If you are accosted by a mugger with a knife it's your peception of whether you are in danger of being killed of gravely harmed that's counts in court! What happens if this guy with the knife is the husband of the woman and she is an abused wife who constantly enables him by not pressing charges. Should you take decisive action and shoot him she will be screaming that you are the one at fault. In other words you had better be right if it involves another!

HK USP
03-23-2003, 12:03 AM
I agree you must first listen to the demeanor of the conversation. If it is hostile then a 911 call must be made first, (always carry a cell, all cell phones must access 911 per law activated or not) Talk is next, Depending on your verbalization skills you may be able to defuse a bad situation, Lethal force may only be used in defence of human life. Your perception of a threat with a knife could be a comb, a cell phone, or even a wierd key fob.

PhotoTom
03-23-2003, 02:09 AM
First off, if you decide to get involved and come to the woman's defense, you DON'T have to produce your weapon at first....(just maintain a GOOD reactionary gap between you and the threat).

Many times, the intervention of a third person will defuse the situation...problem over.

If the guy turns his aggression onto you, then you are defending YOUR life....simple.

Renegade
03-23-2003, 09:34 AM
Well said Tom.

To quote a phrase from the movie Tombstone.

When you make yourself part of the situation.

I'm you're Hucklberry.