PDA

View Full Version : I would love to be first here

Rob
04-16-2003, 10:33 PM
Ok, all of you smokepole shooters. Here is a challenge to you. I would like you to convience me to spend the money and buy one.

I have never hunted with a muzzleloader, I have shot one a couple times but that is my extent with this aspect of the sport.

What are the pro's and the con's to muzzleloading?

goldwing2000
04-16-2003, 10:53 PM
Con: Lots of nasty smoke.

Pro: Lots of cool smoke!

:biggrin:

ANIMAL
04-16-2003, 11:57 PM
Rob, go traditional first. Its a learning curve.

Some may get pissed but I don't consider an inline a true muzzle loader. If you like history this is one of our traditions that many have kept alive.

I'll bring mine up on my next trip or if your down this way stop in.

My late father in law used to make them, I have one that is in process myself.

Nothing like putting meat on the table with a .50 cal patched round ball.

And don't let anyone tell you they are not accurate. I can put mine in a 3" circle at 100 yds with 100 gr of fff and a patched round ball. When I had my .58 the largest things we shot at was a clay bird on a board at 50 yds or a 2 liter pop bottle hanging on a string at 100 yds. oh yea, thats free hand too. no rest. 3 shots a minute with a minnie ball 2 with a round.

Whole different set of safety rules too. let someone who knows teach you. I shot competition for 5 yrs and have seen some accidents, nothing major mostly cookoffs (powder burns on hands) when loading. this only happens when loading and firing quickly because of hot embers left in the barrel.

Grab a pole and have a blast.