PDA

View Full Version : Grip Question... help...

TheRealSTOGIE
03-26-2010, 04:39 PM
I've been shooting IDPA and USPSA matches and it seems the faster I run the trigger, my strong hand has a tendency twist off the grip and out of reach of the trigger... I don't have sweaty hands so its not that....

I'm thinking some grip tape will be in order stratigically placed, but I can't seem to find anything locally or online for "Gun Grip Tape" so I am thinking about getting some of that skateboard grip tape..... Hogue grips won't work for me because they make the grip too wide/big for my hand.....

What do you use to keep your grip hand from slipping and where do you put it on your grip? I have an idea where I'm gonna need it, but any suggestions are appreciated!

Troubleshooter
03-26-2010, 08:48 PM
I bought a section of tape big enough to cover a skate board from a local skate board shop for about $5. I pretty much covered the grip on my G17 that I only use for IDPA. Then I put some on my carry guns and adjusted as needed. I think I have enough left over to redo my guns for a lifetime.

Jay870
03-29-2010, 06:29 AM
Before you try a grip-tape product you might want to check out a product called Pro Grip. It is a cream you put on your hands, takes about 10 seconds to dry, and makes an incredible improvement in your grip. Kind of like you put on 600-grit gloves... it is not tacky or sticky at all, but it does leave a faint white residue on your hands.

You can get it at Brownells or a bunch of other places... and better yet it is made by a MI company (no affiliation, just a fan).

Joeywhat
03-29-2010, 06:46 AM
For plastic guns stippling is your friend. You can make it VERY aggressive or just a little bit more then stock. I've done it to most all my plastic guns with excellent results. Do it right and it's even better then grip tape, and more permenent as well.

For metal frames checkering is nice but expensive. Similar to stippling, it can be very aggressive or quite smooth.

Otherwise skate tape is your friend.

Will-IB-Ready
03-29-2010, 07:08 AM
For plastic guns stippling is your friend. You can make it VERY aggressive or just a little bit more then stock. I've done it to most all my plastic guns with excellent results. Do it right and it's even better then grip tape, and more permenent as well.

For metal frames checkering is nice but expensive. Similar to stippling, it can be very aggressive or quite smooth.

Joey's right, stippling is cool, but I don't think that any permanent changes to your gun are legal in IDPA. They allow grip tape though.

Joeywhat
03-29-2010, 07:15 AM
I THINK that stippling is OK but something like a grip reduction is out. Just what I heard, I don't shoot IDPA nor do I have their rulebook in front of me.

wJAKE19
03-29-2010, 08:25 AM
if your running SSP in IDPA stippling will put you in ESP

TheRealSTOGIE
03-29-2010, 10:32 AM

I shoot an SA-XD and that is already in the ESP category.

Before you try a grip-tape product you might want to check out a product called Pro Grip. It is a cream you put on your hands, takes about 10 seconds to dry, and makes an incredible improvement in your grip. Kind of like you put on 600-grit gloves... it is not tacky or sticky at all, but it does leave a faint white residue on your hands.

You can get it at Brownells or a bunch of other places... and better yet it is made by a MI company (no affiliation, just a fan).

Thanks Jay, I haven't heard of the Pistol Pro Grip yet, I checked it out and seems like it'd be good to give it a try, and the price isn't bad at all! Worst case scenerio, I'll have to run the pro grip and grip tape combo! :)

As for stippling the plastic, I'm not sure I want to get that involved with it yet... thats pretty perminant and if I do it and find that I don't like it, I'm pretty much screwed!

wJAKE19
03-29-2010, 10:55 AM
grip tape from the skateboard shop works great!...
if you look at some of the pics on my post's with my guns, they are all grip taped..

Will-IB-Ready
03-29-2010, 11:00 AM
Jake's the resident IDPA expert, I'd take his word for it...

wurm
03-29-2010, 05:29 PM
I use 3M stair tread tape I picked up from Home Depot. Works like a charm and has stuck to a couple of Glocks for the last year with no signs of coming off. It was a tad bit too aggressive at first but I ran some \metal against it real quick to knock down the grit and now it is perfect. Don't Glock without it!

Medic124
03-29-2010, 07:34 PM
I put X-treme grips on my G19. I picked them up at Advanced Ranges for $15 They are made in a sand and rubber. I picked the sand after shooting a G34 competition pistol with a set on them. Awesome feel. I have a piece on the left front above the rail for my left thumb, a piece on either side of the grip and one under the trigger gaurd. A couple of small pieces in the back of the grip. I chose not to put the full back strap piece that came with it. There were a few pieces of the cut out left that I could have put on but did not find them necessary. The sand is quite rough. If you were using the gun for carry when not competing you may need to run another piece of sand paper over it just to take a little of the roughness off of it. here is the website off of the package and some pics of my G19. Please no comments about the pen in the trigger gaurd!:hide:

http://x-tremegrips.com/

wJAKE19
03-29-2010, 09:42 PM
Jake's the resident IDPA expert, I'd take his word for it...

Just for the record, I'm dont claim to be an expert at anything... just like to keep up to speed on the subject...

:etoh:

Will-IB-Ready
03-29-2010, 10:04 PM
Just for the record, I'm dont claim to be an expert at anything... just like to keep up to speed on the subject...

:etoh:
lol

Btw - that guy already sent payment for the single point bungee. Sorry bud.

jeepinrrt
03-31-2010, 11:07 AM
I had problems keeping my hand on the G26 when shooting quickly, it wanted to slide out and my grip would change, so I went to TALON grips. They are skate board tape that they cut into a pattern around your grip. They cost $10 with free shipping. While there is about .25 cents of material there they do a great job of getting the pattern right, and for me it was worth the 10 bucks to forgo the trial and error of the fitting process. Plus now, If this one wears out I have a pattern to work from. I would give them a look.

agksimon
03-31-2010, 08:30 PM
I've tried every slip-on grip you can imagine and the bicycle tube grip works best for me. No slipping, no moving.
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g189/agksimon/PT709SS_Grip.jpg

shooterready
04-05-2010, 09:22 PM
I've been shooting IDPA and USPSA matches and it seems the faster I run the trigger, my strong hand has a tendency twist off the grip and out of reach of the trigger... I don't have sweaty hands so its not that....

I'm thinking some grip tape will be in order stratigically placed, but I can't seem to find anything locally or online for "Gun Grip Tape" so I am thinking about getting some of that skateboard grip tape..... Hogue grips won't work for me because they make the grip too wide/big for my hand.....

What do you use to keep your grip hand from slipping and where do you put it on your grip? I have an idea where I'm gonna need it, but any suggestions are appreciated!

Stogie,

I run TruGrip from Eric Wesselman, the best there is, IMO. He has custom tape for XD's as well.

Dick