PDA

View Full Version : Field Strip a Ruger MKII .22 Pistol

AxeMan
05-15-2003, 09:31 PM
Bluesoftail helped me strip a Romanian .22 successfully...THANK YOU!!!

Can anyone help me strip a Ruger .22 MKII pistol???

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

M1911A1
05-16-2003, 03:36 AM
those are a pain in the neck. getting it apart ist too bad but you have to know the secret handshake to get them back together.
I'll see if I can dig up the manual.

goldwing2000
05-16-2003, 08:10 AM
Ruger will send you a manual for free.

Or you can download one here:

http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/SE-InstructManuals.html

Direct link here:

http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/PDF/01.pdf

They have lots of good other information on their site, including parts lists, serial number date lookups and technical advisories. Definitely worth browsing through.

sprink
05-16-2003, 05:59 PM
you have to know the secret handshake to get them back together.
:lol:

I always figure it out after a try or two, how true!

bluethunder
05-17-2003, 11:01 AM
Anybody familiar with the "conversion kit" to make dis- assembly and assembly easier? It includes a new hammer and a couple other parts. Seems like it would have to be easier than the factory method.

gruvinbass
05-17-2003, 06:07 PM
There's an article about the conversion kit in the current issue of shooting times

sprink
05-17-2003, 07:58 PM
I just got a catalog today with a kit from Majestic Arms. $39.95, new hammer and two piece bolt stop pin. 30 minute installation time, guess that's cause the gun is so hard to take apart and put together. :lol:

bluethunder
05-19-2003, 08:55 AM
Thanks, Gents! What did 'Shooting Times' have to say, Chad? Thumbs up, or thumbs down?

moreguns
02-07-2010, 10:44 PM
OK I just went thru this awhile ago with my mark II try this site =
http://www.1bad69.com/ruger/internals.htm It helped me so much putting my parts kit in.

yonkerss
02-08-2010, 06:45 AM
I too have been considering ordering the conversion kit. Would like people's opinions who have first hand experience, how does it work? Worth getting?

frank206
02-10-2010, 11:26 AM
there are several steps to it so down load the instructions from Ruger..

Joeywhat
02-10-2010, 11:54 AM
There's plenty of guides and videos online, a google search will tell you everything you need to know plus more.

It's not hard to do, although a bit more involved then a Glock. I was able to strip mine down, clean everything and put it all back together in 15 minutes on my first try. Watch the videos and you'll see how easy it is.

who dat
02-10-2010, 12:00 PM
I got mine back together...once...after that it went back to the gun pusher for reassembly every time I had to clean it.

No more Ruger .22 for me. 3 is 3 too many.

dougwg
02-10-2010, 12:08 PM
Wow....it's not that hard IF you can follow a simple procedure.

It's so easy, even a cave man can do it.

donaldjl
02-10-2010, 06:39 PM
It's not bad once you've done it a time or two. Besides, it should be like the above-mentioned secret handshake or a rite of passage to ownership. It's certainly nothing to be afraid of, though.

tororider
02-15-2010, 11:01 PM
I watched a couple youtube videos to get it down, check there.

Passport
02-23-2010, 08:38 PM
Here ya go.............

http://guntalk-online.com/fsprocedures.htm

Doat
02-23-2010, 08:51 PM
You tube has two excellent videos. I clean mind in front of my lap top. It can be a rubiks cube with a trigger until you get used to it.

sevenplusone
02-24-2010, 05:05 AM
Ruger's website had step-by-step video for a while about taking down a MKII or MKIII. I found it to be very helpful.

joepistol
02-24-2010, 01:19 PM
It looks so easy in the videos!
Well, I just took apart (for the first time ) my Mk II that I've owned since it was purchased by me, new,years ago ..Mine was made about 1986 according to Ruger's website,
& though I've always cleaned it after each use, my cleaning method consisted of spraying a large amount of Gunscrubber or Rem Action cleaner,(or even wd-40) down the barrel, into the chamber,& working the action till all the crud was gone. Wipe off, run a brush & patch down the bore & call it done..

Decided today,after seeing this post, to break it down as described in posts, video clips, & instructions etc.. When I tried doing this in the past,a lack of resources had me quit early & stick with my "proven" cleaning method.
(Proven , as it has always fired, extracted & ejected as it's supposed to..)

I had heard that the first time (or few times) the pistol is disassembled that
things were "Stiff" and may require "encouragement" to come apart.
(Truer words were never spoken..) I had to refer to the Ruger website repeatedly to get the bolt stop pin to come out.The website says "might need to lightly tap the top portion of the bolt stop pin "... YEAH,RIGHT..!!!
I had to repeatedly strike (with plastic screwdriver handle) the bolt
stop pin to get it out.. :gavel:
Required much more effort than I thought it should..

Same with separating the barrel/receiver assembly from the grip frame..
A gentle shove/ hard push /light tap ain't gonna do it..again, required extensive good/hard raps (repeated) to get the barrel/receiver assembly to move forward enough to separate the two assemblies..:gavel:

What was surprising was how clean the assemblies were! I guess the flush method of washing out fouling/residue worked quite well , as I was surprised at the small amount of gunk that was found inside the barrel/receiver, bolt,
& frame assemblies. Reassembly again, was more challenging than instructions & videos show..gotta be sure barrel/receiver is fully seated to each other,that hammer position is in correct place, pay close attention to hammer strut location in relation to crosspin on frame, etc..(follow Ruger inst.)

My best advice is to use the Ruger website instruction & to expect using more force than a light tap to get the job done.
(Maybe if I had hunted down a plastic hammer instead of the plastic handled screwdriver I used for one, less effort/fewer taps would have been needed.)

I felt good that I was able to disassemble & reassemble the pistol correctly without major incident or part loss/breakage, :woohoo1: but seeing the difficulty I had doing this "simple" task, thought I would post this as an encouragement to others having the same reluctance to getting started
Hope this helps..& Good Luck..Joepistol....:pistols:

Dr. Vette
03-15-2010, 03:01 PM
OK I just went thru this awhile ago with my mark II try this site =
It helped me so much putting my parts kit in.
Agree.

The 1bad69 site has excellent instructions. I've taken the laptop to the workbench more than once to use his instuctions on a Ruger.

(this silly site won't even let me quote your url.... look back at moreguns' post for the link)

jmoser
03-15-2010, 09:19 PM
Sold my slabside 10+ years back but seem to remember the trick was holding it upside down for reassembly.