PDA

View Full Version : Blueing

bluesoftail
06-20-2003, 10:09 PM
I've got an old .22 rifle that the blueing is rusty, and needs to be re-done. Are any of the "over the counter" blueing products any good, or should I take it somewhere to be done?

Thanks

enfield
06-21-2003, 09:45 AM
I haven't used the home bluing products in a number of years, but I wasn't satisfied with the results, either the quality or the durability. I had my Hawken professionally blued and it was and still is gorgeous.

sprink
06-21-2003, 04:10 PM
"Over the counter" stuff sucks. You can buy real blueing compounds of many types from Brownell's. I think unless you have a few projects, or several interested friends, the chemicals and equipment cost more than a couple of professional jobs.

karcent
06-22-2003, 11:23 AM
D&D gunsmiths in Troy.

bluesoftail
06-23-2003, 03:15 PM
Thanks for the input. I think I'm just going to have it done. I don't want a "cheezy" job from the home job.

GunnFixr
07-29-2003, 12:13 PM
Check out Blue Wonder from Novum Solutions.

http://www.bluewonder.us/BlueWonderGunBlue.html

It is a fairly new product, only been on the market for a couple years. I got a sample pack from the company CEO at a shoot in California last year, and I, too was skeptical. I pulled out my Makarov, and decided to give it a try. My Mak had about 10% of it's original finish, and since I only paid $100 for the gun, I figured that if it were a bust, I wouldn't be too disappointed.

This stuff is nothing like most of the home blue products out there. It is simple to use, and it works. You don't have to worry about spots, or streaks. A shaved monkey (or a hairy one for that matter) can use this stuff. The more you put on, the deeper the blue. It looks great. The unit comes with two one ounce bottles of blue/rust remover, and blue wonder. I suggest you get an extra bottle of the blue wonder. I had to buy a second bottle to finish my Mak, but I did make the Mak rather dark, darker than it was originally.

It looks, and wears like hot blue. Give it a shot, if you don't like it, you can always strip it off and have it done by a pro, and you'll only be out a few bucks (the stuff is pretty cheap) and perhaps a couple hours time. But, I'm sure that if you try it, you'll be pleased.

mkls0
07-29-2003, 08:32 PM
how about Pro Blue by Pro Products inc. has some one gave it a shot ??????