PDA

View Full Version : Lets try a bit more difficult one. . .

Toxie
06-22-2003, 12:11 AM
Ok, First a few "facts" to keep the conjecture down.
A. You lawfully carry your pistol, and are sober/able to use it.
B. You have the gun you carry NOW, in the holster you use now.
C. You are assumed to be a citizen in good standing in your community
D. You are in a decent neighborhood, where crime is reasonable.
E. Please keep the replies REALISTIC. Use your brains and keep it legal.

1. Your inside your house, and you see a scruffy looking black dude exit an old mini-van in the driveway, and knock on the neighbor across the streets front door. You know him, and he's an allright guy, but his adult son (who still lives there) is the local scumbag- petty thug, in and out of jail. As the son exits the house, a scruffy looking white guy exits the mini-van and they both tackle the son, yelling something (you can't hear it, as sunday football is on!). You. . .

2. Your in your local 7-11 (in a suburban neighborhood) around midnight and a guy wearing a shirt that is a little too short bends over to fill up his slurpee. The butt of a black simi-automatic pistol pokes out from under the shirt in the small ov his back. You look around, but its just you, him and the clerk (who is totally absorbed in Jackass at this point) and you notice a car sitting right outside the door, with black tinted windows, and it's running. You then. . .

3. Last one, I promise. You are driving along I-96 and you see the red-flasher of a state trooper with a stop a little while ahead. You, being a human being, slow down as you go by. You notice that both cars have what appear to be bullet holes, and you see that the trooper is hiding in-front of the car, with a long-gun of various make. You. . .

I know, they are hard (at least I hope they are). Please keep in mind REALISTIC answers are what are being asked for! :)

Kouger
06-22-2003, 04:54 AM
1 - call 911 and wait it out.....maybe getting the tar bet out of is just what the doctor ordered...

2 - at this point no laws have been broken ( dependning on which gun i have one mind you) I would slowly reach back.....take off the saftey be very alert and at the ready...but keep in mind...he didnt brandish.....no threat has been made...and maybe a legal cpl holder as well. ( I have been told ( once by my lovely wife) hunny...your guns showing) and once by a friend...dude..i can see the outline ( he did not know it was called printing) go about my business but...again.....be on high alert

3 - now..this........I have ran thru my mind already.....I dont know the right answer...I have played it out in my mind several ways......how I would like for it to happen......get my car as close to the trooper as i can informing him I am legal somehow holding up my blue card, asking if he is ok.....where is the BG..and so on...drawing and helping.allowing him to use my car as well for cover ( stupid...maybe....) make sure he isnt shot.and ok...911 on phne already at this point.....( like i said.stupid..maybe...i lookat it this way.....LEOS put thier lifes on the line every damn day.....if he needs help.....is hurt...pinned down.....you may have the opertunity to get him in yoru car and out of there..draw enough attention away fro him..to give him a clear shot of the bad guy.......but in the same sense...maybe taken as a bad guy when pulling up)

the first 2 in my mind is no brainers......

the 3rd......I have friends.......that is in law enforcement.......if they are hurt.pinned down......still waiting for back up to arrive.and such..I would hope that a good guy would help out if he could......like i stated...it might not be the brightest things I have ever done in my life......

is there a right answer to 3????

ANIMAL
06-22-2003, 07:28 AM
I pretty much have to go with what koug said. Especially on #3. You gotta be willing to get involved and help out.

Rob
06-22-2003, 08:22 AM
#3 would be the hardest senario to answer IMO.

Your gut would tell you to do whatever it takes to help the Officer out. Only thing is under those high stress conditions, chances are the officer is going to assess you as a potential threat and act accordingly.

If you are dead set on helping the officer, while on the phone with 911 have them tell the officer you are in the area and could assist.

I am not even sure about the last sentence but it may be a option. This one is going to take a little more thinking on.

Ken P
06-22-2003, 08:45 AM
what the rest have said...

ANIMAL
06-22-2003, 01:35 PM
All I can think of is a cops segment I was watching a few years back.

A uniform had two perps on the ground and a third in a car. was having trouble controlling the situation as the two on the ground kept trying to get up. he still has to get to the car and secure that.

Next thing I hear is a Harley rolling up and a very large guy with long white hair and beard getting off the bike and telling the uniform that he is retired LEO all the while keeping his left side to the uniform and facing the perps on the ground, also he had drawn a snubbie from small of back and was pointing it at the perps.

Uniform was looking at him not really sure (can't blame him) but called it in on his shoulder mike to let arriving officers in on what was happening.

Note : 1. Biker made no quick moves as uniform already had a situation on his hands. 2. Biker announced his presence and intentions while kepping his attention on the perps and leaving himself open to the uniform, thus showing no hostility toward the uniform.

Now that I have had time to rethink this, I believe the show may have been about Rolling Thunder and the Biker in Question just happened to be in the right spot at the right time to help the uniform. If I recall correctly the Biker left a bunch of his group in a resturant parking lot when he saw the problem across the street. I do remember he left them with instructions to stay where they were.

All in all it worked out good, Uniform secured the car and reinforcements showed up a few minutes later and then the rest of the riders came over and had a gab fest for a few before continuing to the Wall.

Again I would just have to do my best to help the officer any way I could. I could not stand by and not do anything. If I were to find out later that the officer was injured I couldn't look at myself in the mirror.

Its not heroic or macho or cool. I think its just the right thing to do.

If you have the family or the kids with you then its your responsibility to get them out of the danger area first then go back if you can. Not an easy call with the family aboard for some.

bluethunder
06-22-2003, 04:18 PM
First one, I'd wait to see if it's for real, or just horsing around. If it's for real, I'm on the cordless phone to 911, weapon concealed, going outside to see what's up. Shouting so Dispatcher and the neighbors can hear me. Telling them to "stop fighting".
Second one. If he's carrying 'mexican', I'd assume he's a punk. Most 'gunslingers' carry in a holster, right? If it's not in a holster, I continue with my purchase as usual. Go outside to my vehicle and get description of him and vehicle. If it's in a holster, I non-chalantly say some thing like "your slip is showing" or" you're printing". Someone lawfully carrying would know what I meant, someone illegally carrying would just give you a weird look(I think). Not just say "your gun is sticking out". That could open up a big can of worms.
Third one. I'd pull over close as I could to the LEO and try to make him verbally aware of my intentions. Only after I told him what I was going to do, would I pull my weapon, if it was warranted. As others said, in a adreneline rush like that, is no time to make the wrong impression on a Officer. And he could easily mistake you for another threat. But like Animal said, you gotta help out , if you can.

OK, how's that?

Toxie
06-22-2003, 09:17 PM
Ok, I have a few more facts to apply- but very good answers all!

1. This actually happeneds quite often every day in Detroit, because we happen to have a Warrent Enforcement Bureau. They dress up in scruffy clothes so people will answer the door (no one opens the door for you in drtriot if you wear a suit and drive a crown vic, I swear!). Good answers all to this one.

2. Good answers all again- but you just met an extremely cheap LEO who just got off work (and refuses to buy new shirts). He's thinking about the jackass he just cought with an open 40 while going 60 in a 45. (Side note, I know more then a few LEO's who carry "gangster style", and while I think its stupid, there are no laws against stupid . . .yet)

3. Next I would have to say study at the school of Animal, for he pays attention. Good answer all of you! Make him aware you are a lawful citizen, and ask if he needs help. It truly warms the cockles to see a citizen help a LEO, as many LEO's feel that the pubilc does not appreciate the work they do. It's good to know that you have some civvy backup out there!

RSF
06-22-2003, 10:21 PM
Hummm, and dont use your prep as an impact weapon right?

Toxie
06-22-2003, 11:43 PM
Unless your boat anchor is empty and you need to kill him, because if they aren't about the same size/weight as a brick i'll be martha stewart.

RSF
06-22-2003, 11:45 PM
LOL,and there you have the rest of the story! lmao the boat anchor! better off using the prep i think

Toxie
06-23-2003, 01:25 AM
Airport gave me a p228, so now I have no good excuses not to be able to hit my targets :/

bluethunder
06-23-2003, 11:50 AM
Hummm, and dont use your prep as an impact weapon right?

:lolup: :rofl: Yeah, just make sure the radio in the squad still works before you do! :hick:

Toxie
06-23-2003, 10:05 PM
Nah, its embarrassing to let everyone hear you scream like a little girl.

That aside, If everyone likes these, ill do one (the tougher ones, not I find a guy in my bedroom door with a gun) every couple of weeks.

bluethunder
06-24-2003, 08:31 AM
Nah, its embarrassing to let everyone hear you scream like a little girl.

That aside, If everyone likes these, ill do one (the tougher ones, not I find a guy in my bedroom door with a gun) every couple of weeks.

You got that right. Nobody wants to hear ya "scream like a schoolgirl". :P

I, :biggrin: for one like them. It never hurts to expand your mind a little. Think outta the box, so to speak.

Quaamik
08-24-2003, 11:02 AM
Easy answers, all of them:

1) Call 911, then sit back and watch. Wouldn't even try to break it up unless weapons came out. Maybe not even then (scumbags on scumbags: who do you back up?)

2) Position myself so that the guy will not be able to see both me and the clerk at the same time. Wait until he finishes his purchse before approaching the counter and leaving. Keep my right hand free and in a position to draw quickly.

3) Everyone keeps saying this one is hard... why? Your driving on I-96, and he said you "slowed down", not came to a rolling stop. Slowing down on I-96 means you may have dropped to around 50. No way on gods green earth are you going to see the situation, recognize it, react to it and stop the car in time to avoid winding up in the officers field of fire.

Reaction is, flip on the brights as you pass the officer. This should give at least some momentary distraction to the perps, and hopefully give the officer a momentary advantage. Get on the cell (if you have one .. I don't) and call 911. Get off the nearest exit and, if you don't have a cell like me, use a pay phone to call 911. Otherwise head back around the service drives (if in the detroit area) to where you can be in a supporting position, then asess the situation. Past that, it depends on what the situation is when you get back there.

If your out of the Detroit area, head back along the freeway in the opposite direction if you feel brave. Remember though, you are heading in from downrange of the officer. He has a long gun. A missed shot of his that hits your car could punch right through it (depends what he's using). Your also giving him one more thing downrange to worry about hitting if he takes a shot. You might be better off to try to flag down / stop traffic in the opposite direction, to keep them from getting into the field of fire.