PDA

View Full Version : Ok I need some INFORM.

mkls0
07-01-2003, 05:35 PM
Im new to black powder is there a good web set I can go too .

I know nothing about black powder.

I need to know what bullet to use
I need to know what powder to use

RSF
07-01-2003, 06:18 PM
well mikey, what gun did yah get what caliber? hunting or just target shooting? will it take patched round balls or buffalo bullets, or sabots, or power belts?

mkls0
07-01-2003, 06:23 PM
it 50 cal with a 1:48 t. traditions deerhunter blackpowder or pyrodex
that is all I know

RSF
07-01-2003, 06:24 PM
some prodex or triple seven powder a buffalo bullet and bore butter

mkls0
07-01-2003, 06:30 PM
some prodex or triple seven powder a buffalo bullet and bore butter

How do i know how much powder to use ? Is there a book ???

RSF
07-01-2003, 06:42 PM
yes there is ill try to find the web site for you mike general rule is to start with about 80 to 90 grains of powder though as a good bet for accuracy, ill find something

GMAN12
07-02-2003, 03:53 PM
Try: www.cva.com They have a BB board with alot of good info.
p.s. I have the same gun you got, mine was a kit. It's a blast to shoot.

Jerry
07-03-2003, 02:32 PM
I also own the same gun in both percussion and flintlock.

I like the percussion better...however the flintlock will make you a better shot.

90 gr FFG... 240 gr sabot fron hornady I scoped the rifle and sighted it in for 100 yards....it will shoot a might further if I hold over and I shoot squirrels with it by holding under about three inches at 30 yards.

Excellent little gun with enough punch for deer and accruate enough with a scope( for my aging eyes) to take squirrels.

Got to love 'em....

Jerry
07-03-2003, 07:30 PM
A good book to get is Lymans Black powder Hand book....

It will give you different loads with different projectiles.

And this is very important....When measuring the powder it has to be measured by volume ........NOT BY WEIGHT!!!!!

There are powder measures for black powder that are adjustable and are available at most sporting goods stores.

Get the manual first and read it front to back and they will give you just about all the info you need on how to load and what to buy.

Need more info?...email me. I will try and get you on the right path and we could meet up at Robs and go shooting!!!! That is a good way to get started....have someone walk you through the steps which makes it much easier and safer to get started.

None of the indoor ranges that I know of will let you shoot blackpowder because it plugs up the air filtration system.

Where about do you live maybe we could hook up and shoot at a range somewhere in between your location and mine.