PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some tips to take the little ones fishing...

seeker01
03-31-2010, 09:11 PM
...just to get the lures wet, really.

somewhere close to the royal oak area that's kid friendly, etc.
also, what would you use there... gummy worms, spoons, lures, etc.

my toddler has been having a blast playing with my fishing stick in the basement since he could hold it. So, i broke down and got a cheap rod at Meijer and want to take him out for the real thing
I doubt he'll have the patience to actually fish... but a little outdoor adventure with daddy will be good anyways, maybe we'll get lucky and get something out of the water

pkuptruck
04-01-2010, 04:03 AM
Proud lake is pretty easy, as is Kensington, west pier. Both are available online.

great place to catch blue gills, and such, and usually never a disappointment for the kids!

JohnnieBravo
04-01-2010, 06:36 AM
I take my lil ones to the boat launch over at Moore Lake in Highland Twp. They have a blast catching all the bluegills in the flooding.

Buzzcat
04-01-2010, 07:31 AM
Little kids get bored quickly, so I'd stay away from artificial baits. There's no guarantee you'll pick the right one, and the kids probably can't or won't be able to impart the correct action to draw a hit.

I suggest that you use real nightcrawlers on a basic hook and bobber rig... the fish are hungry this time of year and your kids will be reeling them in all day long.

Pontiac Lake Rec Area has plenty of shoreline fishing on either side of the beach and over by the boat launch.

miked
04-01-2010, 08:14 AM
It doesn't matter where you go. From my experience with me nephews, all that matters is that they get to fish. They always lost interest or spent too much time with their poles out of water to ever catch anything anyway.. but they still had fun :-D

Hawgrider
04-01-2010, 08:20 AM
...just to get the lures wet, really.

somewhere close to the royal oak area that's kid friendly, etc.
also, what would you use there... gummy worms, spoons, lures, etc.

my toddler has been having a blast playing with my fishing stick in the basement since he could hold it. So, i broke down and got a cheap rod at Meijer and want to take him out for the real thing
I doubt he'll have the patience to actually fish... but a little outdoor adventure with daddy will be good anyways, maybe we'll get lucky and get something out of the waterIf your in the northern burbs....there are a couple nice fishing docks(both have railing around them so the little ones don't fall in) at Aldermen Lake off Harvey lake road and M59 and another at Pettibone lake. Motor vehicle permit required at both Blue Gills should provide plenty of action.

seeker01
04-01-2010, 06:07 PM
you all rock!
:thup:

Buzzcat
04-01-2010, 06:44 PM
you all rock!
:thup:

No prob, I'm ready to drown a few worms and minnows myself. :wink:

If you decide to go to PLRA, I can recommend KD's for your live bait needs. Always fresh stuff, plus a lot of other nice fishing gear available. They're on the north side of 59, about 200 yards or so east of Williams Lake Road.

Have fun and good luck!

seeker01
04-03-2010, 02:06 PM
just got back from plra, stopped by kd's... the whole bit
only fished for about a 45 mins

IT WAS ALL WORTH IT... he caught his first little one by the boat slip
happy dad, I am

;-)

No prob, I'm ready to drown a few worms and minnows myself. :wink:

If you decide to go to PLRA, I can recommend KD's for your live bait needs. Always fresh stuff, plus a lot of other nice fishing gear available. They're on the north side of 59, about 200 yards or so east of Williams Lake Road.

Have fun and good luck!

Buzzcat
04-03-2010, 02:13 PM
just got back from plra, stopped by kd's... the whole bit
only fished for about a 45 mins

IT WAS ALL WORTH IT... he caught his first little one by the boat slip
happy dad, I am

;-)

Excellent! :thumbup:

Sux that the weather went kerflooey, but glad to hear the little guy reeled one in.

_DK_
04-08-2010, 07:45 AM
Too bad my wife walked away with the camera for a 2nd video...

8WJ75OLL4d8

She came back and shot this. My son was flippin out! it would have been great on video

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs134.snc1/5734_1171703658224_1397003819_30474954_6370081_n.j pg

seeker01
04-09-2010, 07:07 AM
DK... that's kinda what my experience looked like
all my son wanted to do was reel it in :)

kirk900
04-09-2010, 04:18 PM
pack some snacks like a pb an j and stuff so he can snak so he wont get bored so quick.

seeker01
04-19-2010, 03:50 PM
pack some snacks like a pb an j and stuff so he can snak so he wont get bored so quick.

...i usually do the pb&j's, box of cheeze-its (or other crackers), and if i am ambitious i boil 1/2 dozen eggs
along with drinks, etc. :rainfro: