PDA

View Full Version : Left handed in a car.

yengese
07-18-2003, 03:55 PM
I drive a smaller car, and am left handed, so the pistol is always between myself and the drivers side door. I usually wear a belt holster and cover it with a long shirt. It seems like I can't figure out a good way to draw and respond, if I am ever caught in a situation such as being stopped at a light and my drivers side door being a approached by a bad guy. The seatbelt situation also hampers things, since the lapbelt is right over the pistol. Any suggestions from you lefties? THanks

Scoop
07-18-2003, 06:49 PM
Learn to draw/shoot right handed as well. No different than if you injured your left hand during an altercation.

-b²

RSF
07-18-2003, 10:04 PM
repostion the grip of the gun so it isnt covered by the belt! and tuck in your shirt behind the gun! now as far as drawing the gun i have found that leaning forward and to the right will work well for you being left handed! or even a crossdraw paddle holster just for driving is the answer as well! just leave the holster in the car! i just had this disscussion with a friend the other day while driving to cableas! and showed her how to do it this way!

HK USP
07-21-2003, 08:40 PM
4 words, Sholder Holster, Cross Draw.

Wesley w/Glock
08-07-2003, 08:39 AM
As a southpaw myself, I'm not convinced that there even exists a good answer to this problem. I do not think that having a mode of carry unique for car use is a solution. Whatever you do it has to be seemless from the time you place the pistol in service before leaving the house to the time you go to bed at night when you remove it from concealed service.

Always keep in mind that the gun is in a fail-safe mode as long as you do not tinker with it and just leave it where it is in its holster. Unfortunately there are times when you must tinker with it (i.e. entering a CEZ) but you will probably be better off overall if you strive to minimize these times. Having a separate carry system for the car would work against you in this.

Also, consider that the more you define additional carry jobs, the more likely it will be that you are not consistent with them. I think a "set it and forget it" goal is what you should have.

Nevertheless, probably the most important thing to do is to convey to your attacker that you are armed since this alone often times nullifies a threat. This means rapid presentation for which you are handicapped with your described situation. I think Deputy's suggestion to work other things around the holstered weapon to suit it is your best bet. Beyond that is tinkering which may or may not be appropriate.

RSF
08-07-2003, 03:22 PM
ok let me add to this i have come up with something that i have been using a bit here let me tell you all about i use an uncle mikes belt slide, with a 1.75 strap of velcro/webing and put the whole thing on in my car now the trick is i wrap the gun holster around the top of my leg and secure it with the strap gun points towards the dash muzzle past my legs so no chance of wacking myself

olechopper
08-07-2003, 08:42 PM
was on the way home tonight and got stuck in rush hour traffic, not moving at all, question is stuck in traffic and the loonie next to you pulls a gun and starts waving at you and others ,, no where to go just stuck, what would you do? thought about crahsing into him to distract and allow time to take cover and draw and clog up traffic more to stop this guyand have 911 on the line, what do you think?

Steve

olechopper
08-07-2003, 08:44 PM
was on the way home tonight and got stuck in rush hour traffic, not moving at all, question is stuck in traffic and the loonie next to you pulls a gun and starts waving at you and others ,, no where to go just stuck, what would you do? thought about crahsing into him to distract and allow time to take cover and draw and clog up traffic more to stop this guyand have 911 on the line, what do you think? or just get out and take cover on the opposite sideof the car, much faster?

Steve

RSF
08-07-2003, 09:45 PM
first and foremost get out on the line of threat! period call 911, and let them know what is happening, give them a description of your vehicle and you! so you are not mistaken for the bad guy, then if possible stay with your vehicle if he decides to start shooting wel then due what you have too do to stop the threat! but i would not leave my vehicle, do not ram him might make him fly off even worse or worse yet say you rammed him and that hwy he drew his gun etc..... stay put use your vehicle as cover inside if possible. if not get out go to the rear of your vehicle do not draw down unless being fired upon! and watch your line of fire in the background! remember that nun driving the blind kids bus! and of course you dont want to draw fire either! it is a tuff situation to be in trust me! but use your head!

yengese
08-08-2003, 11:12 AM
lefties of the world, unite!
thanks for the suggestions. THe leg holster sounds like a good idea.
hey, dep, are you doing any more handgun classes?