PDA

View Full Version : Help valueing a Sprinfield 1911A1

Guenivar
04-01-2010, 10:50 PM
I was digging through the safe last weekend and found a Springfield 1011A1 Mil-Spec Bi-tone? Model PB9104L. It has a stainless frame, blued slide, and lanyard ring mainspring housing. I must have purchased it years ago and fergot it behind a wall of 7.62 x 39 ammo, it still has the trigger tag on it, all paperwork, and is unfired. Since I obviouslly will never use it (didn't miss it the 10?yrs its been hiding there) I was going to post it up for trades, but am unable to locate a current value on it. It seems they went out of production years ago. Any help would be appreciated.

joe_robi
04-01-2010, 11:15 PM
heres one that sold for 480.http://www.auctionarms.com/closed/printitem.cfm?itemnum=9359929
what are you looking to trade it for?

pkuptruck
04-02-2010, 04:27 AM
heres one that sold for 480....

what are you looking to trade it for?

Have to agree with JR ^^^^^

its probably Springfield "bottom of the barrel" offering... ( meaning price point/entry level weapon... not a slam on the model...)

You PROBABLY could get a few more bucks, if you held out for "just the right buyer".... but not enough to cause you to lose a trade your looking for....

good luck!

Guenivar
04-02-2010, 06:59 AM
Thanks for the info, none of the books I had listed this model. I'll prolly post it up this weekend fr trades, 500-550? value as its NIB not used. looking for a semi auto or bolt center fire long gun, NOT of the AK, AR, or milsup variety. maybe a used mini 14/30? or an entry level turn bolt?

JohnJak
04-02-2010, 07:13 AM
How could one forget?

ColonelKurtz
04-02-2010, 09:45 AM
How could one forget?

Believe me, it happens :help:

It's a cool looking gun and Springfield has a very loyal following. I'm sure a collector would give $500 for a NIB example. You might find more input at 1911forum.com Unfirtunately they don't allow firearm "for sale" postings... unlike EVERY OTHER forum out there, sheesh!

kevins_garage
04-02-2010, 10:21 AM
My advice would be to not accept info on value from anyone that wants to buy/trade for it...:slap:

A quick and easy way to get an idea on valuation is to simply take it to a couple gun shops and see what they are willing to pay. GM pretty much buys at a set percentage of book value (60% cash or 70% trade). Sometimes the book values of Springfield's (especially older or out of production models) is "exaggerated" and you might find that you can do the same or better than trying to sell it on your own.

I'm not sure why 1911forum continues their "no sales of firearms" rule, but everybody pretty much knows how to get around it - just go over there and post up a thread in the Springfield sub-forum asking if your gun is "rare" and what it might be worth IF you were to try and sell it. If anyone is interested, they will contact you. Be careful that your post doesn't come across as a for sale post and you'll be fine.

HVYMTLMEC
04-02-2010, 11:09 AM
You would prob come out ahead on a trade VS a cash deal on this. IMHO.

Good luck. :flag:

Guenivar
04-02-2010, 11:28 AM
Thanks for all the help, I posted over in the 1911 forum, as soon as I get a value set it'll be posted in the trade forum. It needs a good home an my collection is handgun heavy and long gun light anyway so a trade is the way to go.