PDA

View Full Version : Point Shooting -- CANCELED

taurus92
09-02-2003, 11:37 AM
Oct 18th

How do you shoot in a combat situation? How about an unexpected threat suddenly attacks? How to shoot accuratly in close encounters 2 - 15 yards without using your sights. Yes it can be done.

Location West Branch.
Cost $125

What to bring:

Working handgun
Minimum 2 extra mags / speed loaders.
Extra mag / speed loader pouches.
Holster that covers trigger guard. No Shoulder or Cross draw.
400 Rounds of Ammo
Hat w/brim
Dress for all weather conditions
Lunch and beverage

$50 deposit to be sent to me. PM for address. This deposit is non-refundable but can be applied to future training for a period of 6 months.

Portion of the proceeds will be donated to MGO. Come out learn, shoot and help the org!

Ken P
09-02-2003, 12:29 PM
This is an excellant class and provides a good foundation for future classes.

I took it a few months ago. I found it to be very helpful and put my fears to rest about not being able to accquire a "traditional" sight picture under stress

If you've never taken a combat course, this is the best introduction you can have.

And if you're lucky Rob will shoot his glock upside down again (and remove a few layers of skin from his hand again!)

G22
09-02-2003, 01:44 PM
Ditto what Ken said.

For all those who missed the last one, here ya go. :thup:

& maybe You'll see Mark wing the poor innocent nun being held up by the bad guy!!!!

(I know, I know, the majority of the holes in the nun were .40 cal :lol:
good thing she's only paper!!!)

taurus92
09-02-2003, 03:42 PM
Ditto what Ken said.

For all those who missed the last one, here ya go. :thup:

& maybe You'll see Mark wing the poor innocent nun being held up by the bad guy!!!!

(I know, I know, the majority of the holes in the nun were .40 cal :lol:
good thing she's only paper!!!)

naaa I do not plan on slicing myself with a box cutter the day before class again!

RSF
09-02-2003, 08:28 PM
And if you're lucky Rob will shoot his glock upside down again (and remove a few layers of skin from his hand again!)

amatures should not try this! (jeesh) lmao

Jim Simmons
09-02-2003, 11:25 PM
Everyone oughta take one of these classes at least once a year. Steve knows how to keep you honest and you will ALWAYS learn something thought-provoking.

I'm two weeks away from my annual "refresher."

Fiddler
09-09-2003, 08:00 AM
Marty and I are really hoping to make it for this one. We just need to make sure our calendar is clear for that day.

M1911A1
09-10-2003, 08:20 PM
I must admit that this particular skill is very fascinating to me. Historically, it goes way back before the weaver stance, the isosceles stance or even the blade stance. I was told by an old buddy (who recently passed away) that he was taught that skill as a youth by an F.B. I. agent friend of his family. He used the point shooting skill to gain an expert pistol rating while in the U.S.A.F. and that it continued to serve him well even in to his C.P.L. training just a couple of years ago!
Philosophically, learning a skill that possibly even predates iron sights has a very strong appeal. I don't knock other techniques and learning and certainly would advise any who ask to gain as much training as they can. Still in all, there is a certain wisdom in learning historically important skills. As written by the prophet Jeremiah, "Stand ye in the ways, and see, and ask for the old paths, where is the good way, and walk therein..."
Logically, point shooting instills an amount of reflexive response and when confronted with a immanent and immediate threat, most people end up responding solely on reflex. Therefore one can conclude that learning to shoot using their pistol almost as an extension of themselves will be the most valuable skill in their knowledge base.

In short, this is arguably the most intriguing class anyone could possibly take.

Ken P
09-10-2003, 08:38 PM
I must admit that this particular skill is very fascinating to me. Historically, it goes way back before the weaver stance, the isosceles stance or even the blade stance. I was told by an old buddy (who recently passed away) that he was taught that skill as a youth by an F.B. I. agent friend of his family. He used the point shooting skill to gain an expert pistol rating while in the U.S.A.F. and that it continued to serve him well even in to his C.P.L. training just a couple of years ago!
Philosophically, learning a skill that possibly even predates iron sights has a very strong appeal. I don't knock other techniques and learning and certainly would advise any who ask to gain as much training as they can. Still in all, there is a certain wisdom in learning historically important skills. As written by the prophet Jeremiah, "Stand ye in the ways, and see, and ask for the old paths, where is the good way, and walk therein..."
Logically, point shooting instills an amount of reflexive response and when confronted with a immanent and immediate threat, most people end up responding solely on reflex. Therefore one can conclude that learning to shoot using their pistol almost as an extension of themselves will be the most valuable skill in their knowledge base.

In short, this is arguably the most intriguing class anyone could possibly take.

so does this mean you're going?

M1911A1
09-11-2003, 03:32 AM

I can't tell you! If I do, then THEY would know where to find me! :crazy:
:etoh: :hick: :smoke: :silly: :lol:

taurus92
10-02-2003, 09:53 AM
OK folks 6 so far!

Please sign up and send that deposit money in!

To those that signed up - send that deposit along....

taurus92
10-09-2003, 10:00 AM
Well this class is canceled.

1 Canceled this week and never sent the deposit.
2 have not replied to PM's and never sent the Deposit

With only 3 left it is not feasible to teach.

Those that have sent the deposit will have it returned to them.

Wesley w/Glock
10-09-2003, 10:41 AM
That's ashame. Point shooting or indexing is a critical part of the gun deployment in self defense. There just isn't any time to be taking a sight picture.

AimHigh
10-09-2003, 02:02 PM
NO......

What if you receive several payments in the next few days? Would it revert to Green again???

My wife and I have been waiting with much anticipation for this class. Needless to say, I am shocked.

taurus92
10-09-2003, 04:39 PM
NO......

What if you receive several payments in the next few days? Would it revert to Green again???

My wife and I have been waiting with much anticipation for this class. Needless to say, I am shocked.

Yes if they arrive in the next few days or they contact me.

I am quite suprised at teh 2 that have not returned the message... they have been online and they did confirm earlier. I am shocked that they did not pay the deposit either.

But I will say this is not the 1st cancel from them and they will not be added to a future roster.

Fiddler
10-09-2003, 09:59 PM
Well this class is canceled.

1 Canceled this week and never sent the deposit.
2 have not replied to PM's and never sent the Deposit

Sorry to hear the class was cancelled, however if you are referring to me and Marty as "the 2" I must point out that we never confirmed because we were not sure we would be available. We have a lot going on outside the org.

Marty and I are really hoping to make it for this one. We just need to make sure our calendar is clear for that day.

I can't tell you! If I do, then THEY would know where to find me! :crazy:
:etoh: :hick: :smoke: :silly: :lol:

Never replied to PM's? There was one PM and it was sent yesterday and only to me. Sorry I didn't read it until today but I have a life outside the org. Did you copy Marty the PM? Did you make any effort to ask us if we were coming when you saw us online? No!

I am quite suprised at teh 2 that have not returned the message... they have been online and they did confirm earlier. I am shocked that they did not pay the deposit either.

We never confirmed because we didn't know if we would be available. Marty was online, but since I can't get on from work, the first time I was online today was at 6:00 this evening - the same time I got the one message that you just sent yesterday. By that time you had already posted. Did you try instant messaging Marty to ask if we were coming? No!

But I will say this is not the 1st cancel from them and they will not be added to a future roster.

Interesting that you singled us out, even though I know for a fact that we are not the only ones who have cancelled previously. As for that cancellation, sorry I hurt my back to the point where it was excruciatingly painful to even move let alone travel or shoot. How inconsiderate of me.
Oh - but you knew that!

As for not being added to a future roster, no problem.

taurus92
10-10-2003, 04:53 AM
Gee fiddler take a chill pill. I guess if you are going to make a lot of assumptions you know what you look like.

Sorry I leave my IM on all the time ... or maybe I do sit at my PC 24 / 7.

AimHigh
10-10-2003, 05:27 AM
There seem to be some hurt feelings here and it's showing. Even though I am disappointed the class is cancelled, there is always another day.

Please be kind to one another. We are on the same team.

God bless you.

Fiddler
10-10-2003, 06:17 AM
Gee fiddler take a chill pill. I guess if you are going to make a lot of a**umptions you know what you look like.

Sorry I leave my IM on all the time ... or maybe I do sit at my PC 24 / 7.

Oh don't even go there. You know there are no assumptions here since I PM'd you and got a rude response and IM'd you and got no response.

Ken P
10-10-2003, 07:59 AM
maybe you two could deal with it offline

Sigster
10-10-2003, 08:06 AM

Second that motion...

Let's all try to get along.

taurus92
10-10-2003, 08:54 AM
yep offline....

Well I have obligations up north that weekend anyway so I will spend the extra time in a tree stand.

Hope ya all enjoy the boards I am outta here... have fun

Fiddler
10-10-2003, 07:02 PM

True, but if you read my post I already tried that and didn't get anywhere. That's alright. I have nothing more to say on the subject.

savedbydbelle
10-10-2003, 09:25 PM
:cry: