PDA

View Full Version : Restoration of gun rights

Michigan2010
04-07-2010, 11:39 PM
I know that a lot states allow restoration of gun rights, does anyone know if michigan does and if so how? Anyone know anyone that has done it?

kreemee15
04-08-2010, 12:51 AM
sounds like someone got in some trouble,what kind of trouble is it if it is a felony you might get it expungement as long as its not a violent crime but it will be pretty pricey to clear the record and they say to wait so many years before you try to clear the record if you want you can send me a private message its up to you i might be able to help you with a very good lawyer he knows all of the tricks of the trade

Thomas
04-08-2010, 12:39 PM
Should be in the legal section but hey! :)

My opinion and advise it worth exactly what your paying for it BUT a friend is going threw this now. In his case, he can not get his record expunged here in Michigan because he has one felony and one misdemeanor. Looks like Michigan allows for expungement of a felony IF you have no other convictions including misdemeanors on your record.

Copied from another source:

Multiple Convictions - Misdemeanors

A person who is convicted of not more than one offense may file an application with the convicting court for the entry of an order setting aside the conviction. A person may have only one conviction expunged. Thus, a person convicted of only one offense may obtain expungement, but a person convicted of more than one offense may not obtain expungement. Multiple offenses which disqualify a person from expungement include any convictions, whether misdemeanor or felony. MCL 780.621(1)

So basically, do you have more than one adult criminal conviction or more than one juvenile adjudication? If so, you cannot get your criminal record expunged. It does not matter if only one of the crimes is a felony. Even if only one of the crimes is serious, you cannot get an expungement.

This was good for a read too:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/77270/how_to_expunge_set_aside_a_criminal_pg2.html?cat=1 7

Michigan2010
04-08-2010, 08:59 PM
I'm actually applying for the "pardon after completion of sentence" which isnt as strict as an expungment and free to do yourself. I dont know if that would restore gun rights though in and of itself.

That plus if possible I'd like to get the gun rights seperate while its pending(some take years to push through) anyone know of anyone without an expungment who had gunrights returned?

Michigan2010
04-23-2010, 10:06 PM
Apparently its just a five year wait and a $10 fee at the court house. No biggie, been way over that amount of time. Be hunting with you boys in no time. :ar15:

dramey82
04-23-2010, 10:09 PM
Good to hear and Welcome.

Made_in_Michigan
04-23-2010, 10:13 PM
Apparently its just a five year wait and a $10 fee at the court house. No biggie, been way over that amount of time. Be hunting with you boys in no time. :ar15:

Keep on the straight and narrow and welcome to the good guy's side...

Shyster
04-23-2010, 10:44 PM
A LITTLE more complicated than that but good luck!

Made_in_Michigan
04-23-2010, 11:00 PM

Shyster here is one of those lawyer type guys Michigan2010. Best advice would probably be to talk to one :)

Michigan2010
04-25-2010, 02:51 PM
I was told you basicly just filled out the papers and paid the $10 and then plea your case to the board. Any specific advice?(feel free to PM me)

Ken1973
04-28-2010, 08:41 PM
Welcome to MGO and good luck! :thup:

Shyster
04-28-2010, 09:04 PM
I was told you basicly just filled out the papers and paid the $10 and then plea your case to the board. Any specific advice?(feel free to PM me)
Sorry, that would be billable advice ;)

dpgperftest
04-28-2010, 09:24 PM
sounds like someone got in some trouble,what kind of trouble is it if it is a felony you might get it expungement as long as its not a violent crime but it will be pretty pricey to clear the record and they say to wait so many years before you try to clear the record if you want you can send me a private message its up to you i might be able to help you with a very good lawyer he knows all of the tricks of the trade
tricks of the trade thats BS if some one paid thare time that should be it
You would think that people who believe in the second amendment would be believers in the rest of the constitution
You would think that people who believe in the second amendment would be believers in the rest of the constitution

dpgperftest
04-28-2010, 09:25 PM
Sorry, that would be billable advice ;)

:barf:

1-2many
04-29-2010, 06:13 AM
:barf:

Do you work for free? Come on now...:shake:

dpgperftest
04-29-2010, 03:30 PM
Do you work for free? Come on now...:shake:

I do volunteer for a lot of good things…… if I was a lawyer I would for MGO people just because it’s the right thing to do and cops are not your friend !!!!! It amazes me on how Many the greedy people that expects to get pay-ed for every thing and never help anyone with out $$$$$$$$.
I hat to see what would happen it sh*& hit the fan people would be killing for a candy bar…....:shake: makes me :barf:

Just the way society is at sad just remember you reap what you sow

lunchboxmike
10-17-2013, 09:33 AM
O.K., for all you boys and girls out there. Here is the real poop on this matter...
Michigan law says the concealed weapons board has the jurisdiction to restore gun rights. In order to apply with the Michigan gun board you must first take a the firearm safety course and submit the certificate with the application. Your answer from gun board will arrive within 45-days.
Section 28.424 of Act 372 of 1927 tells you the gun board has jurisdiction to restore gun rights after a person has been convicted of a felony. (Even OUIL 3rd)
Section 750-224f of Act 328 of 1931 further goes on to tell you the gun board can restore your gun rights after a felony provided the following:
The expiration of either 3 or 5 years (Depending on seriousness of felony)
a. The person has paid all fines imposed for the violations.
b. The person has served all terms of imprisonment imposed for the violation.
c. The person has successfully completed all conditions of probation or parole imposed for the violation.
However, after submitting the above two sections of Michigan Law and the completed firearms training certificate to the Michigan gun board, they will send you a denial letter stating that your OUIL 3rd conviction is a permanent denial for a CPL. And further tells you that If you have the conviction completely set aside, you may reapply for CPL licensing. However, section 28.424 says that if the gun board denies you, you can file a petition with the circuit court.
By the way, Michigan does not, and has never provided for the setting aside of OUIL 3rd conviction and only a governors pardon could provide this setting aside provision and remember this, the governor has never pardoned any OUIL 3rd conviction.
Bottom Line? The law allows for gun right restoration from the Michigan gun board. The gun boards decision will be dependent upon which County gun board you are applying to. If all else fails you can petition the circuit court based on Section 28.424 of Michigan Law.
Print this out and provide to your attorney for help. Your attorney probably never knew about these above laws. I've been researching this issue since 1998 and still have not had my gun rights reinstated.
We live in a society of laws of which our government tends not to follow in favor of the people!
I hope this helps...