PDA

View Full Version : Gun notebook?

Galen_M
04-12-2010, 01:17 PM
Does anyone keep a notebook for their guns of rounds fired, kind of round, any failures, whether or not the gun was cleaned immediately, any other pertinent info? I just got home from my first trip to the range with my new (to me) Sig, and this thought occurred to me. It would be a great way to know the round count of the gun if you decided to sell it, know when certain maintenance might be needed soon, or know if there was some ammo commonality for any failures it ever had. You might also use it to describe your shooting that day, or thoughts on that particular range, etc. I'd like to hear if this is a common thing, or if I've stumbled on some brilliant idea.

dmo8361
04-12-2010, 01:44 PM
Welcome to the site first of all.

Any gun I buy new get a notebook of its own, kept seperate from the gun. That way if they are ever stolen, i still have the serial numbers and description to report to the authorities. The make, model, and serial number go in it, along with the original reciept. Any mods I make to it gets noted (sights, grips, whatever), a complete round count including targets folded up, and ammo type, munufacturer, and anything else I see fit to write. When and if I ever sell that gun, that folder goes with it to the new owner.

Used ones I keep notes on, but not as closely as the new ones.

joepistol
04-12-2010, 01:47 PM
I have used a notebook for my guns for different reasons.

I record the date, where I purchased, & price paid for my guns.

I note date,shop, price & work done when mods are done
i.e.triggerjob, sights installed,etc

I also include price of any extra equipment,date,etc
of scopes, mounts, spare magazines,slings, holsters ,cases,etc.

Reasons of recording this data is not only for resale purpose, but I include a verbal description in case of theft, (for police/ insurance co..)

I include color (blue/ss, barrel length, serial #'s.and as mentioned above,
a list of mods done to the firearm.

Never had to use this info, but is good to have it,
esp. as your collection "grows" .. ;-)...joepistol...:pistols:

Midway put out a shooters logbook that I used to get started (years ago)
it is an Orange vinyl covered ring binder that had pages to record registration of guns,load data record sheets, & an assortment of targets.
It is /was called the Midway Shooters Notebook..FYI may still be available from them.

JimSig
04-12-2010, 01:47 PM
Yes.. I keep a log Sheet for everygun in an excel file. Each gun's info is entered in a seperate tab with info like: date of purchase, sight picture for the gun with different type of ammo that I used. Then a logsheet with date, range name, number of rounds, type of ammo, comments, and cleaning dates.

I used to clean my guns (field strip style) after every range trip. Now I do it at 500 or 600 rounds.

This logsheet is handy for maintainance purposes like when to change the recoil spring and stuff like that.

JimSig
04-12-2010, 01:49 PM
Yes.. I keep a log Sheet for everygun in an excel file. Each gun's info is entered in a seperate tab with info like: date of purchase, sight picture for the gun with different type of ammo that I used. Then a logsheet with date, range name, number of rounds, type of ammo, comments, and cleaning dates.

I used to clean my guns (field strip style) after every range trip. Now I do it at 500 or 600 rounds.

This logsheet is handy for maintainance purposes like when to change the recoil spring and stuff like that.

Edited: by the way the 500-600 rds cleanup are for range guns only. I am not talking here about carry guns.. You want your carry gun to be in utmost ready condition.

ColonelKurtz
04-12-2010, 03:56 PM
No way... sounds like we have a bunch of engineers and accounants here, though. Wow.

Galen_M
04-12-2010, 03:57 PM
Thanks for all the info. I'm not too concerned that my collection will get too big, I just want to take good care of what I have, and be able to get top dollar for it should I decide to replace it. I hadn't thought that much about the theft angle, since I only have a stock black Sig. It is a good and nice looking gun, but it looks about exactly like every other P228 out there. I researched it obsessively before I bought it, so I have a general description of it burned indelibly into my brain.

pkuptruck
04-12-2010, 03:59 PM
No way... sounds like we have a bunch of engineers and accounants here, though. Wow.

LMAO...

now, relax... find your happy place! :bdaysmile:

I happen to agree though..... I USED to keep pretty detailed logs of the weapons I shoot. Date, weather, number of rounds, scope, blah blah blah...

I can see why , if you have one or two, you might want to keep that info handy.... not me... but maybe YOU! LOL

but after a while, it became a pretty overwhelming task to keep them updated, organized and ...legible... LOL.. If I only had one or two then maybe it would make sense....

but after a while.... I just figured.... Why bother?

Mike in Michigan
04-12-2010, 04:05 PM
Try it for a year. Decide for yourself then if it is worth the effort

kevins_garage
04-13-2010, 08:12 AM
You mean like this?

Dear diary,

It was a beautiful day today, so I decided to go to the range. I shot 100 rounds through my Glock. I did really well and several people also told me I was a very good shot. There was this cute boy at the range that I have seen there before. I was afraid to go up and talk to him, but he looked at me a couple times and even smiled at me. When I got home, I cleaned my gun, ate dinner, and then got ready for bed. Today was the best day of my life...

pkuptruck
04-13-2010, 08:15 AM
You mean like this?

LMAO....

Classic. realy, truley.....CLASSIC!

shooter57
04-13-2010, 11:35 AM
The only logs I keep are for reloaded ammo for different guns.

jmartin
04-13-2010, 07:30 PM
Buffalo Arms has what they call a "Shooter's Notebook" - looks like just a spiral bound 6 column notebook - although it says waterproof (don't know if they just mean the cover, or each page...)

But it does sound like a good idea - at least for the cost, upgrades, S/N, round count, scheduled maintenance stuff.

RECON762WT
04-13-2010, 08:41 PM
I keep a shooting log that consist of
-what guns I shot at the range that day
-How many rounds were shot through each gun (helps to keep an accurate round count for you weapons and lets you know when maintenance needs to be done)
-what drills or style of shooting I did
-what were my average times on the drills were or groups in MOA
-what I sucked at and need to get better doing or what needs to be changed around with gun/gear

I also have data books for Precision rifles that are more about documenting conditions, dope, accuracy, and marksmanship issues. These are formatted and more or less don't really elaborate into many other areas.

Keeping a log has helped me to keep round counts on my weapons, hone in on practical training, track my progress (or lack thereof), and focus on gear/gun issues that need to be addressed.

willforu1
04-14-2010, 07:26 AM
At Edson's range my primary marksmanship instructor (PMI) I was taught to to record the dope (windage and elevation) of my rifle prior to firing the round, mark every round and then record the strike of the round and record any modifications to your wingage and elevation. This is a good practice.

Most importantly, you need to record the serial number of each weapon you own. I was just talking to a guy that got his weapons stolen by his inherited dead beat drug abusing kid from his 2nd marriage. He said his insurance would not pay because he did not have a list of make and serial numbers.

Galen_M
04-16-2010, 09:01 AM
You mean like this?

I'd say that is more of a diary. I could keep one of those, too, but I should probably hide it under my mattress.

.44Smith&Wesson
04-16-2010, 09:11 AM
I keep all my RI-60 copies and reciepts. Thats it.

Wow, keeping the targets shot with each gun? :confused:

Galen_M
04-16-2010, 09:59 AM
I agree, I think that is a little excessive. I mean, I probably have room in my house to keep a ton of targets, but I certainly wouldn't be able to make any use of them once they were piled a foot high everywhere. Maybe he means the factory target?

who dat
04-16-2010, 10:55 AM
Every shot fired, every malfunction, dates fired, brand and type of ammo, cleaning, and date of purchase, serial number, and date of sale.

Helps on resale as well as maintenance.

dmo8361
04-16-2010, 11:07 AM
I agree, I think that is a little excessive. I mean, I probably have room in my house to keep a ton of targets, but I certainly wouldn't be able to make any use of them once they were piled a foot high everywhere. Maybe he means the factory target?

Probably should have clarified. I keep one target of each kind of ammo shot through it. It's easier to fold up a target than it is to measure the holes to get the group size.

Galen_M
04-16-2010, 11:24 AM
That makes a lot more sense. I was thinking that maybe you were a super meticulous record keeper, with row upon row of filing cabinets of every piece of paper you had ever shot. There is nothing wrong with that, it just isn't a life choice I would make.

JCisHe
04-16-2010, 12:32 PM
Just keep the serial, description, and receipt... in a safe place.

J1000
04-16-2010, 06:53 PM
Yep, I keep a log for each gun in my phone and update anytime I go to the range or buy accessories, etc. I like knowing exactly how many rounds each has fired (or since I've owned them for the used ones). I also note the dates. I have a range membership, and when it's renewal time, I want to see if it was worth it, etc.

dpgperftest
04-16-2010, 09:37 PM

no SH*& spending more time on the books than having fun shooting .

dpgperftest
04-16-2010, 09:38 PM

no SH*& spending more time on the books than having fun shooting .

I am not a bean counter .but I am a ammo counter lol and no books

Knightrider03m
04-16-2010, 09:56 PM
The only thing that I do is keep my RI-60 (and my one PP). I do keep one of my targets that I keep for legal reasons when I 1st shoot my gun with my carry ammo.

greyofk
04-21-2010, 07:53 PM
The main reason I keep a log for my 2 rifles is reliability.
I record the rounds count, misfire and other failures (if any).
I also keep the records with reloading data and corresponding accuracy.
Now I exactly know what ammo is good and bad for my rifle, What magazine is the most reliable, what bullets and powder to buy.
By the way I came to reloading recipes quite different from Hornady reloading book
How would I know all this without records?

langenc
04-23-2010, 10:10 PM
Let the wife keep it or at least know where the log is kept.

Dont ever let the ladies sell these guns for what they were told we paid for them..

DGF
05-15-2010, 02:10 PM
Dont ever let the ladies sell these guns for what they were told we paid for them..

My wife will hate me after I'm dead when she goes to clear out my gun safe and sees the actual receipts kept by the green cards.

willowofwisp
05-16-2010, 08:30 AM

+1 i do exactly the same thing...except i clean every 1k-1.5k rounds lol