PDA

View Full Version : Soda machine safes...

Dongizmo
04-13-2010, 03:23 PM
I found this guy on Armslist, scroll to the bottom of the page he has some stripped machines & one set up as a safe...
Soda machines (http://www.highdesertvending.com/machines_for_sale.htm)
Kind of a hide in plain sight thing...

CitizenPatriot
04-13-2010, 03:32 PM
Dang, that is suh-weet !

Groo
04-19-2010, 12:50 PM
I bet Garbo would sell you some concrete to weigh it down for less than $80:wink:

YeahImPackin
04-21-2010, 07:13 PM
that seriously rocks...Ima have one soon LOL

Will-IB-Ready
04-21-2010, 07:46 PM
Pretty reasonable price too... Did I read $150 delivered in his area correctly on one of them? That's a bargain.

bad86ta
04-23-2010, 09:19 PM
I believe the price is JUST for the bare machine..
It does not come equipped like the one shown, that is just what it COULD look like....

one_fast_ls1
04-23-2010, 09:23 PM
I wonder if you can rig them to dispense ammo cans? nyuk nyuk nyuk :stooges:

Seriously though- that's cool!

JimSig
04-23-2010, 10:50 PM
How about a diet GLOCK..

Will-IB-Ready
04-23-2010, 10:57 PM
I believe the price is JUST for the bare machine..
It does not come equipped like the one shown, that is just what it COULD look like....
Yeah, I saw that, but still!... It's hard to believe you can get something like delivered to your door for $150! I actually wouldn't mind having to carpet it myself either. Then I could set the inside up however I wanted to.

Will-IB-Ready
04-23-2010, 10:58 PM
How about a diet GLOCK..
No. A diet Colt!

one_fast_ls1
04-23-2010, 11:03 PM
How about a diet GLOCK..

Sorry, fresh out of Glocks

http://i994.photobucket.com/albums/af68/one_fast_ls1/image11.png

No. A diet Colt!

Here ya go!!!

http://i994.photobucket.com/albums/af68/one_fast_ls1/vend_a_goat.jpg

Oops.... You said diet COLT, not diet GOAT... My mistake

Will-IB-Ready
04-23-2010, 11:17 PM
:lolup:

XDM 40 cal
04-25-2010, 09:44 AM
LMAO!!!!! Diet Goat! :crazy:

I like DR. springfield my self... Little spice and everthing is nice...:ukliam2:

JimSig
04-25-2010, 10:09 AM
No. A diet Colt!
You beat me.. That sounds better. :thumbup:

JimSig
04-25-2010, 10:12 AM
Sorry, fresh out of Glocks

http://i994.photobucket.com/albums/af68/one_fast_ls1/image11.png

Here ya go!!!

http://i994.photobucket.com/albums/af68/one_fast_ls1/vend_a_goat.jpg

Oops.... You said diet COLT, not diet GOAT... My mistake

:score: :score: :score: :score: :laugh: :laugh:

-db-
04-25-2010, 10:46 AM
That's a good idea. An older heavy refrigerator with a locking mechanism installed could serve the same purpose.

Will-IB-Ready
04-25-2010, 12:09 PM
That's a good idea. An older heavy refrigerator with a locking mechanism installed could serve the same purpose.
Except that people expect to be able to open refrigerators. Most people don't think about trying to open up a soda vending machine. Know what I mean?

-db-
04-25-2010, 12:25 PM
Except that people expect to be able to open refrigerators. Most people don't think about trying to open up a soda vending machine. Know what I mean?

True, but a pop machine inside a home is sort of out of place and might get a half-way intelligent criminal wondering, too. Or some crackhead might try opening it to to get quarters out of it lol...

one_fast_ls1
04-25-2010, 12:39 PM
True, but a pop machine inside a home is sort of out of place and might get a half-way intelligent criminal wondering, too. Or some crackhead might try opening it to to get quarters out of it lol...

Might make sense if you have a bar in the basement or something. Or if you collect coke or pepsi products, to have a coke or pepsi vending machine.

-db-
04-25-2010, 01:01 PM
Might make sense if you have a bar in the basement or something. Or if you collect coke or pepsi products, to have a coke or pepsi vending machine.

That's true. I like the idea overall. I looked for used vending machines on Craigslist the other day to get an idea of how much it would cost to build such a unit myself. There seem to be plenty available at around a couple hundred bucks. Getting some plywood and carpeting to finish the interior wouldn't be expensive. I think I'm going to do this as a summer project.

Buzzcat
04-25-2010, 01:24 PM

:yeahthat:

It's a cool idea, but impractical. And IIRC, once you manage to access the coin box, you can access the interior as well.

Will-IB-Ready
04-25-2010, 01:59 PM
:yeahthat:

It's a cool idea, but impractical. And IIRC, once you manage to access the coin box, you can access the interior as well.
With all of the nice stuff we all have laying around, they'd have to be pretty desperate to try to steal quarters :grin:

A vending machine like this would not look at all out of place in my house, in fact I think I would buy some collectibles to help decorate the area around it so it just looks like I'm a coke fan or something...

one_fast_ls1
04-25-2010, 02:14 PM
That's true. I like the idea overall. I looked for used vending machines on Craigslist the other day to get an idea of how much it would cost to build such a unit myself. There seem to be plenty available at around a couple hundred bucks. Getting some plywood and carpeting to finish the interior wouldn't be expensive. I think I'm going to do this as a summer project.

You know, funny thing is, I looked for a vending machine that actually worked just to put in my bar where i used to live- never thought about putting guns in it. I bet you could have half pop and half safe, so it WOULD dispense beverages or whatnot, and ALSO keep your guns safe... Not THAT would be stealthy! :)

-db-
04-25-2010, 02:16 PM
You know, funny thing is, I looked for a vending machine that actually worked just to put in my bar where i used to live- never thought about putting guns in it. I bet you could have half pop and half safe, so it WOULD dispense beverages or whatnot, and ALSO keep your guns safe... Not THAT would be stealthy! :)

That would be ideal. Of course, you'll pay a bit more for a nice fully-functioning machine.

Buzzcat
04-25-2010, 02:50 PM
With all of the nice stuff we all have laying around, they'd have to be pretty desperate to try to steal quarters :grin:

A vending machine like this would not look at all out of place in my house, in fact I think I would buy some collectibles to help decorate the area around it so it just looks like I'm a coke fan or something...

You're right. If it fits in with the decor, then perhaps it's an option. Basement, gameroom, etc.... But by the same token, if your decor supports a pop machine, then I'd think you'd want it to work...I'm not sure why you'd render it non-functional in order to store your guns.

It's a neat idea under the right circumstance, but I think it's an answer in search of a problem.

mechredd
04-25-2010, 03:30 PM
You're right. If it fits in with the decor, then perhaps it's an option. Basement, gameroom, etc.... But by the same token, if your decor supports a pop machine, then I'd think you'd want it to work...I'm not sure why you'd render it non-functional in order to store your guns.

It's a neat idea under the right circumstance, but I think it's an answer in search of a problem.

I was just thinking that if it could hold my guns and vend Mountain Dew, it would be perfect.

Dongizmo
04-26-2010, 10:53 AM
Most pop machines, unless you get a real antique, are pretty tough to get into....

tororider
04-27-2010, 05:05 PM

I was thinking the same thing. That would be awesome, have a pop and a gun and you are good to go.

billbrasky
04-29-2010, 07:09 PM

Not in a man cave. It would be pretty decent spot.

Better would be a fold out soffa with a horizontal safe, or a false wall. I have a false wall in my closet and a safe in there. Well as of know its just a safe as in a safe spot, but i made it big enough to put any safe i want. As of now its just guns against a wall, behind false wall, inside a closet.

billbrasky
04-29-2010, 07:13 PM

I am in a couple hundred homes per year. Many homes built in the 1950s and newer have finished basements with a bar. Certain neighborhoods they virtually all do. An older neighborhood with some new beer mirrors, a vintage counter, some posters etc, a pop machine fits right in.

I know people with all sorts of stuff like popcorn machines, espresso machines, commerical stuff people get off craigslist like restuant grade fixtures.

I know people that have store marques in the basement, like light up 4x8 signs on the wall.

Peoples basements can look like the inside of an applebee or TGI fridays with baseball jersey, license plates on the wall, duck decoys, and a inflatable giant budwieser bowling pin.

Anything goes in the man cave basement.

Jackhammer
02-18-2011, 10:36 PM
Got a free machine from a friend that worked at a local vending distributor. I've been very happy with the functionality. While it's certainly not impenetrable, it will keep the inexperienced riff-raff out for at least a little while. It definitely won't save your goods in the case of a fire but I figure that's what insurance is for. The only way it could be better is if I could have figured a way for it to dispense the firearm I want at the push of a button.

The Shepherd
02-19-2011, 03:17 PM
I did this back in 1996 except i mounted a beer tap on the front door and told people it was a cooler for a keg of beer and they never asked about it again, and the nice thing about it is you can bolt it to the floor., also you can use the coolers with glass sliding doors as a food dryer or to start your seeds.

donald150
02-19-2011, 03:48 PM
I would line the inside with a couple of layers of drywall to make it fire resistant.

That is a great Idea.

Think of all the other things you could hide guns in.
I was thinking about something like a old pinball machine or arcade game. There is tons of room in them.

JHill
02-21-2011, 09:12 PM
Great idea!

akrapovic
03-24-2011, 06:39 AM
pretty slick

3fingervic
05-14-2011, 02:03 PM
I saw this a while back on a site while doing a search for homemade gun storage. I bought a used machine (early 80's) that didn't work for $50. I removed the interior and got $20 for the scrap metal. Then I lined the cavity with ply wood from storage bins that a shop was throwing away. Before I put the ply wood in place I covered them with grey felt ($25). I then went to Gander Mnt. for interior inspiration. The gun rests were easy, just drill 1.5" evenly spaced holes into the middle of a length of 2x4, cut it in half length wise with a table saw. You will the have two sections of gun rests. The hard part is felting the gun rest sections. My machine could hold 27 guns, not that I have that many), it has 1 shelf across the top and three nice sized shelves on the whole right side. The self on the top doesn't take up the whole depth of the interior. I did that so I can accommodate about 6 longer firearms, up to 52".

The whole thing cost me less than $100. I'll post some pics on Mon. or Tues.

Buzzcat
05-14-2011, 02:12 PM
I saw this a while back on a site while doing a search for homemade gun storage. I bought a used machine (early 80's) that didn't work for $50. <snip>

The whole thing cost me less than $100. I'll post some pics on Mon. or Tues.

Fine and dandy... but why not tell the baddies your address as well so they'll somehow ignore the pop machine if/when they break in?

Just sayin'... Loose lips sink ships.

3fingervic
05-16-2011, 09:37 AM
I hear ya. I was leery about putting it on here, but thought I could assist a few people. Hopefully, no criminals are checking this site.

rambro
12-03-2011, 05:40 PM

I am getting two of them. One working, one will be a safe. Also the working one will be half filled with beer.

This is sweet.

3fingervic
02-05-2012, 07:39 AM
If anyone is really interested in having/making one, PM me.

Divegeek
02-13-2012, 02:07 PM
Okay...Which one of you just bought a used Pepsi machine in Adrian? My dad sold one on yesterday and the guy said he was going to turn it into a gun safe.

1911mike1969
04-14-2012, 09:55 AM
thats a really cool idea...
but what kinda cheap sob has a vending machine in his home lol...
hey dad can i have a soda...yup its $1.25...
wait thats brilliant! no soda would come out and if it could be done it would be an awesome way to collect money for your next purchase...
just put a "no refunds" sign on it...

standley70
10-29-2012, 07:10 AM
Built on out of old machine. Wired it and have safe rod in it, guns haven't rusted yet. Keep in in garage. Bolted to floor. Motion detector from house alarm on inside, if door opened and code not punched in alarm sounds. Think weights a ton. Welded piece of steel over opening in back where compressor was. filled bottom with cinder blocks and welded steel to front. good luck getting away with this thing. Used a door switch from home depot to turn light on sand off. Pulled all wiring out of front and used rope light to make it look like its a working machine.
Machine 200
Supplies 150
Piece of mind knowing if they cant find my guns they cant steal them; priceless

Kenbow
11-06-2012, 09:33 AM
Built on out of old machine. Wired it and have safe rod in it, guns haven't rusted yet. Keep in in garage. Bolted to floor. Motion detector from house alarm on inside, if door opened and code not punched in alarm sounds. Think weights a ton. Welded piece of steel over opening in back where compressor was. filled bottom with cinder blocks and welded steel to front. good luck getting away with this thing. Used a door switch from home depot to turn light on sand off. Pulled all wiring out of front and used rope light to make it look like its a working machine.
Machine 200
Supplies 150
Piece of mind knowing if they cant find my guns they cant steal them; priceless

Very Nice!

jetttstream
11-06-2012, 09:42 AM
I love the idea--awesome

JohnJak
11-06-2012, 05:41 PM
I have tried Standley's but it doesn't except quarters.

standley70
11-07-2012, 05:55 AM
John,

now you know why the machine took your money.

chaplainD13
11-08-2012, 10:28 PM
sweet! :coffee:

dogfacedsoldier
11-09-2012, 04:16 AM
agreed... slick!

JohnJak
11-09-2012, 06:21 PM
John,

now you know why the machine took your money.
I tried a dollar bill and it laughed at me.

DarkSydeAcres
01-02-2013, 10:03 AM
Fine and dandy... but why not tell the baddies your address as well so they'll somehow ignore the pop machine if/when they break in?

Just sayin'... Loose lips sink ships.

Was just thinking the same thing.
Side note, It is a clever concept. I own a Halloween seasonal Attraction, DarkSyde Acres Haunted House and we are constantly converting items to create misdirection and illusions of.

Jon586
01-03-2013, 10:45 PM
Agreed...when it comes to the man cave, there are many who go "all in"...so a vending machine fits well.
Seems like a great hiding spot to me...and a few hundreds lbs of concrete in the bottom means no lag screws required...
Lets see them drag that up the stairs, lol

ductileiron98
01-03-2013, 11:08 PM
I have a ten year old icebox that just quit working. To expensive to fix. It would make a decent firearm vault also. Instead i'm using the icebox as a nice target piece at the farm..