PDA

View Full Version : Bummer....forgot to clean ....

Jerry
10-12-2003, 08:13 PM
I have a cva eclipse? 50 cal inline rifle that I failed to clean when I put it away.

So, its been sitting for a year with pyrodex powder residue in it.

The muzzle is pretty rough and have not tried to get a patch down the rest of the way yet. The rest of the gun is good...since I wiped it with one of the silcone cloths before putting it in a gun case (soft sided). It is all dissasembled except for the breech plug is not out yet and will be pretty tough to get out since it will be scumed up.

I was wondering ...anyone try naval jelly on the rust in a barrel? and if so how did it work?

Thanks.....JR

45 acp
12-08-2003, 06:02 PM
Dont feel bad Jerry
I did the same thing .
Anyone got any I deas on how th get the rust out of the barrel or is it just scrap metal? Prob. wont shoot very accurate even I can get it clean.

Jerry
12-08-2003, 06:17 PM
45acp....Well ....It took 2 hrs of brushing and swabbing and I kept getting rust color out of it.

I finally got it to a minimum by taking some steel wool (med grade) and wrapped it aroung the brush and forced it through a couple of times....swabbed and added more steel wool to the brush till I finally got most of the rust out.

I figure if I shoot it alot and keep it clean that the barrel will come around.

I still have shiney lands but there is still some rust in the grooves...I hope it will break loose after shooting....I hope! :D

JR

ANIMAL
12-11-2003, 10:14 PM
keep a cleaning and don't forget the lesson you just learned.

No. the barrel is not scrap.

alex-vitek
12-12-2003, 07:55 AM
I am not disagreeing with you but could you explain this?

Jerry
12-12-2003, 03:42 PM
Well I finally shot my guns and they are both fine!

They both shoot as good as before so I am relieved to be sure!

Now to keep them clean and oiled.......but once the rust is started it is really important to keep alot of oil on the rust to inhibit futher rusting.

ANIMAL
12-12-2003, 08:35 PM
ANIMAL wrote:

I am not disagreeing with you but could you explain this?

Hiya Alex,

Most of what they have is minor surface rust, although it does look very bad. it looks worse than it is. chances are he may have some very minor pitting. but it would be so slight that it won't affect the way the gun shoots.

I have cleaned up many guns like this for the .... umm forgetful type person. and they have all come out just fine. That said, if it is left for a longer period of time, well, then you can probably use it for a horseshoe peg.

Also do NOT leave a muzzleloader loaded as the powder is very corrosive. not sure about Pyrodex.

Jerry
12-12-2003, 08:44 PM
[quote=

Also do NOT leave a muzzleloader loaded as the powder is very corrosive. not sure about Pyrodex.[/quote]

One of my guns had blackpowder in one and the other had Pyrodex pellet residue in it and both sat for the same amount of time.....the Pyrodex was much more hard to clean then the blackpowder.

Just my observation.......

RSF
12-12-2003, 09:04 PM
if you use steel wool i would recomend the green scoure pads! cut to fit and oil! i have some stuff used by a major company to get rust out of colection guns that is very good! not cheap but works well also a patch of jb bore compound and oil helps too

alex-vitek
12-13-2003, 05:18 AM
Most of what they have is minor surface rust, although it does look very bad. it looks worse than it is. chances are he may have some very minor pitting. but it would be so slight that it won't affect the way the gun shoots.
That has been my experience with most of the minor surface rusting in the bore. Was just wondering if we were on the same page, so to speak.

45 acp
12-19-2003, 12:54 PM
Thanks for all the help
got it cleaned out 3+ hours of scrubbing with brushes and green scour pads.
I used break fluid that really broke up the rust. Took it out ans shot a 5 shot group that measures about 4.5 inches off hand so I guess I saved it.
Now that I have some time this weekend I hope to go out and get some venison with it.
P S break fluid was a tip from a guy at work it worked really well.

alex-vitek
12-19-2003, 08:05 PM
P S break fluid was a tip from a guy at work it worked really well.
Another little automotive item that sometimes comes in real handy is a can of Marvel Mystery Oil. It can work wonders when other oils or penatrants fail or are just working slowly.

Jerry
12-19-2003, 09:13 PM
Hey Alex....The MMO tip is a good one....especially since I use it in bulk in my Goldwing oil and gas to keep everything clean.

I should have thought of that one myself!

JR