PDA

View Full Version : Working until midnight

Hillman
10-18-2003, 09:08 AM
I recently started a new job. I will be the supervisor for a staff of 4 on the midnight shift. The building does not have security guards or metal detectors, and although our office area is secured by card access, the doors to the building remain unlocked, and the parking lot is likewise unsecured. Of course, "firearms and other dangerous weapons" are prohibited in the building and parking lot. [Side note: without guards or detectors, concealed means concealed, if you know what I mean.]

I'm evaluating courses of action in the event our office area is compromised (disgruntled employee, street goblin, etc).

I will be phoning dial-a-prayer as soon as feasibly possible.

There is only 1 entrance to the office area. Escape out a back entrance is not an option; and the office is not on the ground floor so window escape is not an option either. Provided there is time to retreat, I think taking refuge in an office farthest from the threat and locking the door is better than scurrying about the office. Of course, this is dependant on the type of threat. (I see a gun, there will be no retreat.)

The staff is typically very young, first job. Not a lot of real-life experiences. Should I try to corral them into an office as well?

Your thoughts and opinions greatly appreciated.

Quaamik
10-18-2003, 10:32 AM
Plan on trying to corral those workers you can immediately get too as well.

Also, I suggest continuing to look for a new (better) job. Bring up to your management that you would feel much more comfortable if you could lock the door after normal business hours.

And personally, I'd get a "deep cover" type gun and carry anyway.

BigDaddy40
10-18-2003, 11:27 AM
me too

Wesley w/Glock
10-20-2003, 12:03 PM
And personally, I'd get a "deep cover" type gun and carry anyway.
I think, reading between the lines, that is what he is already doing.

As far as the question of coraling, I think that during any lethal threat event it would be impossible to establish order. The people will go where they are driven in panic mode. Your plate will be full just trying to do what you must do. You can't be expected to take responsiblity for those who have not already provided for their own security. You are talking about something like waiting until a fire happens to have a fire drill. Keep in mind that they were dumb enough in the first place to put themselves into a questionable environment without any means of self defense. Bear in mind also that one or more of them may be, like you, carrying discretely (though unlikely).

My suggestion doesn't mean you have to ignore other's needs. Until the threat is neutralized your needs come first.

Ktulu
10-20-2003, 03:25 PM
If possible, withdraw to a defensible area and wait for the police. If you must shoot, shoot until the threat is vaporized....I mean neutralized.

Ktulu
10-20-2003, 03:34 PM
On the matter of defending co-workers, this sums it up perfectly.

You can't be expected to take responsibility for those who have not already provided for their own security.

I'm sure you would like to help if you could, but you need to watch out for number one or you'll be up to your eyeballs in number two.

Lumpy_3
12-24-2003, 06:35 AM
If possible, withdraw to a defensible area and wait for the police. If you must shoot, shoot until the threat is vaporized....I mean neutralized.

I think a better word would be, "Uthenized"

:wink:

ANIMAL
12-24-2003, 10:48 PM
I'm sorta fond of the term Smoke Em :shock: