PDA

View Full Version : April IDPA Match at Detroit Sportsmans Congres

Jerry
04-18-2010, 02:55 PM
Hi Shooters!

The Detroit Sprortsmans Congress is having their first IDPA match of the 2010 season this Saturday April 24,2010.

Match sign in is at 9am first run starts at 10am and the second sign in is at noon with the second run starting at 1pm.

This is the first match of the season and the guys and girls have chosen a hollywood theme...stages are taken from a movie scene an should be fun to shoot!

Come on out and have some fun!

www.d-s-c.org

contact me via pm or email for more info.

Jerry

HoldHard
04-22-2010, 03:17 PM
I have a Glock 21 with a Crimson Trace laser on it. It's one of my two carry weapons. I don't want to take the laser off as that would change how I carry it everyday.

Can I still shoot an IDPA match with this setup or will I be chased off and told "go shoot with those IPSC racegun guys"?

HH

Jerry
04-22-2010, 05:29 PM
I have a Glock 21 with a Crimson Trace laser on it. It's one of my two carry weapons. I don't want to take the laser off as that would change how I carry it everyday.

Can I still shoot an IDPA match with this setup or will I be chased off and told "go shoot with those IPSC racegun guys"?

HH

HH...as long as the laser does not work I believe you can use the gun as long as it fits the IDPA gun box and is not overweight.

Thanks for asking...if you need more info just let me know...JR

HoldHard
04-22-2010, 10:08 PM
HH...as long as the laser does not work I believe you can use the gun as long as it fits the IDPA gun box and is not overweight.

Thanks for asking...if you need more info just let me know...JR
The laser works. Removing it would mean that I'd have to re-zero it when it was put back on. It's on my every-day carry gun. So Crimson Trace are illegal for IDPA?

Interesting concept in that people like Massad Ayoob carry them for self defense.

Isn't that what IDPA is about? Practice what techinques and skills you may need on the street with the equipment you carry everyday?

HH

http://www.crimsontrace.com/images/products/lg617.jpg

Jerry
04-23-2010, 12:13 AM
The laser works. Removing it would mean that I'd have to re-zero it when it was put back on. It's on my every-day carry gun. So Crimson Trace are illegal for IDPA?

Interesting concept in that people like Massad Ayoob carry them for self defense.

Isn't that what IDPA is about? Practice what techinques and skills you may need on the street with the equipment you carry everyday?

HH

http://www.crimsontrace.com/images/products/lg617.jpg

Hey I do not make the rules for IDPA I just try to follow them...:)

The way the rules are written you would have to take the batteries out and use the gun without the lazer or use a different gun that does not have a lazer on it...JR

Rules for IDPA can be found here>>> www.idpa.com

JR

mitommy
04-23-2010, 01:58 PM
IDPA claims that they do not want to get into a gear race. The thinking is that if lasers were allowed then everyone that wanted to be competitive would need one.

Club level matches usually take some latitude with the rules. I've see matches that do not require removing the batteries as long as the laser is not activated while shooting (some lasers have an on/off switch).

I've also seen shooters allowed to shoot using the laser but not for scoring against other competitors (just for fun / practice). That allows for shooting practice yet not escalating the equipment requirement for other shooters.

Just a thaught.

HoldHard
04-23-2010, 02:43 PM
Since the Crimson Trace is activated with a grip switch, there is no On/Off switch.

I've decided to just bring the G35 and talk to the Match Director about shooting on the second flight with the G21 for no score, just practice.

We'll see how it goes.

Thanks,
HH

wurm
04-23-2010, 08:42 PM
HoldHard, I look forward to having you at our match tomorrow. I don't know what bay I'll be working but I'll be out there somewhere with a red hat on, something waterproof and a G35 on my left hip.

Mitommy pretty much nailed it about IDPA trying to avoid an equipment race. Same reason your Glock 21, if shot in CDP, could only be loaded with 8 rounds in the magazine. It keeps it even with the poor single stack 1911 guys. In the end it is a game with set rules and clubs who want to run official IDPA matches are supposed to follow them. Nobody is saying a laser isn't useful, just that it makes it harder score people with wildly different equipment. Heck, Massad Ayoob shoots IDPA and recommends it in a few articles I've read. Consider it practicing for if your laser ever goes down :)

Just an idea, if you want to temporarily disable the laser but don't want to yank the battery, you could always throw a piece of tape or a band aid across the lens. Shouldn't muck stuff up too much.

Trebor
04-24-2010, 03:26 PM
Just get back from the match.

Good match. Nice people, good stages, well run. Nice job.