PDA

View Full Version : First Steelhead!

CnA
04-20-2010, 12:34 PM
Here is a pic of my better half with her first Steelhead. We went fishing in Newaygo this past weekend.

pkuptruck
04-20-2010, 12:43 PM
nice! :thup:

but I dont see the campfire, grate, and three sticks of butter to dook it with>??? :drunk:

who dat
04-20-2010, 12:45 PM
What steelhead?:wink:

CnA
04-20-2010, 01:59 PM
nice! :thup:

but I dont see the campfire, grate, and three sticks of butter to dook it with>??? :drunk:
She made sushi out of half of it. Even ate some of the roe raw. No joke. :toss:

The other half of the fish that I ate was properly cooked with lemon, dill, and black pepper.

mikethepike
04-20-2010, 05:44 PM
Can we see the monster on the right as well?
Looks as you went on a guide w/ a drift boat? Pissing the steelies off with flatfish?

What was the technique. ???

Thats great that she hooked into the fish of 1k casts:salute: . Make it an annual event and take pics every year to compare later. Awesome.

I used to do power trips all the time to the au sable...Leave at 3pm friday fish all day and into the night. Get up ass crack in the morn and fish till sunday at 6pm and drive home. Logged over 4k miles doing this and never caught 1 steelie---ugh!!! I was using the same set up and presentation the locals were...just never hooked up.
Now we troll for them in Canada and limit out all the time

Buzzcat
04-20-2010, 05:56 PM
She made sushi out of half of it. Even ate some of the roe raw. No joke. :toss:

The other half of the fish that I ate was properly cooked with lemon, dill, and black pepper.

Hah! When the SHTF, she's going to be like "I used to have a boyfriend/husband, but he starved to death because we ran out of dill, pepper and lemon." :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just kidding.... :wink:

But I would have joined her in that sushi feast in a second. Fresh raw steelhead? Roe? Damn, that sounds good!

Dammit... now you've given me a sushi jones.

CnA
04-20-2010, 06:31 PM
Can we see the monster on the right as well?
Looks as you went on a guide w/ a drift boat? Pissing the steelies off with flatfish?

What was the technique. ???

Thats great that she hooked into the fish of 1k casts:salute: . Make it an annual event and take pics every year to compare later. Awesome.

I used to do power trips all the time to the au sable...Leave at 3pm friday fish all day and into the night. Get up ass crack in the morn and fish till sunday at 6pm and drive home. Logged over 4k miles doing this and never caught 1 steelie---ugh!!! I was using the same set up and presentation the locals were...just never hooked up.
Now we troll for them in Canada and limit out all the time
I done my fair share of bumming trips from friends on their boats in the Great lakes trolling, but never river fished for Steelhead. "1k casts". You're not kidding. It's a heck of a lot more work than trolling.

We did a charter on the Muskegon River, casting spawn on 6 lb line and letting the current carry it down past the fish. The spawn bag was about 3 feet from a sliding sinker that bounced on the bottom. It took me a while to get the big one in on only 6 lb line, but it was fun.

She hooked into a larger one than mine close to evening, but the fish shook off the hook just before it was netted. I was bummed. Really wanted her to get the bigger fish.

I was going to spare everyone looking at my ugly mug, but it comes with the big fish and the pretty lady. Got to take the good with the bad!
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x166/CnAPhot/Steelhead%20fishing%2020100416/steelhead.jpg

Hers
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x166/CnAPhot/Steelhead%20fishing%2020100416/Asfish.jpg

Mine. The ice in the cooler discolored it a bit.
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x166/CnAPhot/Steelhead%20fishing%2020100416/Chucksfish.jpg

mikethepike
04-20-2010, 06:41 PM
Were they getting airborne in the river? Wow you should see them fly in the lake when you have a 3" spoon in their mouth...FANTASTIC.

I smoke most if not all and mix it with cream cheese, sour cream and green onions for a nice salmon pate'....great on crackers

CnA
04-20-2010, 06:50 PM
Hah! When the SHTF, she's going to be like "I used to have a boyfriend/husband, but he starved to death because we ran out of dill, pepper and lemon." :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just kidding.... :wink:

But I would have joined her in that sushi feast in a second. Fresh raw steelhead? Roe? Damn, that sounds good!

Dammit... now you've given me a sushi jones.
How about trying some of this mudfish that my wife eats?
:naughty:
The smell can be described as putting a catfish out on a dirt road, rotting during hot summer days for about 2 weeks, let a few cars run over it, then have a few brave dogs roll in it. Add fish sauce, lemon juice, and hot sauce for bold flavor.
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x166/CnAPhot/Food/snacks.jpg

who dat
04-20-2010, 06:54 PM
The smell can be described as putting a catfish out on a dirt road, rotting during hot summer days for about 2 weeks, let a few cars run over it, then have a few brave dogs roll in it. Add fish sauce, lemon juice, and hot sauce for bold flavor.
Isn't mud fish the same as the big headed carp?

Fish sauce should be in everyone's pantry...good stuff.

Buzzcat
04-20-2010, 07:00 PM

Ya know, at the hands of a competent chef, I'd try it...

I'm not as bad as that bald dude on cable who goes around the world eating bugs and deep-fried monkey fingernails (whazzisname?), but if it's a family recipe, I'll give it a shot.

mikethepike
04-20-2010, 07:08 PM
:naughty: I'll give you 10.00 if you down that 25oz's of fish sauce:etoh: --You can do it!:mischeif:

bebesteph
04-20-2010, 07:14 PM
My first steelhead. Of course, it was also my last. Congrats to your wife for going out and fishing with you. I'd do it again but it would have to be 70 degrees and sunny.

CnA
04-20-2010, 07:22 PM
Isn't mud fish the same as the big headed carp?

Fish sauce should be in everyone's pantry...good stuff.
Mud fish is a type of Asian carp. Not sure what type of carp though.

Yes, fish sauce is good stuff. It's a great enhancer and brings out the different flavors and aromas of food. We use it in thai food, chili, pork loin, jerky, roast beef, ect. If anyone tasted my wife's cold meat salad at the MGO annual picnic, it had fish sauce in it.

However, putting it on something that already smells putrid like preserved mudfish is just bad; at least to my taste buds.

Buzzcat
04-20-2010, 07:56 PM
If anyone tasted my wife's cold meat salad at the MGO annual picnic, it had fish sauce in it.

First it was sushi, now you're making me consider Steak Tartar on a bed of fresh greens...

Dude, you're messin' with me... stop it.... please.... :lol:

BBstacker
04-20-2010, 08:43 PM
Damn,I,ve gone to White Cloud 3 times since 4-1-10. fished Croton Dam & Tippy.about 6 fish & 50 people,me=0.lol. They bite =Yesterday/tomorrow when I go. If you don,t already know,Northwoods wholesale,In -Pinconning-has some Good deals.Rapalas/3/$9,minnows & crawlers=$!.00-doz. Only thing is -NO-Checks! Alot of poles/reels.

1gunnyman
04-20-2010, 10:06 PM
congrats on the steelie!:multi:

Just A Girl
04-22-2010, 08:53 PM
mix it with cream cheese, sour cream and green onions for a nice salmon pate'....great on crackers

OMG--that sounds awesome!

windago
04-23-2010, 09:36 AM
What guide service did you guys go with?
The ones we use are all catch and release so I'm surprised that you guys got to keep your fish.

I was up on the Pere Marquette 4/16-17 and only landed two really small rainbows. Hooked into a nice hen but never got her close to the boat before she got off of the fly.

Man did it get cold up there last weekend.

who dat
04-23-2010, 09:44 AM
What guide service did you guys go with?
The ones we use are all catch and release so I'm surprised that you guys got to keep your fish.

I found out about that years ago when we first pulled out of the landing. I had a rainbow on about 100' out of the launch area, landed it, and the guy said we were catch and release only. I told him to take me back to shore, on my trips that I pay for, I make the rules. I was not happy and neither were the other 5 guys in the 3 boat group.

I believe in catch and release, don't get me wrong. But those terms should be laid out well in advance of any contract.

We eventually worked out a keep one each, release the rest deal. The same way we always fish...works fine.

CnA
04-23-2010, 10:20 AM
The better half and I went with Captain Art at steelheadcharters.com.

ETA: It all depends on the time of year and what part of the river is catch and release, or what you can keep. The DNR regs can be confusing.

Wolvee
04-23-2010, 10:44 AM
I was going to spare everyone looking at my ugly mug, but it comes with the big fish and the pretty lady. Got to take the good with the bad!

Is it appropriate to make a Woody Allen & Soon-yi joke here? Old guy and a young asian wife? LOL
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x166/CnAPhot/Steelhead%20fishing%2020100416/steelhead.jpg

Fish looks great and I now I'm jones'n for some sushi as well. Anyone know of a good Sushi bar in or near Royal Oak?

who dat
04-23-2010, 10:47 AM
The better half and I went with Captain Art at steelheadcharters.com.

ETA: It all depends on the time of year and what part of the river is catch and release, or what you can keep. The DNR regs can be confusing.
That is true. The catch and release I referred to was only for that which was legal possession. If it's legal to keep at the time and place we fish, it's my decision what I keep, not the guide's.

CnA
04-23-2010, 11:18 AM
Is it appropriate to make a Woody Allen & Soon-yi joke here? Old guy and a young asian wife? LOL

Fish looks great and I now I'm jones'n for some sushi as well. Anyone know of a good Sushi bar in or near Royal Oak?

I'm 48, she's 46. Plus it's a really bad pic of me. She looks good anytime!

who dat
04-23-2010, 11:23 AM
I'm 48, she's 46. Plus it's a really bad pic of me. She looks good anytime!
Looks like we all ought to start drinking fish sauce and eating mudfish!!!

Wolvee
04-23-2010, 11:31 AM
^ Damn right! Good for you CNA! lol

josey wales
04-24-2010, 06:05 PM
nice catch,steelies are a lot of fun we used to have a cabin on tippy dam rd about 1/2 mile from tippy dam we caught alot of steelies up there