Rolex Dr.
11-02-2003, 01:04 AM
Hi all

sorry have to brag a bit

my first real weekend to bow hunt ended real fast this week

I got my 3 bow shot buck this weekend,
actually Friday morning at 7:50ish AM

He was the 6th deer i saw that morning and the 3rd arrow i shot :cry:

I have not been shooting my bow at all this year other then a few quick arrows to make sure it was all tuned in, and i had 2 major brain farts, on my distance and pins (damn super fast bows all you need is 1 pin to 30 yards)

well to make a long story short i shot over 2 differnet does in a matter of 20 minutes and passed on 2 does and a button buck (cute little bugger, but I almost had to shoot him to get him to quit bothering the hot doe that was buzzing my tree)

well then the smallish 6 point started cruising the does ,making them all crazy, once he got wind of another buck in the area he got a tad pissed and started pawing the ground and grunting like a pig. When he got to the same spot the little guy was at he bolted straight across the field right at the base of my tree, at 10 yards i was already at full draw adn coulf not get to a call or tube so i did the next best thing, I whistled at him he jammed on the breaks in mid stride and WHAM the splitfire ripped through him and sent him crashing towards the brush and it was over in about a total of 50 seconds, from the time I saw him to i shot him to he fell dead.

He was about 140ish dressed 1.5 years old, 6 point with outside spread of 11 inches (not a monster by any means but since my bow hunting weekends are very slim this year he will taste just fine)

That's hunting, too bad it was too warm to get digital pics (I have to buy one instead of keep borrowing others) so I had to have him butchered friday eve. (I normally do my own but was afraid with it being 70+ degrees I had to get him done)

SO i will try to post the reg pics once i scan them in next week

JAmie

Red Sector A
11-02-2003, 07:24 AM
Congrats Jamie! Sounds like this was a great week for you.. your CPL and then a Buck!

I dont hunt myself .. but I support hunters rights to hunt. I am glad to see when people state that they are going to eat it. Hate to see something killed purposely but it isnt consumed.

Enjoy!

Roz
11-02-2003, 02:03 PM
Congrats Jamie!

Hey Red, I'm a hunter who consistently eats what I kill... (let me rephrase that... when I kill), and at any rate, there are a couple of charities that will take a deer carcass dress it for free and distribute it to the needy. I can't remember their names right now, but will post info as soon as I can find it....

I guess if you aren't going to eat what you kill the next best thing is to give it someone who will.

Rolex Dr.
11-02-2003, 07:30 PM
I agree I only harvest what we eat

last year our family was lucky/skilled enough to shoot 2 in gun season

we ate 3/4 of mine and gave the rest to my cousin who missed one.

and we gae almost all of my dads to guys he works with they love it and we had more then enough for us that year.

On a side note I pheasant hunted today (in the rain) and we shot the daylights out of them.

We (my father,and my brother, and I) were invited to a European hunt at the Huntsman in Dryden. WOW, WOW, WOW

there were 38 guys we shot over 600 birds again this year last year it was almost 700.

I know I personally shot at least 25 birds myself. In the later walk up we went 16/17 birds i shot 9 (roosters-and hens)

It was awesome now i need some good dinner ideas

We brought like 35-37 birds home

Jamie

Roz
11-02-2003, 07:51 PM
Nothing in the world like roast pheasant. Too bad I don't upland.. yet...

Autumnlovr
11-02-2003, 08:40 PM
Jamie, Congrats!
Now...what part of the state were you in? I just got back from 9 days around Oscoda & things were REALLY quiet up there until about Thursday. No sign of the rut. But, then on Thursday & Friday evening I had a nice little 4-point flirting and teasing me, but he just would NOT come close enough to play! I'm going back up Friday (the 7th) and I sure hope he brings his big brother....or even his old man over for dinner!

Rolex Dr.
11-04-2003, 01:07 AM
We hunt a 120 acre private farm in Saginaw county

actually we are in saginaw county, but the deer i shot walked across a field that is half in shaiwasee county, and west about 600 yards is gratiot and clinton county

we are 6 miles south of the rilfe border in the corner of 4 counties (I have to be careful where they fall :lol:

The buck i shot was the only one chasing does (or antlerless), my uncle had 19 different does (13 in one herd) all chasing and playing all over him friday and sat , but no horns

My dad saw nothing but does and fawns this weekend

I leave again fri nite for the weekend hopefully the monsters show back up----------opening morn my uncle had a 20+ inch 10 pt come in to about 70 yards and kick up a bigger taller 8pt and they bedded down at like 100 yards for 4 hours and walked the wrong way, then later that week he has video of a bigger 10pt (has to be 24+ and about 220lbs) at 100 yards for like 30 minutes ---he got so tired he had to quit taping so his arms could draw the bow if needed.

I know there is a Big spike running around near my tree so there is hope for my dad to get a nice one

we need cold to get them going and the full moon is gonna help

Jamie