PDA

View Full Version : NRA gun-safety program for Va. grade schools criticized

CyborgWarrior
04-25-2010, 08:19 AM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/04/20/AR2010042003752.html?hpid=sec-education

RICHMOND -- The Virginia General Assembly has directed the state's Board of Education to develop course materials for teaching gun safety to elementary school children that incorporate the guidelines of a National Rifle Association program.

The measure (http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?ses=101&typ=bil&val=hb1217), approved during the legislature's recently concluded annual session, allows local school boards to choose whether to implement the program.
A leading Democrat in the state Senate had amended the bill to allow the state board to also incorporate materials from a second group, the National Crime Prevention Center. But Gov. Robert F. McDonnell (R) has proposed stripping the amendment from the bill, leaving the reference only to NRA material.
A McDonnell spokeswoman said there is no such group as the National Crime Prevention Center. The similarly named National Crime Prevention Council, best known for its McGruff the Crime Dog (http://www.mcgruff.org/) programs, did develop a gun safety curriculum several years ago, but a spokesman for the group said it has not been updated in several years.

kudos to Virginia

from the comments

The real agenda of the NRA is to educate our children to emulate the slave owning, indian murdering, misogynists that founded this country. If they prevail we will not need police or a legal system, we just whip out the guns we wear on our hips and blow away anyone we decide has no right to live. Way to go McDonnell/Robertson, Virginia has finally come to it's angle of repose. Stupid is as stupid does."

patriot1988
07-23-2010, 01:01 PM
This should be taught in all schools...guns are part of American society and culture, whether some people like it or not. People should know basic safety rules/precautions, just as if they were to cross the street. I struggle to understand how people could be opposed to this, being that its sole purpose is to prevent injuries and save lives.

pkuptruck
07-23-2010, 01:30 PM
This should be taught in all schools...guns are part of American society and culture, whether some people like it or not. People should know basic safety rules/precautions, just as if they were to cross the street. I struggle to understand how people could be opposed to this, being that its sole purpose is to prevent injuries and save lives.

guess it has to do with that pesky.."personal repsonisbility" thing...

It is much easier to have the "gubberment" take care of you, than having
to be bothered to do it yourself....:brow:

good for you VA!! :score:

Missahba
07-23-2010, 11:11 PM

Patriot, I agree with you and support teaching gun safety. But you have to be kidding about not understanding where the opposition is coming from. Let me explain.

They are opposed to it because their agenda doesn't include objective measures to protect children, it only includes moving us in the direction they want. They oppose guns in any positive light because they know our guns help preserve our liberty, and stand in the way of their goal. Their objective is single party state control, i.e., tyranny. You should stop struggling with an opposition whose creed is the end justifies the means. To them, what is the death of a few children for the greater cause of wiping out individual liberty? When they get the guns, then it will easier to take everything else, including the bill of rights, your property, your choice at the ballot. The whole thing.

You read the opening phrase of the comment didn't you? Misogynist, like the founders, etc. etc. They hate this country, and what the constitution stands for. You need to recognize them and call them on it when you see it. :hot: