PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Buck Tag

alex-vitek
11-18-2003, 05:07 PM
boehr,

As you might already know, the current hunting/trapping regulation booklet is getting out of hand. It is harder and harder to understand.

So, I used my general buck tag on a 5 pointer Sunday. Can I purchase a second buck tag.

I think I have the antlerless tag system figured out but am really getting confused every time I try to figure out the buck tag program.

Randycad
11-18-2003, 10:42 PM
I wanted to do that last year and called the DNR they told me you must buy the combo for public land. I did that this year but no luck yet :( .

Rolex Dr.
11-19-2003, 12:27 AM
Guys from what i was told and have read

if you buy the combo its for 2 antlered bucks 3" or more for the 1st one, the second one has to have at least 4 points 1" or more on one side. This is valid on all lands in mich. public privatewhat ever

now if you hunt an DMU that says no spikes or must be 4 or better on the first then that rule applies to the 1st tag

here is a kicker
I shot a 6 point oct 31, then i shot a 7 point nov 8th (damn hard to see that 4th point until it was almost too late to get a good shot)

so i cannot shoot a buck with my gun( but i have 2 antlerless permits for private land) but no public land one ---new rule private land permits are for only private, and public for public sucks huh

my luck is a monster 10 point with a 24" spread will stop and bed down right in my blind and all i can do it sit

oh well i will take its picture

Jamie

alex-vitek
11-19-2003, 07:22 AM
So, if someone buys a buck tag for $14 and fills it they then cannot go back and get a second one for $14?

And, some of the people responding here keep mentioning a combo tag for "public" lands. Why not a combo tag for "private" lands.

I can remember the days when the firearms deer season rules fit on one page.

Rolex Dr.
11-19-2003, 11:33 PM
basically how i read it is a combo tag (2 kill tags) is what is needed since you cannot buy 2 firearm tags/2 bow tags

why how knows thats why the DNR is screwed up if a guy just gun hunts let him buy 2 gun tags no lets mess with his head and sell a combo tag----Good Job Kool (you monkey *****) the DNR director

but no where is there the distinction of private/public distinction for anything but antlerless

Archery Deer Hunting License

It is unlawful to purchase more than one archery deer hunting license. This license entitles residents and nonresidents 12 or older to take one antlered or antlerless deer during the October 1-November 14 or December 1-January 1 open bow and arrow deer season. Exceptions: South Fox Island, Drummond Island, and DMUs 118, 122, 135, 152, 155 and 252 (see Special Regulations).

Firearm Deer Hunting License

It is unlawful to purchase more than one firearm deer hunting license. Residents and nonresidents 14 or older may take a deer with at least one antler three inches or longer during the November 15-30 firearm season or during the muzzleloading season. Exceptions: South Fox Island, Drummond Island, and DMUs 118, 122, 135, 152, 155 and 252 (see Special Regulations).

Combination Deer Hunting License

Residents and nonresidents are entitled to purchase one license with two kill tags (regular and restricted) for use during any firearm hunting season (regular firearm and muzzleloading) or archery seasons. A hunter can use both kill tags in the firearm seasons, both in the archery season or one in each season. Youngsters 12 and 13 are restricted to archery-only hunting.

The regular combination kill tag can be used in the archery seasons to tag either an antlered or antlerless deer. The regular combination kill tag can be used in the firearm seasons to tag a legal (3 inches or longer antler) antlered deer of any size except for those areas with exceptions as noted (see Special Regulations).

The restricted combination kill tag can be used in the archery seasons to tag an antlerless deer. It also can be used to tag an antlered deer during either the archery or firearms seasons if the antlered deer has at least one antler with four or more antler points each one inch or longer. It is unlawful to use this tag on a smaller antlered deer regardless of the season or area in which it was taken.

alex-vitek
11-20-2003, 10:01 PM
The rule book is getting worse every year. I can remember when the DNR would ask for input on how to make it easier to understand and look at the mess we got.

Still have a couple of private property antlerless tags left and 10 days.

Rolex Dr.
11-21-2003, 02:12 AM
you know whats funny

is the DNR is so screwed up that never check unless you get stopped

here is an example a buddy of mine went to the UP shot a 6 pt went in to town and, unknowen to him till today when i told him about our disccussion here, and bought a 2nd tag illegal

but the never check or cant check

a friends girlfriend is a DNR office near Jackson actually caught uncle Ted buying illegal antlerless permits 2 years ago (he bought more then 1 per day) more then once he had like 11 permits plus more for the family

her boss said dont rock the boat

hell we would be in jail

JD