PDA

View Full Version : need advice on rifle purchase

Rolex Dr.
11-23-2003, 10:07 PM
Hey guys,

Im a slug gun guy thru and thru but I am making a trip out west for elk next year and nee help on a first rifle purchase

I need/ want a bolt action rifle, I am real partial to a Ruger 77MKII (I have a .22 on this action and love it)

I was orig. thinking a .308 but I dont think its enough gun

I will use it for elk and Mulies out west, but will try to hunt whitetails here in Michigan--and anywhere else for that matter--

I also have the chance to shoot antlopes in North Dakota

I know there is no one magic bullet or caliber but I want the most bang for my buck

My second thoughts were maybe a 7mm mag or .30-06
Im thinking more alone the lines of a .300 win mag, or maybe a .300 WSM

Help now hurry I have until next Nov

Jamie

RSF
11-23-2003, 10:15 PM
if it were me i would be looking 270,300win mag or 300ultra but 270 is a great choice flat fast and accurate

goldwing2000
11-23-2003, 10:29 PM
.50 BMG all the way, baby! :thup: :twisted:

Just fyi, 30-'06 is ballistically almost identical to a .308. The .308 is a more modern cartridge and uses higher pressures to achieve the higher numbers. They both use the same bullets, so the effects are the same across the board. They're both accurate to 1000 yards but definitely won't take down big game at that distance with any confidence.

I'll stick with the BMG.

Freetime
11-23-2003, 10:49 PM
I have to agree with Deputy, the .270 is a great round for out west where you often get some nice long shots! I've used it for Mule deer and Antelope in Wyoming and also Whitetail in Mi. Nice flat shooting round and plenty powerful enough for everything you've named you intend to hunt. I originally used a Remington Model 700 L/H in 7mm Mag, too much gun in my opinion, you waste a lot of meat usually. I switched to a Ruger #1 in .270 and believe me it's a lot nicer as far as recoil and all the power you'll need! Still use the same set-up today. Bigger isn't always better when hunting. NOW if you're going after Bear get Goldwing's BMG :shock: Of coarse this is just my opinion :roll:

Roz
11-24-2003, 08:06 AM
Jamie,

Ignore Kane. To quote my wife "all you'll have left is hooves and other assorted little bits" if you hunt whitetail with the .50BMG. Especially if he has any evil HE rounds... are they even legal for civie use?

taurus92
11-24-2003, 08:22 AM
Jamie,

Ignore Kane. To quote my wife "all you'll have left is hooves and other assorted little bits" if you hunt whitetail with the .50BMG. Especially if he has any evil HE rounds... are they even legal for civie use?

Well go for a head shot if you use the 50... wont have anything to mount but you wont waste any meat.

I also am partial to the M77. Nice action

goldwing2000
11-24-2003, 09:07 AM
Jamie,

Well, I wasn't thinking of MI whitetail specifically. I was thinking mountaintop-to-mountaintop shots out west.

But yeah, headshot is the way to go. I'm not a trophy hunter, so I'm not worried about the inevitable decapitation.

And I don't have or use HE (high explosive) rounds. Those are most definitely NOT legal for civvie use. I just have APITs (armor-piercing incendiary tracer). :biggrin:

enfield
11-24-2003, 09:22 AM
I just have APITs (armor-piercing incendiary tracer). :biggrin:

The original Silvertip! :lol:

goldwing2000
11-24-2003, 09:59 AM
I just have APITs (armor-piercing incendiary tracer). :biggrin:

The original Silvertip! :lol:

Blue, actually... but close enough! I'm sure the color of the tip is pretty much irrelevant if they're zipping past you at 2800 fps. :wink:

Dale
11-24-2003, 11:16 AM
Any of the .30 caliber rounds will likely do well. The .30-06 can be loaded with heavier bullets than the .308 Win but they are similar ballistically. If you hand load, the .30 magnums would be an excellent choice; make some hot stuff for out west and some mild loads for Michigan.

Personally, I have four .30-06 caliber rifles, each is set up for a different weight bullet. I have an older Ruger Mk-77 Mannlicher with a 4x scope on it and that's what I use for deer in Michigan (180 grain).

Rolex Dr.
11-24-2003, 07:09 PM
Thanks guys

I like the .50 but im thinking more along the lines of a Normal Rifle

Im gonna have to shhot each caliber and see what fits me the best

i may just have to call HS percision and be done with it

How about a .300 WSM??

I read today in a hunting mag about the new .223 WSSM (super short) at 3850 fps DAMN thats smokin too bad its a varmit gun

JAmie

Roz
11-25-2003, 07:48 AM
Being the avid hunter that I am *cough*, I own a 700PSS in .308, a MK77 in .30-06 also on the mannlicher and a 970SHR in .30-06, which you are more than welcome to borrow/test/use.

The last deer I took was with a .40S&W! Prior to that it was with a STG-58, and the year prior to that, a .303 Enfield. Don't let anyone tell you that your deer rifle MUST be in .270, .308 or .30-06, go with what you want/feel most comfortable with.

RSF
11-25-2003, 06:57 PM
If i was having a rifle built i would have answer prouducts do it there in davidson, they have built several rifles for me and friends ans well as militiary and leo units they do just as good at less money or else d&l sports of wyoming they are the best for custom guns!

Jerry
11-25-2003, 07:59 PM
I inherited a 303 enfield from my Dad. I had a scope installed and sighted in at Will's Gun shop in Spruce,MI.

The first deer I shot with it was at 165 yards...the bullet hit right where I was aiming and went through the spine and ran the length of the body and came to a stop after passing through the rear round and lodged next to the skin.

The cartridge was winchester 180 gr soft point. The bullet deformed to twice its original size and was mostly intact when recovered.

I guess I got a shooter!

I wish my 700 rem in 30-06 would shoot this good!!!

JR

Autumnlovr
11-26-2003, 10:15 PM
I'm comfortable with my 30-06, Sako makes a right fine rifle. But, if you really want to go for it: Lock, Stock & Barrel in Oscoda is raffleing off a 460 Weatherby. From what I hear, it's 97 lbs of recoil.

Renegade
11-26-2003, 10:26 PM
Here are a few questions to concider before making your selection.

Will you be doing a lot of walking?

What is the maximum range you expect to shoot?

Are you recoil shy?

I have 2 .300 Rem. Ultra mags and love them.
One is a Remington 700, LSS & the other is a Browning A-Bolt syn/ss.

I had Answer products install muzzel brakes on both. The A-Bolt kicks the crap out of you with out the brake. Both guns are so pleasant to shoot now a person could shoot them all day.

Quaamik
11-27-2003, 12:44 PM
I second the idea that you need to answer (to yourself) some more specific questions as to what you will be doing.

What is the maximum range you expect to use the rifle on Elk at? (if you are going with a guide, you can ask him how close you should expect to be able to get).

A .30-30 or .45-70 should be sufficiant if the shots are within 100 yards. The .45-70 has the hitting power to reach out beyond that, but the rainbow like trajectory means you have to be damn good with it to put the shot where it needs to go much beyond 150 yards. A .308, .30-06 or .270 should be more than enough out to 200 yards. Past that, personally I'd suggest something a little heavier or at least premium heavy for caliber bullets. Most people I've talked to who have hunted a lot really frown on shots beyond 300 yards at anything other than groundhogs. Any of caliber you can use to take Elk, you can later use on Whitetail (overkill?, what's overkill? How can it be "too dead"?)

How much walking do you plan on doing, and at what altitude, and how good of shape are you in?

If you plan on walking a lot, especially if you will be packing gear in and meat out, you will want the lightest rifle you can tolerate recoil wise. That will definately affect your choice in calibers (you may have no problem with the recoil of a .300 Win Mag in a 9 lb rifle, but what about that same cartridge level in a 6 lb rifle?). On the other hand, if you're going on horseback, will be walking little and are in good shape, you may want a heavier rifle to take advantage of a heavier caliber.

What's your budget and do you reload?

You can get a good rifle in a common cartridge for $300 - $400. Ammo for practice will cost around $0.75 - $1.00 a shot, expect to need 200 round minimum to become proficiant, perhaps double that. A top of the line ultralight rifle, in an uncommon caliber, could cost you $3000, with ammo running up to $2.00 or more a shot. You would still need the same amount of ammo and probably more to become proficent with it.

That means your price can vary from $300 to $3000, with an additional $200 to $800 in ammo if you don't reload. Tha makes the price tag vary from $500 to almost $4000. Needless to say, your budget will likely impact your choice.

Rolex Dr.
11-29-2003, 02:12 PM
Hey thanks to all that have responded

Roz I may toak you up on your offer just to see what feels the best on the shoulder.

Jeff I like you last response, it brought more varibles to the table then i thought about, More home work i guess

Recoil has never really bothered me (hell ask Roz Im a little guy now imagine me at 14 i was less then 100 lbs and i shot constantly with 12 ga with slugs cuz shooting at the time was fun)

I am basically a bow hunter so long shots are not my style. but being practical im gueestimating no farther then may 200 yards if that far

i have a fear of shooting a elk or a big mule deer and having it head for the next county, those animals are not like our whitetails I have heard personal accounts of a mulie shot thru both shoulders run/drag and jump several fences. before being anchored with a 2 and 3rd shot

I know that can happen with a .338
but i want that animal down and NOW

Most of my shot should be close under 100 yards but if i have to reach out and touch one i want to be able to escpecially if a antlope shows it face

Jamie

Roz
11-29-2003, 06:30 PM
Jamie,

Name the time and place, and I'll be there, provided the wife hasn't gone into labor. You've helped me quite enough. I'll bring my STG-58, you might decide you want one of those instead...

Rolex Dr.
11-30-2003, 04:51 PM
thanks Roz

Congrats on the baby (in case i forget once the little one comes along)

and we will shoot probably will have to wait till after holidays too busy in Dec at the store

JAmie