PDA

View Full Version : Detroit River: Warning Signs Of Unsafe Fish Posted

pgaplayerless
04-27-2010, 09:50 AM
DETROIT -- Signs will be posted at popular Detroit River fishing spots to help identify fish that are safe to eat and which ones to avoid.

The group Friends of the Detroit River is working with the Michigan Department of Community Health and other organizations. Volunteers plan to post signs starting Thursday in cities including Detroit, Ecorse, Grosse Pointe, Riverview, Trenton and Wyandotte. Chemical contamination has made it unsafe to eat several types of fish from the river, including catfish and carp.

The signs depict how to remove fat from fillets, which can eliminate some contamination. They also direct people to Detroit-area lakes where catfish and carp can be caught that are safer to eat and less contaminated.

A fish consumption guide is on the state's website.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/23270813/detail.html

Since there are people actually eating fish caught in Detroit River.

Personally, if one type of fish is toxic, all are suspect, so I wouldn't eat them!

Teamster
04-27-2010, 01:27 PM
http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/23270813/detail.html

Since there are people actually eating fish caught in Detroit River.

Personally, if one type of fish is toxic, all are suspect, so I wouldn't eat them!

actually the Detroit river is pretty clean and if you catch a fish in Erie or st clair how do you know it wasn't in the river.walleye spawn in the river

Buzzcat
04-27-2010, 01:40 PM
The DNR has given the exact same warnings and standards for fish consumption for the last 15 years or more... and not just for the Detroit River, but pretty much for all lakes, rivers and streams statewide.

Alarmist reporting of a non-news story by Ch 4, IMO.

pgaplayerless
04-27-2010, 01:45 PM
The DNR has given the exact same warnings and standards for fish consumption for the last 15 years or more... and not just for the Detroit River, but pretty much for all lakes, rivers and streams statewide.

Alarmist reporting of a non-news story by Ch 4, IMO.

If that's the case, it makes you wonder how toxic those fish really are!

mishooter
04-27-2010, 02:05 PM
If that's the case, it makes you wonder how toxic those fish really are!If you're on the water late on a dark night, and it's calm, you can see 'em glow.

pgaplayerless
04-27-2010, 02:21 PM
If you're on the water late on a dark night, and it's calm, you can see 'em glow.

wonder if that let's you see where they dumped Jimmy Hoffa :brow:

Ruger
04-27-2010, 02:48 PM
wonder if that let's you see where they dumped Jimmy Hoffa :brow:

Jimmy's not in the river! :lipseal:

Super Trucker
04-27-2010, 06:55 PM
Jimmy's not in the river! :lipseal:

I have a freind that swears he knows where he is. His story puts him very near the river.

Ruger
04-27-2010, 09:05 PM
I have a freind that swears he knows where he is. His story puts him very near the river.

Very near is NOT in the river! He's not in the river!:lipseal:

cessnapilot
04-28-2010, 03:55 AM
If that's the case, it makes you wonder how toxic those fish really are!

That's it then, no more fish at all - I'm switching to ribeye steaks.

UpNorthWOLF
04-28-2010, 04:31 AM
I've had students who eat the fish they catch in the lower Rouge! I made them sit behind a lead curtain in the back of the room :)

mikethepike
04-30-2010, 10:55 AM
Anybody go to a restaurant and eat a perch dinner? Where do you think those perch come from ??? 1st of all they are netted in Canada.. Water that helps fill Lake Erie came thru the "D" river.

Eat Tuna? Has mercury in it

Beef? hormones and antibiotics

Cat? They ate rats, mice, & birds

:deal2: Read the warnings and abide...its not a big deal

TomE
05-08-2010, 07:03 PM
The online guide also said last year not to eat any panfish over 9 inches out of inland waters anywhere in Michigan if I remember correctly.Gosh I hate to throw back those 10 inch crappies,but according to the guide they are "crappy"

sse
05-08-2010, 07:39 PM
I've seen a few two-headed fishermen and I'm beginning to get concerned.

mikethepike
05-09-2010, 06:01 PM
I've seen a few two-headed fishermen and I'm beginning to get concerned.

My ex is 2 faced...does that count?

sse
05-09-2010, 06:58 PM
That wouldn't be considered abnormal.

24ever
05-11-2010, 01:52 PM
Very near is NOT in the river! He's not in the river!:lipseal: If Jimmy found his way into "hot dogs", he certainly ended up near the river, near Tiger Stadium!

Groo
05-12-2010, 11:50 PM
Come on guys.

everyone know he moved to Cuba for the great health care system. There is no need to spread the rumor that he was murdered.

now lets get back to the discusion; do the fillets clank when you put them in the pan?

automech
05-13-2010, 12:05 AM
I always thought the Tefflon in my pan would cancel out the mercury in the fish! Damn! Lied to again!:banghead:

screagles
05-13-2010, 12:21 AM
Theres a really good fishing spot in Monroe in the power plant discharge canal, but the catfish we catch are not safe to eat at all. shame.

Quack Addict
05-13-2010, 10:31 AM
Last I remember, the way 'the officials' come up with their toxicology statistics for Great Lakes fish is to take a whole fish (head, guts, skin, scales, fat, fillets & all), grind it up to a fine paste in a blender, then they take their toxicity readings from that.

Not sure about other guys, but I don't eat fish heads, guts, scales, skin or the 'dark meat' under the skin.

IMHO, I would rather eat Great Lakes fish I caught myself than ANY store bought fish. Where do you think store bought fish come from?

Somewhat unrelated, anybody else see the Dirty Jobs episode on tilapia farming? Those CARP (tilapia is a fancy name for carp) eat each other's fish poo and are often used to 'clean' the poo-water from catfish farms and such. No wonder they say carp tastes like chit.

sse
05-13-2010, 10:42 AM
As long as I can cut off the belly meat and fat, skin it and grill it, I'm eating it.