PDA

View Full Version : 3 gun targets-where to purchase/how to make?

David in MI
04-29-2010, 08:44 PM
A friend and I would like to get a mini-range set up on his property and mimic what we are likely to see on 3-gun courses. I would like to compare pricing on constructing the targets ourselves vs. outright purchasing them. Any information, links, suggestions and pics would be helpful.

BobM
04-29-2010, 09:06 PM
MGM targets, Action targets are 2 places we get our steel from.

your steel needs to be hardened, Brinell 500, for rifle, otherwise you'll get punch throughs

I had some targets cut out of 1/2" A36 plate for pistol, and they held up pretty good so far.

Bob M

David in MI
04-29-2010, 09:11 PM
Thanks, I'll check them out. I found a lot of info here as well: http://www.6mmbr.com/reactivetargets.html

ltdave
04-29-2010, 10:03 PM
Brinell 500, for rifle, otherwise you'll get punch throughs

back when i first started shooting IPSC/USPSA (90-91) we NEVER shot steel with rifle but i know things have changed...

if youre feeling froggy, you can go to a steel/iron place and get 'drops' that USED to be pretty cheap because they arent big enough for most customers needs...

2/3 or USPSA poppers are WAY easier to make and move because they dont weight nearly what a full size popper does. definitely get 1/2" or 9/16"...

mine has maybe 3,000 rounds (pistol) on them with nothing more than needing paint...

there used to be a place that sold pre-cut steel that you attach to your own base and the steel was hardened but i dont remember where i found them. it was pre-internet...