PDA

View Full Version : SEEKING... Semi-auto rifle advice for std marksmanship

seeker01
04-30-2010, 08:09 AM
i am toying w/ the idea of doing the appleseed course later this year

here is what i understand...
- the weekend takes about 400-500 rounds
- you CAN use rimfire (but i don't wanna :batman:)
- lever action seems awkward for the course, since you have a lot of movement that will mess up your posture/sight alignment/picture
- bolt action probably is better, but still lots of movement and opportunity to mess up your follow up shot
- I have a .308 bolt action that would probably require a mortgage payment worth of ammo to use, and would leave my shoulder purple

so...
- would like (if possible) to stay true to the spirit of appleseed/revolutionary war/history buffs/etc, by using American service rifles or the-like (western world), as opposed to soviet block [i said i would like, but not required]
- consider that getting the ammo should not break the bank or be some hard to find caliber
- since i shot the m-16 (5.56/.223) while in the corps, this caliber seems like a reasonable alternative (?)
- AND, PLEASE temper the advice to this bubba's budget (~300-500)

your thoughts on caliber, rifles, etc.?

pkuptruck
04-30-2010, 08:14 AM
why not a M1 Carbine? Ammo is a bit pricey ( 21 - 30 bucks a box of 50..)

but, it is
light
handy
semi-auto
reasonably accurate for your purpose.
and a lell of a lot of fun to shoot!

seeker01
05-02-2010, 10:07 PM
why not a M1 Carbine? Ammo is a bit pricey ( 21 - 30 bucks a box of 50..)

but, it is
light
handy
semi-auto
reasonably accurate for your purpose.
and a lell of a lot of fun to shoot!
...would be nice but i would need to find one that i could afford
or if anyone is out there with an ar15, now that would be a thing of beauty
:bounce2:

jolari
05-02-2010, 10:34 PM
I shot the Appleseed at Fenton a couple of weeks ago and it was a great course! I went through 400 rds of .30 carbine and ran out on the second day so definitely bring at least 500 rds of what ever you plan on shooting. I reload so it wasn't too expensive to shoot the carbine. I would suggest a .22 if you don't reload.

You will want a magazine fed semi-auto with two mags as you will be shooting courses of fire that require you to make a mag change. You will be shooting a stage that requires you to start standing and then get into a seated position, shoot 2 rds, change mags and then shoot 8 more rounds in 55 seconds. Another stage requires you to start standing and then get into a prone position, shoot 2 rds, change mags and then shoot 8 more rounds in 65 seconds. You will also need a sling to shoot the course. Attached is a picture of how they teach you to shoot with a sling. Notice that the sling is attached to your upper support arm.

You will also notice that some people used optics and if you can't see well I would suggest that as well. The targets are at 25yrds but simulate 100, 200, 300 and 400 yrd targets. They can look mighty small when using iron sights. A peep sight would make it a little easier if you want a real challenge. My brother made rifleman shooting a 217 using a Ruger 10/22 with standard sights. My best score with the carbine was a 182 using standard sights but I started the weekend shooting a 117 so that was quite the improvement.

I highly recommend this course. It was a lot of fun and I learned a lot about shooting and revolutionary war history.

intheburbs
05-02-2010, 10:43 PM
Honestly, the best rifle for an Appleseed shoot is a 10/22. However, I did not own a 10/22 when I went to my first Appleseed, and I brought my AR. I made Rifleman at my second Appleseed, using the iron sights.

I'll make you a deal (asssuming you're coming to a Michigan Appleseed) - as a way of showing my appreciation for your service to our country, I will loan you my Appleseed AR. You bring the ammo, I'll bring the rifle and plenty of mags. I'll be one of the instructors at both of the Dundee shoots, and also the Fenton shoot in October (moved from Williamston).

The rifle is a S&W M&P 15, with a national match (narrower) front post. Its favorite ammo is Federal XM193 5.56. PM me if you're interested.

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s146/variseal/MP15-1.jpg