PDA

View Full Version : Higgings Lake - DID THE TRIP... WHAT A BLAST!

seeker01
05-05-2010, 08:12 AM
taking the little one to get some 'luxury camping' in a KOA resort ;-)
i hope to drown some worms, too
anyone from there or have visited the area that can offer some advice or 'you gotta stop by X'?

UPDATE 6/2... thank you for all the advice!
LODGING
- KOA on the north shore... recommend! we used one of their YURTS (luxury, from a camping perspective) the staff is great and very helpful

BEACH & Activities
- North and south shore are awesome... if you have little ones, stay away from the south one if you want to save $. The S shore has a VERY NICE store, hard to walk out without buying the little ones something (lol)
- Fish Hatchery was officially closed when we went, but they were working on stuff, so the guys let us feed the fish anyway... it was a really nice gesture of them and they were very accommodating to let me give my son the experience. Thumbs up for these guys!

FOOD
- Fred's in Roscommon was GREAT!, little one even had his first round of bowling; the staff could not have been any more accommodating
- Angels place in Roscommon was so-so, food ok and prices ok; service really good... but food needs help there
- Silver Dollar was really good, food and prices! more of a bar atmosphere; depending on time of day, not as little-kid friendly IMHO

GENERAL
Not only did we have a great time... but we meet some of the nicest people at the beach. Some local and some folks from other metro areas. REALLY RECOMMEND THE VISIT!

HVYMTLMEC
05-05-2010, 10:03 AM
Very nice choice for a family vacation. There are so many places to go to in that central location of the state. It will be a little bit of driving but these are the places I would go to and have gone to.

>Hartwick Pines State Park .........free just requires state park sticker for your car.

>The DNR fish hatchery in Graying is pretty cool........free just requires state park sticker for your car.

>Rent a canoe on the Au sable river .....it cost money but it is a nice afternoon trip. You can rent canoes in Grayling.

....well thats a start and there are a bunch of members here that could probably point out other places of interest.

Good luck.

Howard000003
05-05-2010, 12:32 PM
Very nice choice for a family vacation. There are so many places to go to in that central location of the state. It will be a little bit of driving but these are the places I would go to and have gone to.

>Hartwick Pines State Park .........free just requires state park sticker for your car.

>The DNR fish hatchery in Graying is pretty cool........free just requires state park sticker for your car.

>Rent a canoe on the Au sable river .....it cost money but it is a nice afternoon trip. You can rent canoes in Grayling.

....well thats a start and there are a bunch of members here that could probably point out other places of interest.

Good luck.

The fish hatchery is still open? I thought that closed a few years ago? (It's been a while since I've been out that way)

bk17
05-05-2010, 12:41 PM

x2
always great fun. and they have little areas that you can pull the canoe over and picnic and swim, kids can catch frogs and whatnot. waters are mellow too if you never been there.

g-unit
05-05-2010, 01:46 PM
Merritt speedway

HVYMTLMEC
05-05-2010, 04:14 PM
The fish hatchery is still open? I thought that closed a few years ago? (It's been a while since I've been out that way)

Well I guess they charge a small fee now and it is run by a local group.
see below. Good place to take the trolls though.

http://graylingfishhatchery.com/fishhatchery.htm

Howard000003
05-05-2010, 10:06 PM
Well I guess they charge a small fee now and it is run by a local group.
see below. Good place to take the trolls though.

http://graylingfishhatchery.com/fishhatchery.htm

Ah DNR no longer runs it, that was what I was thinking of. My grandparents took me and my brothers there a few times when we where younger. I enjoyed it.

And I agree with canoeing, always fun and a good river to take kids on, slower and nothing to hard to navigate.

seeker01
05-05-2010, 10:36 PM
thanks for the tips... the canoe will be a 'must do'
the fishery looks promising, too

i would not have thought of those without your advice
:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

hotkarl
05-05-2010, 11:03 PM
If you are into SCUBA diving its a great lake to dive. There are lots of things to see and the visibility is the best you will find in Michigan, < 50ft at least. Watch for boats you will need a flag for sure and you may need a dry suit this time of year.

HVYMTLMEC
05-05-2010, 11:22 PM
If you are into SCUBA diving its a great lake to dive. There are lots of things to see and the visibility is the best you will find in Michigan, < 50ft at least. Watch for boats you will need a flag for sure and you may need a dry suit this time of year.

.....Higgins lake (JUST FYI) is considered high altitude diving.. BTW.

Enjoy your trip it will be a blast.

Done Deal
05-06-2010, 10:10 AM
If you plan to swim from state park to state park.....you may enjoy the break at Treasure Island.

Jblack44
05-07-2010, 07:50 AM
Wildlife museum in Grayling is a good rainy day trip. Hit the Silver Dollar for eats on the west side of the lake. Fishing is better on Houghton Lake, but Higgins is the best for boating and relaxing! Crystal clear water and the shore line is knee to waist deep for 100-200yds from shore. Great for the kids to play around, while you relax.

who dat
05-07-2010, 08:57 AM
On M55, on the south side of Houghton Lake on Houghton Lake drive, at 3900 West is Ron's Coney Island. This is the original owner of Athens in Royal Oak. He and/or his family still operate this spot that Ron opened after he sold Athens and retired.

It's for sale now, but still operating AFAIK.

For the great taste of home, it's Ron's and it's still original.

langenc
05-07-2010, 12:32 PM
Coyles Restaurant buffet-if sr Citizen go on Tue for best deal.

Done Deal
05-07-2010, 01:02 PM
Coyles Restaurant buffet-if sr Citizen go on Tue for best deal.

Nobody leaves that place hungry, thats for sure. Cheap feed for the family.

seeker01
05-08-2010, 06:01 AM
now i ve got food stops too
yummy

seeker01
05-15-2010, 08:35 AM
i am soooo ready for this trip
if you guys have any other trips, bring them on!
:banana:
:banana:

seeker01
06-02-2010, 10:39 AM
... added a debrief on the original posting

Howard000003
06-03-2010, 01:08 PM
Glad ya had fun, it's a great spot for a family vacation

Done Deal
06-04-2010, 07:12 AM
... added a debrief on the original posting

How did the swim go?

seeker01
06-10-2010, 10:33 AM
How did the swim go?
SUPER... we could not get the little one out of the water, he would not event want to stop playing to get a drink
I was chasing him with a juicy box and granola bar... i must have looked comical

Even when he was hungry and tired, it was "no, daddy, no... sand castle please" or "no, no, no... i not hungry"

Toledo Kid
06-10-2010, 10:55 AM
Long time since I have been to the South Park. I can remember though the water for about 200yds out was bath water warm.
Great Place!!! :cheers:

Done Deal
06-10-2010, 03:59 PM
Long time since I have been to the South Park. I can remember though the water for about 200yds out was bath water warm.
Great Place!!! :cheers:

Hit the drop off and the temps drop. The Higgins Lake Challenge was always an endurance swim for the entrants, partially because if the distance of the open water swim and partially do to the toll that the low water temps took on the swimmers. I remember seeing people turning blue from the cold---in late summer when the water was the warmest.

Higgins is a beautiful lake....both in terms of the body of water and....the scenery that the bodies in the water provide. Treasure Island has more eye candy than a candy store....