PDA

View Full Version : Green Mountain Barrels

yengese
12-30-2003, 03:27 PM
Anyone here ever use a barrel from Green Mountain. Do you like/dislike them and why. I was thinking about them as a possible source for a blackpowder rifle.
thanks

Jerry
12-30-2003, 06:14 PM
Several folks I know have used the Greenmountain barrels on their black powder guns and have been happy with the results.

You buy exactly what you want for your needs.

Ye Olde Powder Shoppe in Auburn,MI used to sell them. The Shop was all blackpowder stuff.....I really like that store!.

JR

ANIMAL
12-31-2003, 12:17 AM
Green Mountain is very good. they can also be had from Dixie Gun Works #1 Gunpowder Lane, Union City, TN.

or Kenockee trading post in Ruby Mi. up around Port Huron. Anson or Judy can get you just about anything you'll need or want.

yengese
12-31-2003, 07:02 AM
I was going to build a Jim Chambers kit, but Track of the Wolf has the exact style I was looking for, only they use Green Mountian barrels instead of Getz. I know Getz is at the top of the pack, but I was just wondering if the Green Mountain ones can hold up, since this rifle will hopefully be my main rifle.
Is the Olde Powder shop still around?

karcent
12-31-2003, 09:11 AM
No.
Sadly, Ye Olde Black Powder Shoppe has closed its doors.

Animal has recommended Kenokee Trading Post. I would second that recommendation. Anson has been around almost as long as there has been black powder!

yengese
12-31-2003, 01:11 PM
got an address or phone number for them?

karcent
12-31-2003, 01:46 PM
Kenockee Tradin' Post
7350 Beard Road, Kenokee, MI (just west of Port Huron)
1-810-324-2577

yengese
12-31-2003, 02:19 PM
thanks a bunch!

Jerry
12-31-2003, 03:13 PM
I just called the Ye Old Blackpowder Shoppe and the message says they are closed till wednesday 1.7.2004 and they give a time that they will be open.

So....are they out of business? I am not sure...Yet..

I will call on Wednesday to find out ...cause I need some equipment.

Their phone number is....989.662.2271

They are located just off of the x-way us-10 by midland. Take 10 west from I-75 and go north on Garfield, go tofirst traffic light and go east...the shoppe is on the north side of the road right next to the gas station.

yengese: if you would put some general info in your profile....we would be able to better help you out as far as locations and stuff. You dont have to tell the city you live in just a general area of the state would help.

JR

yengese
12-31-2003, 03:56 PM
its not like its a secret, I am just lazy.
I live in Dearborn
Are the shops worth the drive?

Jerry
12-31-2003, 04:37 PM
its not like its a secret, I am just lazy.
I live in Dearborn
Are the shops worth the drive?

I am not knockin' ya....just want to help ya out.

The black powder shoppe in Auburn,MI has only blackpowder stuff...stocks to refinish(work to your liking),barrels,powder(of course) all kinds of parts for repairing, rod ends, brushes, bullets,shot, books,etc,etc,etc, they also used to have a museum in the back that was really good to see.Civil war guns and artifacts.

They also have frontier clothing and utensils for those of you who go to rendezous and camp.

Oh Yeah, the have guns too.

Ask to see the block of polycarbonate that was shot with a 22 cal, and a few other calibers, the one that really got my attention is what a 50 cal round ball will do ......compared to the other so called high power bullets.

I really do hope that Y.O.B.P.S. is still open!

Is the Y.O.B.P.S. worth the trip? For me it is...a 1 1/2 hr leisurly ride to a shop that has it all! Its worth it to me....for you it may be too far or not what you are looking for but there is only one way to find out.

karcent
01-01-2004, 09:45 AM
I just called the Ye Old Blackpowder Shoppe and the message says they are closed till wednesday 1.7.2004 and they give a time that they will be open.

So....are they out of business? I am not sure...Yet..

I will call on Wednesday to find out ...cause I need some equipment.

Their phone number is....989.662.2271

They are located just off of the x-way us-10 by midland. Take 10 west from I-75 and go north on Garfield, go tofirst traffic light and go east...the shoppe is on the north side of the road right next to the gas station.

JR

Interesting.
I was told that the inventory was liquidated and the owner had moved to Maryland. This was related to me by many different sources.

ANIMAL
01-01-2004, 11:44 PM
Ansons is worth the trip, oh yea. He also has classes on building your own. makes his own trade silver too, nice stuff. Thats if your into the buckskinnin end of things.